OK, NOW I'M BEGGING....I NEED A MENTOR!

napbella

Someone please suggest a regimen for shoulder length, natural 4a/4b, thick, coarse, doesn't seem to be retaining length hair. It has little knots along the hair shaft. I moisturize like crazy but where the heck is my length? My pics (if you want to risk it) are in fotki.com/Napbella. I will be uploading more pic tonite. Ladies, I know someone out there can guide me thru this jungle! :(

C

chica_canella

napbella said:
Someone please suggest a regimen for shoulder length, natural 4a/4b, thick, coarse, doesn't seem to be retaining length hair. It has little knots along the hair shaft. I moisturize like crazy but where the heck is my length? My pics (if you want to risk it) are in fotki.com/Napbella. I will be uploading more pic tonite. Ladies, I know someone out there can guide me thru this jungle! :(

That's how my hair is along the perimeters and I find myself untangling it with my fingers. So, youuuuu are not aloonnne.

KiniKakes

napbella said:

Maybe you should find the thread titled Find Your Hair Twin (by doing a search) and find someone whose hair seems similar to yours. Then you can go from there.... take a look at their Fokti to see their regimen, etc, and then PM them on the side and ask if they'll be your Hair Buddy/Mentor. Im sure someone would be happy to help you. :)

Good luck.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
What exactly are you doing to your hair? Products? Tools? Techniques?How often do you wash? Are you using heat?

The strand knots are normal occurance that can be reduced with protective styles. I know if I were to use heat on my hair, those knots will turn into splits.

MzOptimistic

KiniKakes said:
Maybe you should find the thread titled Find Your Hair Twin (by doing a search) and find someone whose hair seems similar to yours. Then you can go from there.... take a look at their Fokti to see their regimen, etc, and then PM them on the side and ask if they'll be your Hair Buddy/Mentor. Im sure someone would be happy to help you. :)

Good luck.
*off topic* I love your hair Kini...can't wait til the next pics....

MizaniMami

This was me all over again. A 4b with shoulder length hair. I combined Sistaslick's and CandyC's regimen!

Works perfectly! I jocked it all the way down to the vitamins.

napbella

Chica:

It's very frustrating, I thought I was doing all the right things, but it's obvious I have to step up my game somewhere....

Kinikakes:

I did that and found a couple of folks who cud be my twin but not really, either their hair was thin (mine is thick) or tightly coiled, (mine is rather loose), you know, things like that. I've been checking out regimens but it slow going.

Ms Mizani:
When I find my twin you know I will be trying to sample that regimen right down to the distilled water! Thanks and keep the suggestions coming ladies!

MizaniMami

napbella said:
Chica:

It's very frustrating, I thought I was doing all the right things, but it's obvious I have to step up my game somewhere....

Kinikakes:

I did that and found a couple of folks who cud be my twin but not really, either their hair was thin (mine is thick) or tightly coiled, (mine is rather loose), you know, things like that. I've been checking out regimens but it slow going.

Ms Mizani:
When I find my twin you know I will be trying to sample that regimen right down to the distilled water! Thanks and keep the suggestions coming ladies!

Well, I wouldn't go exclusively on that alone. CandyC's hair is like a 3b and Sista's hair is thicker than mines and her's is only a 4a or 3c something like that.

They were among the first two that I saw and thankfully it worked for me. I knew what my hair needed and what it likes and went from there.

Find out what you hair needs/goals are and go from there.

KiniKakes

MizaniMami said:
I knew what my hair needed and what it likes and went from there....Find out what you hair needs/goals are and go from there.

Thats the best advice right there. :)

napbella

What exactly are you doing to your hair? Products? Tools? Techniques?How often do you wash? Are you using heat?

The strand knots are normal occurance that can be reduced with protective styles. I know if I were to use heat on my hair, those knots will turn into splits.

I condish 3-4 times weekly, no heat except to measure 2-3 times yrly. I usually wear it in twists or a puff. I try to be extra gentle with it, especially when its dry. I just measured it tonite and in the back it's only 7.5 ins. That's not bad, but I strongly suspect I'm not retaining my length as well as I shud be. My next step is to use better prods, maybe Design Essentials or Keracare. Any suggestions?

caribeandiva

Human being
wow.. you've made a lot of progress!! maybe the reasons your not seeing progress is because your hair is curly and there's tons of shrinkage.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
napbella said:
I condish 3-4 times weekly, no heat except to measure 2-3 times yrly. I usually wear it in twists or a puff. I try to be extra gentle with it, especially when its dry. I just measured it tonite and in the back it's only 7.5 ins. That's not bad, but I strongly suspect I'm not retaining my length as well as I shud be. My next step is to use better prods, maybe Design Essentials or Keracare. Any suggestions?
You can measure without heat by holding a ruler on the scalp and stretching a small section of hair--this is what I do to the top, back, and sides because they grow at different rates. The only time a comb touches my hair is during the conditioning of my hair. How do you take your twists down? I have seen folks pull them apart from the middle, destroying their ends in the process.

What are the names of the products you are using? That way we can recommend a different brand or see if you are using products with silicones. Silicones and other ingredients can cause build-up, leading to breakage, and needs to be removed with a shampoo (Nexxus Aloe Rid is a clarifying, silicone-free one). Even if you switch products, the build-up could interfere with their effectiveness.

Have you done any deep conditioning? Have you try apple cider vinegar rinses? Does your hair like butters or oils? Are you against mixing natural stuff with cheap conditioners? Do you use color? Does your hair really like the frequent washing?

MizaniMami has a point--you have to know your hair's likes/dislikes. Start small with natural products, like coconut oil, shea butter, honey mixed with conditioner, samples from lines like Oyin, Qhemet, Blended Beauty, etc. You can check out the Hair Product Exchange on this site to get things you want to try.

chayil0427

napbella said:

I've been stealing tips from macherieamour...she's very kind about answering any questions you have and giving her advice. Like her I've been using Kera Care, but I also include ApHogee and the Mizani hairdressing and it's working really beautifully. I couldn't find any broken hairs last night when I did my deep condition. Send her a PM, I'm sure she'd be glad to help you.

Chayil