What About A Shoulder-Length Challenge?

options

What About A Shoulder-Length Support Group

It seems like most folks around here are striving to be at bra-strap or waist-length, which is where I ultimately might like to be, but I would be really happy to have shoulder-length hair. Not hair that just stops at my collar bone, but hair that is actually shoulder-length.

Who else here is in this boat? I have never had even shoulder-length hair in my life, so aiming for bra-strap or waist seems like a mjaor stretch right now. With the hair techniques I have learned over the years, I am retaining more length and the rewards are starting to show. My goal for the year is shoulder-length, healthy hair.

Anyone else here?

ETA ... I have changed this from challenge to support group. I think it's more fitting.

Last edited:

bajanplums1

Sounds wonderful. I just had a final cut to get rid of uneven, overprocessed, weak hair. How would the challenge work?

chellee

Count me in. I would also like to have shoulder-length hair without having to bend my neck backwards. Any suggestions for protective styles to get us there?

bocagirl

Yes I would like to join. I'm also in the brastrap by 2006 but I'm not sure if I'll get there now because in December I had my hair cut to earlength.

carameldiva

count me in too- i had past shoulder length hair as a permie and i believe wholeheartedly that i can achieve it as a natural. I am curently at back of the neck length. We can all do this together.

prettygrl

I want to join!

I had shoulder length hair b4, but it broke off... I would love to get my hair to that length again...knowing what I know now

RabiaElaine

chellee said:
Count me in. I would also like to have shoulder-length hair without having to bend my neck backwards. Any suggestions for protective styles to get us there?

You are hilarious Chellee:lachen: , but I know exactly what you mean. I'm in. I have chin length hair right now. I hope to have it at true shoulder length half way through this year. Pray for me :).

options

Thank goodness I am not the only one!

I'm not sure how the challenge would work. If we all have our own methods that are working for us, that's fine. I just want to have a support group for those of us aiming for shoulder-length hair.

For me, what works is protective styling and minimal use of heat. I do texturizer touch-ups every 8-12 weeks.

luvSLave

Count me in, I need support!!:D

Seriously though, I have layers and the longest is at shoulder, but I keep trimming it so that the rest can catch up. My goal is to have the front reach my shoulder as well.

bajanplums1

options said:
Thank goodness I am not the only one!

I'm not sure how the challenge would work. If we all have our own methods that are working for us, that's fine. I just want to have a support group for those of us aiming for shoulder-length hair.

For me, what works is protective styling and minimal use of heat. I do texturizer touch-ups every 8-12 weeks.

Sounds good. I am happy with my regimen and products. I went the pure moisture route for a while and then realized that I need strength and moisture or my hair gets weak. So I have incorporated botanoil as my poo and went back to drc treatments every 4 weeks. I moisturize daily and I am consistent with my vitamin regimen:

* multi
* b complex 100
* msm
* choline & inositol 500mg
* lecithin 1000mg
* l-cysteine 500mg
* silica
* gingko (increases blood circulation to the brain)
* iron
* twinlab liquid amino acid complex

kizzylonghair

I AM IN

I do want bra-strap length, but I happy to take it step by step. I should get there. My hair is at the base of my neck. I am currently getting 1 inch per month new-growth. But I will have to wait until relaxer time to see how much I actually retain.

Kizzy

cece22

Count me in my I would like all my hair to touch my shoulders.

1. I use Motions CPR line, salerm, ntm and oils
2. Multi-vitamin and Amino 1500
3. Minimum heat with blow dryer and curling iron
4. Rollers sets
5. Will be in and out of braids from time to time

I'd like to get in on this challenge too, ladies. My former stylist chopped on my hair in August and October taking me from shoulder length back up to chin length :mad:. Since then I've been able to grow my hair to just above shoulder length. The right side is longer than the left and does barely touch my shoulders. My goal is for all of my hair to evenly rest on my shoulders (after a trim) by May.

This may call for another challenge, but the very back section of my hair is shorter than the rest of my hair due to too much heat and then relaxer overlapping by my former stylist as it tried to grow back. Anyone else having issues with this section? I would like for all of the hair in that section to be beyond my nape by July. There is one little section right where I used to wear my bun that is much short than the rest.

Last edited:

PaperDoll

~the original~
I'm in, I was almost at shoulder length until this past Friday.

I had what you would call an "aggressive" trim, oh hell let's keep it real, it was a "cut" :crying3: :crying3:

Approximately 2 inches of hair were cut off. I know I needed it for evenness but it's a setback I was not looking forward to.

My hair hadn't ever been that long and I was very attached to my "length".

In the interest of "health" though, I'm going to suck it up and work on getting back to shoulder length and then making it to bra-strap.

Good luck ladies :)

senimoni

WoooHooo I'm excited. Why did no one think of this before. The back of my hair is/might be shoulder length but it is broken underneath and throughout. Also I have never been able to get my sides esp near the front to be shoulder length so my goal is a full head of healthy shoulder length hair. I'm new here so I haven't quite worked out my regime. I'm still finding my protective styles, the only one I have now is a crazy pony tail where the front keeps falling out, sometimes I french braid into a ponytail, but until I get a phony pony (REALISTIC) or a bun its not really going to look right.

