Oldie but a Goodie

BeautifulFlower

What are some things you used to do to get your hair to your goals but don't do anymore? Why you stop?

What are some product you used to swear by that you stop using? Why?

I'll go first:
- Henna, Indigo (Hendigo for short) - Hair too thick so the cost to buy the indigo just isnt worth it anymore. I rather do a cellophane. I can just buy henna in the store but I have to order the Indigo. I hate waiting. :look:

-Deep Condition under heat - I just have too much to do to sit still for that long. I do it with no heat now.

-Co-wash - I just run water in my hair and add leave in after... *kanye shrug* :rolleyes:

-Creme of Nature Shampoo - they changed the formula :nono:

- Soft and Creamy Shea Butter - I need to place an order ASAP :yep:

- Coconut oil - I have no idea why I stopped...no bueno :lol:

- Castor oil - This stuff rocked. I am slippin :drunk:

- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner - Expensive but it smells amazing, leaves hair like butter and I think I should grab a bottle......:yep:

NaturalBeauty<3

NTM Deep Conditioner...
IDK what im doing...lol.
V05 Lavender as a cowash, with olive oil....my hair was so moisturized n soft.

I need to get it together.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
OP its funny you mentioned just rinsing and adding leave-in, in regards to co-washing. I SWEAR I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

Deep conditioning with heat, I dont do anymore. 30 minutes is my maximum

There are sites that carry the gallon size of the Kenra and I think you should also be able to get free shipping.

I no longer mix DC's that dont work into ones that do. I know eithier give, throw them away or I return them to the store. I think I am going to start eliminating adding the oils, except one (I still add Hempseed oil cuz its the bizness) to my DC's.

TeeWhyAre

i do just rinse vs. co-wash.
i used to baggy, stopped for a few months, i'm back on my baggying grind.
outside of cowashing almost daily and baggying my buns, i've never really had a structured regimen(t) :giggle: that I can look back and say, "i did this and it was great."

what i did learn from dlewis and i did a few times and should get back on is leaving my buns in for days on end until it's time to take em down, detangle, remoisturize and put it back up again.

Last edited:
I use to dc with heat for 20-30 minutes. I like the results better without heat for an hour. My hair's softer.

I no longer use Vo5 conditioners. Sorry, but Suave and HE are much thicker and create non-crunchiness.

BeautifulFlower

i do just rinse vs. co-wash.
i used to baggy, stopped for a few months, i'm back on my baggying grind.
outside of cowashing almost daily and baggying my buns, i've never really had a structured regimen(t) :giggle: that I can look back and say, "i did this and it was great."

what i did learn from dlewis and i did a few times and should get back on is leaving my buns in for days on end until it's time to take em down, detangle, remoisturize and put it back up again.

I kinda do this now but its mostly cuz im lazy with my hair now.

ThatJerseyGirl

excellent thread. PrettyfaceANB - Your siggy pics are pretty!!! U go girl!!

ok....meanwhile, i use to oil my scalp (Wild Growth Hair Oil). never gave me any problems. i miss my weave - it's cold here in DC -

that is all i have right now. sometimes i get tempted to relax...but I'll hang in there.

ryanshope

Deep Conditioning--I was SOO faithful when I was relaxed, now...not so much...

Hot Oil Treatments---again I was SOO faithful as a relaxed head...

Being natural has made me really lazy---cowash, twist, twist out--repeat.

I have alot of conditioner still from my relaxed days and I hot oil treatments used to be my STAPLES back in the day. Let me rededicate my self for a bit--get to APL this year.

maxineshaw

What are some things you used to do to get your hair to your goals but don't do anymore? Why you stop?

Stuff/things I no longer do/use:

Cowashing
cassia and pretty much any ayurvedic herb you can think of
No poo
Deep conditioning after I shampoo
Deep conditioning under the dryer
Using a hair dryer period
Heat cap
Denman brush
Afro pick
Rinsing my hair daily
Shea butter
Oyin Handmade and pretty much any natural brand you can think of (QB being the exception)
Too many BSS brands to name
Protein/Moisture Balance
Castor Oil or JBCO
Proline oil sheen

I'm pretty sure there are a whole lot of things that can be added to the list, but I'm too tired to name them.

The reason why I quit a lot of these things is because I found a lot of them to be unnecessary (ayurvedic herbs, protein/moisture balance, pretty much any product listed). As my hair grew longer I found out that I'm allergic to shea butter, so that knocks out a ton of products. Also, a lot of those natural products cost too much money and don't do enough (or you don't get enough). The denman brush takes too much volume out of my hair, and I prefer using a widetooth comb anyway.

alive

i used to DC unfailingly every week to the extent that my friends would have to come over to my place if they wanted to hang out during my "hair time" :lol: thankfully, i'm past that phase and i'll postpone doing my hair to spend time with friends in a hearbeat. :yep:

Carisa

I used wild growth oil and lenzi's request for a lil minute but i wasnt consistent and i figured i could save money by mixing up my own oils at home, besides im too lazy to be using to many different products

Last edited:

alive

I'll go first:
- Henna, Indigo (Hendigo for short) - Hair too thick so the cost to buy the indigo just isnt worth it anymore. I rather do a cellophane. I can just buy henna in the store but I have to order the Indigo. I hate waiting. :look:

-Deep Condition under heat - I just have too much to do to sit still for that long. I do it with no heat now.

