Ok, maybe I'm nuts, but what length is true shoulder length??

tricie

I've seen and read so many different threads/post about lengths of hair, APL, SL, BSL, WL, etc. that I am thoroughly confused about the one that makes a difference to me right now, shoulder length; that's what I am closest to, I think. :spinning:

Is it SL if it is past your collar bone?
if it is to your shoulder blades?
if its to the edge of your shoulders?
if it brushes the top of your shoulders?

Please help ladies!! TIA! :)

Why did I have have to go to meez.com and get one of these cute little chics? :)

Last edited:

sowhut

I considered myself shoulder length when the ends of my hair touched my shoulders even when i tilted my head forward.

zora

Great question.

For me, it depends how full your hair is. If you have full and even hair (or long layers)and the back of your hair is touching the top of the shoulders, I'll consider it shoulder length.

But if you have thinnish hair and the front a'int long(like me), the back of your hair needs to touch the shoulder blade (traps).

jovan787

I was thinking the EXACT same thing cause I'd see people an inch away from APL saying they were shoulder length and here I am barely touching my shoulder and I was thorougly(sp?) confused but I just assumes if it touched your shoulders you are at Sl.

BTW- I think there should be a length between SL and APL maybe TSBL (Top of Shoulder Blade length)??

CAPlush

I think when the end of your hair passes your neck, you are shoulder. To me, collar bone is a bit longer than shoulder.

Nita81

I guess when it at least the back touches your shoulders....I was curious if mine was considered SL. I asked in a thread awhile ago and was told I am SL.

Blackoutzangel05

I would have to agree with what has been stated, for me sl is when your hair touches your shoulder, be it the top of your shoulder or falls slightly past. Right now I consider my hair shoulder length because its not even an 1" past my shoulder...however when I did my braids I notice that they are shoulder length which means my hair is slightly longer than shoulder length.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
SL is when the hair is sitting on your shoulders. Collarbone length is longer because in orderto show that length, you have to pull your hair over your shoulder.

IMO there are two measurements to take. Shoulder and Full Shoulder. I reached Shoulder in July 2006. To me that means some of my stand hit the top of my shoulders. I reached full shoulder in November that means the lengh of my hair was a little past my shoulders and growing toward APL.

Ladyhenri

B_Phlyy said:
SL is when the hair is sitting on your shoulders. Collarbone length is longer because in orderto show that length, you have to pull your hair over your shoulder.

I totally agree with this.

bablou00

I was always confused on that as well. I guess I claimed shoulder length when I was neck length. According to the white chart shoulder length is right at the collarbone and my hair just recently hit there. I have a long way to go to get to APL.

tricie

SL is when the hair is sitting on your shoulders. Collarbone length is longer because in order to show that length, you have to pull your hair over your shoulder.

That is a great point, Bflyy! And to JCoily, thanks for the chart; that is very helpful!

Ladies, thanks for your responses! Based on the responses, it looks my hair in the back is "shoulder", but I won't consider it "full shoulder" until it is all there; I have some much shorter pieces scattered about that are getting there.

Summer_Rain

aye de mi! this is all confusing! I won't start tryna figure out my length until I get to BSL, anything before that is just gets my head spinning with all these charts and measurements!

tricie

Originally posted by summerain
aye de mi! this is all confusing! I won't start tryna figure out my length until I get to BSL, anything before that is just gets my head spinning with all these charts and measurements!

:lachen: I feel ya on that one, but it's so hard to try and not measure your hair when your up in here on this forum! :D