Peachtree

I'm soooo in on this challenge (( oops, I mean support group, lol ))

My crown & sides are currently about 3" from shoulder length (( curly )). I don't want it to "brush" my shoulders, I want it to "rest" on my shoulders :)

Once I achieve that goal, then it's off to goal #2 ((bs curly :bouncy:))

My regimen is pretty simple...
Daily: moisturize, oil, protective styles, vits
Wkly: poo, cond rinse, scalp massages

KBA

Hey, ladies count me into this support group as well. I want slightly below shoulders, but firmly resting on my shoulders. IF ya know what I mean (smile). RIght now, I have been getting regular trims to even up layers. I hope to have some pics soon.

My current regiman consists of roller wrap sets, and I flat iron towards 6 weeks. I get relaxer every 6-8 wks.

THinking about trying a set of corn row braids for a break.

bluwatersoul

I'm in! I too want it to rest on my shoulders all around, not just touch. My hair is uneven, and needs to thicken up. Some is at shoulder length, alot is shorter. But all around, resting on my shoulders? I would be SO HAPPY!!!!

I am a newbie, but ironically had done alot of techniques suggested on this board already this summer - was wearing a protective style, conditioner washing every few days, covering at night with silk - BUT I overlapped perms, and probably permed every 4-6 weeks. I am currently waiting like a junkie for week 8(next week) but am hoping I can actually stretch 1 or 2 weeks more. Its difficult. I am in the grow out challenge, and my goal is a thicker, all around shoulder length.

I wash about twice a week, with CON or MNT, or Aveda Sap Moss. I condition with MNT , Sap Moss or Nexxus Humectress. (I also use Humectress and MNT as leave ins, as well as Infusium). I deep condition 1x week with EVOO or Hair Mayo. I moisturize with S-curl, Wild Growth when I can stand the odor, and Elasta QP Mango Butter. I often finish with Aveda Brilliance pomade(I love the smell). Oh, and I have started surging like a week ago.

I take GNC Ultranourishair, flaxseed oil, and folic acid. I was using a regular multivitamin and B-50 supplements, but the B made my urine smell like chemicals (and I do at leasst 8 glasses per day). Oh well. Peopl eseem to do well with MSM and silica, I will try those soon.

thats about it - it is alternately frustrating and inspiring looking at everyone's albums. I am trying to stay determined!

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
bajanplums1 said:
Sounds wonderful. I just had a final cut to get rid of uneven, overprocessed, weak hair...

Me too. I had to cut approximately 1 1/2-2 inches in certain areas Saturday. I was a little upset because of the set back and thinness, so I really appreciate this support group. Thanks.

blkbeauty

It's funny when I planned my hair goals. I sketch out a 3 year plan just to get shoulder length and with the rate I am going it is going to take me five.

But you can count me in.

options

I am wondering how long it will actually take for all of my hair to touch my shoulders. I started out from a baldie (literally) when I was pregnant and have been growing my hair out since, so that's about 16 months of growth I have on my head currently. In the front, my hair reaches the top of my lip. On the sides, it reaches almost the base of my neck. In the back, it reaches the upper vertebrae on my back, slightly past the base of my neck when stretched. From this, it seems like my hair would grow out in layers ... but that's okay to me right now.

caramelty

Count me in ladies.....I am trying to achieve full shoulder length hair my back is just about there but my front that is a whole different story....I am so glad that there are more ladies that are trying to get shoulder length like myself grow on ladies......I am trying to be strong and hold on to these braids....but they are starting to hurt my head when I have them up in a ponytail for a couple of hours they start to hurt and I have to take them down and no the ponytail isn't tight at all........anyone know what this could be.

PoeticJustice

YAY!!! Count me in, too. The back touches the collar bone but my sides are below my chin, my bangs come to my nose (parted in the middle).
For protective styles, I keep my hair in the baggie to retain my ends, keep my hair moisturized and up. I'll be alternating between my Especially Yours wig, my phony pony I ordered last week and I'll probably get individuals when it gets warmer since your hair grows faster in warm weather....

Sorry for babbling, I'm excited to be a part of the support group! :p

options

Justicewifey said:
YAY!!! Count me in, too. The back touches the collar bone but my sides are below my chin, my bangs come to my nose (parted in the middle).
For protective styles, I keep my hair in the baggie to retain my ends, keep my hair moisturized and up. I'll be alternating between my Especially Yours wig, my phony pony I ordered last week and I'll probably get individuals when it gets warmer since your hair grows faster in warm weather....

Sorry for babbling, I'm excited to be a part of the support group! :p

Wow ...our lengths sound exactly the same for the most part.

options

I'm not sure if this support group needs a ringleader, but I will be happy to try to provide some direction to keep us reporting on our progress on a consistent basis.

How does everyone feel about checking in on the 15th of each month, beginning March 15, with our growth progress? In the interim, we can share where we are length-wise and share strategies and techniques and anything else anyone wants to add.

NYRICAN

i am in!!!! my hair is at the bottom of my ear lobe and at the bottom of my neck in the back.I only need a 2 and 1/2 inches to 3 inches to get there in the front and only 1 inch in the back.

lets do this girls

naptrl

Dr. Naptrl :)
I'm in!! I started the Bra-Strap by 2006 Thread, but I got to get to shoulder length first!! I hope to be at shoulder length by the end of 2005 and Bra-strap by the end of 2006!!