-Co-wash - I just run water in my hair and add leave in after... *kanye shrug* :rolleyes:

-Creme of Nature Shampoo - they changed the formula :nono:

- Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner - Expensive but it smells amazing, leaves hair like butter and I think I should grab a bottle......:yep:

btw, OP your hair is beautiful! quit tempting me to go back to relaxers! lol

Irresistible

I used to condition my hair overnight with a few different conditioners-over a time span of few days

I stopped cause it was sooo time consuming, and I have conditioner in my hair anyway 24/7

but I do kind of miss it. It was a long time hair ritual. I felt something would go wrong when I stopped, but thankfully not

BeautifulFlower

excellent thread. PrettyfaceANB - Your siggy pics are pretty!!! U go girl!!

ok....meanwhile, i use to oil my scalp (Wild Growth Hair Oil). never gave me any problems. i miss my weave - it's cold here in DC -

that is all i have right now. sometimes i get tempted to relax...but I'll hang in there.

Aww Thanks. Its been a long time coming. :grin:

And you aint never lied about this weather. This cold makes me angry. LOL

btw, OP your hair is beautiful! quit tempting me to go back to relaxers! lol

Thanks...:)
I was proud of that night. I used a curling iron for the first time in over 3 years. :spinning:

Relaxers are cool. Being natural is cool too. :yep:

Eisani

I'll go first:

-Creme of Nature Shampoo - they changed the formula :nono: I have this stockpiled and still don't use it :look:

The bolded were oldies but goodies for me too. I rarely dc anymore and I can't even tell you the last time I bought EVCO. Both were great for my hair and idk...I just kind of got over the whole hair thing and lost interest in time consuming processes. Having this length of hair and no tex/relaxer gets on my nerves sometimes so I don't like to be bothered. Some other things :look: :

*Crushing B-vitamins and putting them in all of my conditioners along with peppermint EO. I was only reminded of this when I saw a thread that had been bumped. Idk if it worked or not, but I feel like it did help extend my growth phase and shortened the resting phase.
*Using a leave in conditioner and sealing. I just throw my hair in a bun and keep it moving. I admittedly had less breakage when I did this on a regular basis.
*Rollerset. I just can't, but I said I was going to get back to it.
*Prepoos just don't really happen anymore. I'm always trying to get done with my hair ASAP so a lot of steps I simply skip.
*Chelate. Don't know when I did this last either, but I can feel a difference in my hair/scalp when I don't.
I actually decided I was going to go back to a lot of the things I originally started doing just to see what made a difference and I *think* I want full WL.

Last edited:

nymane

Braid outs (quick, easy, and great style for retention...but I would have to redo it every 3 days)

HE LTR leave-in (still love it- used it for my braid outs, but now that I'm roller setting weekly I use lacio lacio)

AO HSR (I love this DC but it was too expensive for such a small bottle and then I found the mother of all DC's...Silicon Mix :lick:)

Last edited:

brucebettye

Deep conditioning twice a week. Since my hair is longer now I just leave it in a bun for 2 sometimes 3 weeks then wash, deep condition, detangle, then it is back into a bun. I love the simple hair life.

Vashti

Using ORS Olive Oil Hair Lotion. It worked great for my hair but I found a leave in that works just as well without being so greasy and it has better ingredients.

Urban

I don't:

DC with heat. I used to do it faithfully once or twice a week. Now I don't really know that the heat makes much difference ... after reading a few articles on the naturalhaven blog and other things.

Regular cassia treatments. I love cassia, but I just haven't had the time for it lately. I don't think I've done one in more than 6 months.

I'm sure there are other things I can't think of right now. I've really simplified my regimen and pretty much wash, condition and twist my hair once every two weeks. Moisturize and seal when necessary.

AlliCat

Good thread!

I used to swear by hot oil treatments in the very beginning. Now I barely ever do it. Too messy.

I used to love co-washing frequently in the beginning. and it really helped my hair gain moisture. but now that my hair is healthy I kinda feel like co-washing makes it over-moisturized.

I used to swear by Creme of Nature shampoo (green label, yellow top). But they changed the bottle and the formula...decided to add sulfates...WHY?! needless to say i don't use that anymore since it didnt smell that great anyway

DCing twice a week was beneficial...now I just dont have the time anymore...

I used to trim regularly...or at least more than once a year. Now I swear not to trim until I reach my short term goal at least! if I have splits I will S&D. "uneven ends" are no longer an excuse for me to cut

AlliCat

Oh and supplements and growth aids...I tried boitin, msm, prenatals, multivitamins, heck I even got the GNC hair vits but never even tried it because the pills were huge. I used MN cream for a bit. The only thing that ever worked was Surge Plus 14.