Nearly 2 years: NL to grazing BSL (pic heavy)

EbonyCPrincess

Hello Ladies!!!!

Just to share a little background on my journey for healthy, long hair, I began growing "officially" in April 2009. I am relaxed 4b.

DSC00259_edited-vi.jpg

I never had long hair as a child, but it was always THICK and full. But in May of 2009 I had a stylist damage my scalp pretty badly by improperly neutralizing a relaxer, and give me a "trim" which was a ratched haircut and I ended up with a horrid shaggy looking style with overprocessed hair.

My hair in May 2009 - sides are chin length, back is neck length:
HairCut5_19_09005-vi.jpg
HairCut5_19_09001-vi.jpg

I wore wigs for 7 months to allow my scalp to heal (had a special cream from the dermatologist and everything), my hair to recover and until I could go back home to my hairdresser there because I no longer trusted anyone to do my hair. It grew back to full shoulder length after I had it touched up and done. Sorry no picture, I do have a youtube video of my results for those interested. I learned that I did NOT want to transition at that time and that long stretches weren't good for me.

Hair in January 2010 - full shoulder length
Hair01102010007-vi.jpg

I began to do my touch ups myself in 2010 until I found a TRUSTED KNOWLEDGEABLE stylist in July 2010. We go to church together and I had plenty of talks with her before I allowed her near my head. From my personal experience having a professional apply chemicals is always better. I did an okay job of touching up but of course I ended up with some underprocessed areas and it never had that "salon" look of a relaxer!

I claimed APL between April and May of 2009. Picture is 1 year later May 2009.
BirthdayFlatiron2010015_edited-vi.jpg

Here is my hair now - 2 weeks shy of 2 years later and I'm grazing bra strap length. Sorry so many pics, I'm just so proud of it! Got weave checked a FEW times this week, I'm talking scalp scratching and everything! :lachen: No offense taken, I was ready to part and reveal for em! :lachen::lachen::lachen:
May2011004.jpg

100_3511.jpg

100_3517.jpg

May2011001.jpg

100_3532.jpg

100_3524.jpg

100_3523.jpg

My regimen has NOT changed the entire 2 years:

• Wash with SLS-free shampoo & Deep Condition with heat weekly
  • Moisturize and Seal daily
  • Co-wash as needed after workouts (not often in colder months)
  • Sporadically I applied my Bee Mine growth aid consistently, whenever I did I saw increased growth...but I didn't stick to it all the time.
  • I relax every 10-12 weeks with Mizani No-Lye Sensitive Scalp.
  • Trim approx. every 4-6 months. TRIM not cut! :yep:
My staple products are Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo, Bee Mine Deep Conditioner and ALL BEE MINE MOISTURIZERS (omg I love them!). I chose which moisturizer I'm going to use based on how I am wearing my hair. I also added Roux Porosity Control conditioner as a final rinse to close my cuticle and I do like the results it gives me. I have WAY more information and pictures on my YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/EbonyCPrincess) and my newly created blog (http://longing4length.blogspot.com).

I hope this serves as encouragement to someone!!! I'm hoping by the end of 2011 to be full BSL. My final goal is full MBL which I hope to achieve by the end of 2012.

I've documented a lot of my styles and such on my youtube page, but I pretty much wear my hair however I feel. No strict regimen on protective styling, but I do not use direct heat regularly. In the 2 years I've been on my healthy hair journey I believe I've used it 4 times total. I do rollersets, braidouts and caruso rollers on airdried hair when I want to wear my hair down. I do buns, half wigs, and updos regularly also. Lastly...I just came out of a sew in and my progress was amazing! I love weave! I won't post pictures of that but like I said its all documented via my youtube page and I plan to blog regularly as well now.

You should be Proud! You're hair looks beautiful. You've made good progress and your skin looks really good. Congrats!

I've been following your journey for a while. So inspiring. Your hair looks so nice and healthy!!!

:congrats: congrats! and good luck on reaching BSL by year end (although to be honest, I think you're already there)

I've been following your journey for a while. So inspiring. Your hair looks so nice and healthy!!!

:congrats: congrats! and good luck on reaching BSL by year end (although to be honest, I think you're already there)

Thank you dear! I just began following your blog and it is REALLY good! I love that bun in your siggy and I told you I will be re-creating it! :yep:

wow! congrats! i really like hearing about people who retain well while still styling their hair consistently.

Great job! Your hair looks healthy and thick. It's a blessing to find a stylist you can trust. Congratulations lady!

wow! congrats! i really like hearing about people who retain well while still styling their hair consistently.

Rocky91 - Thank you! Yes, I agree. I am always amazed at the progress people make when they commit to long term protective styling, but I love my hair and I like to change way too much!!! :yep:

You'll be at your goal in no time!

liteskinshowdy - thank you!!! I appreciate all of your wondeful comments on my channel as well, I always look forward to hearing from you.

Great job! Your hair looks healthy and thick. It's a blessing to find a stylist you can trust. Congratulations lady!

bebezazueta - Thank you ma'am! And....Ain't that the truth, a knowledgeable trusted stylist is worth his or her weight in gold!

Thank you for the cheer encouragement everyone, I greatly appreciate it! I just said it on my blog - but I'll repeat since it is so relevant. The women in the "hair" world are some of the nicest, most encouraging, supportive and resourceful women I've met all in one place ANYWHERE. :blowkiss:

Beautiful hair and nice progress.

OT: Where did you get your measuring Tee? I like that it has BSL, MB etc on it.

Beautiful hair and nice progress.

OT: Where did you get your measuring Tee? I like that it has BSL, MB etc on it.

Girl you are in luck! I was about to type "I can't remember the name of the site" but I did a search in my email for 'shirt' and my invoice came up! The site is: http://www.girlgetyourhairback.com/ and the owner was very nice, I received it very quickly and its not a "baby" tee, just regular t-shirt which I like for when I'm actually doing my hair.

Girl you are in luck! I was about to type "I can't remember the name of the site" but I did a search in my email for 'shirt' and my invoice came up! The site is: http://www.girlgetyourhairback.com/ and the owner was very nice, I received it very quickly and its not a "baby" tee, just regular t-shirt which I like for when I'm actually doing my hair.
Thank you so much. Thanks for taking the time for look. I like that its a regular Tee, I would use it for the same things too.

Great progress! You have healthy hair and when it was short it was still thick and healthy so yeah healthy hair grows. Thanks for sharing and happy hair growing to you!

Very nice progress. You can really see you put lots of care in your hair.

Back