OMG- A Steam Cap that makes ANY rollers work like Carusos!

yodie

My steam cap arrived today, but it's sitting at the post office because I wasn't here when the mailman knocked on my door.

DANG!!

I'll have updates soon.

Dee-Licious

SerenityBreeze said:
I got it! I got it! ITS A WINNER!!! Its a WINNER!! I am updating with pics as we speak. Give me 20 min to post pics and review!!

Whooo HOO!!! I can't wait!!! I'm supposed to be going somewhere but I think I'll just sit my happy butt here and wait on your review!! :D

yodie

Wow!! Your hair looks great. I can't wait to pick up my cap tomorrow. Did you really only have the rollers in for three minutes?

Let us know.

I am so sorry guys for the delay - Can you beleive my camera corrupted the step by step photos!!

I took pics of the cap, my set, the heating in the microwave, taking out rollers, styling. I was so excited only to be let down with camera issues.

So, I took the pics of the final product. If you like I can take pics again of the size rollers and cap.

Ok, So I get the cap and it weighs about 2 and a half pounds. It feels like rice is in it. I decided to use flexi rods because I have always wanted a spiral set.

While sectioning the hair I put a dab of mango butter (my favorite on each strand) I set my hair with the rods starting with the ends and rolling toward the roots upwards in a spiral motion.

I also used end papers and started the spiral wrap with the end paper to ensure my ends had a nice curl.

I had about 20 rods in my hair (size 10) and they all fit comfortably under the cap. I can see how larger rollers may be a problem.

I heated the cap in the micorwave for two min as instructed. It got the bag nice and hot. I can see how heating longer than the reccomended time can make it unconfortably hot.

Surprisingly, I did not feel much steam and I did not experience any frizzing. I would best describe the heat like heating a hot water bottle. It was nice an warm. I would give this two thumbs up!! I mean I had a spiral set in 10 min flat.

My hair does not feel as moisturized as it does when I use caruso rollers, but it produces shiny bouncy curls.

Good Luck!

raeshan said:
Wow!! Your hair looks great. I can't wait to pick up my cap tomorrow. Did you really only have the rollers in for three minutes?

Let us know.

Thanks!! Three Minutes is all it took. I heated it up for two min as instructed and immediately put it over my head. I think you have to put it on quickly so the heat does not escape. My head felt warm for the entire three min. All around the cap is filled with rice. There is a velcro strap that fastens the bottom of the cap together to keep the heat in.

yodie

Okay.. so now I want to break in at the post office across the street and get my cap.

I don't know how to use the rods. Not sure what you mean by the spiral motion. Yep, I'm a newbie to the rods. Haven't done a set in ages!!

raeshan said:
I don't know how to use the rods. Not sure what you mean by the spiral motion.

This was my first time - I got them from Sallys. See pic below, I started with the ends where the white paper was then twisted upward.

yodie

I really appreciate you doing that for me. Guess I'll be stopping at Sally's tomorrow to pick up rods and paper ends. Then I'll try to post a photo.

blackhair

serenety-thanks so much for the review. How do youfinish the rods set. i mean to prevent the hair to unraveal from the rod. do you bend the two ends or just one end. Please post picture if possible.

blackhair said:
serenety-thanks so much for the review. How do youfinish the rods set. i mean to prevent the hair to unraveal from the rod. do you bend the two ends or just one end. Please post picture if possible.

I bent the ends. Try to begin as much of the spiral with the end papers so when you bend the end you are only bending the end paper vs making a bend in the hair. This will ensure perfect circles on the end. To keep it in place I bend it in the direction necessary to stop the hair from unraveling. So if it wants to unravel to the left I bend it to the left and the bend acts as a stopper - like a door stopper..I hope that makes sense. Here is a pic..

XXXtacy

Thank you so much for the review!!!! This will be on my purchase list.

I want to rock a curly afro this summer. :D

GlamourGirl

SerenityBreeze your hair looks absolutely gorgeous:D!!!!! Thanks so much for posting your pics and reviews. I will officially add this to my "to buy" list!

XXXtacy said:
Thank you so much for the review!!!! This will be on my purchase list.

Thanks and your more than welcome!

Thank You :yay: SYNTHIA :yay: for finding this amazing product. I woke up this morning after sleeping in a slumber cap and my curls were still intact. I had to separate them again because they group together.dry My ends dont feel dry at all. When I wash today and air dry, I will try it again with larger rollers.

JazzyDez

thanks serenity for the descriptive review! :D Ummm I need to place my order....... :look:

I wonder if I use it at 10 weeks post and pull the rollers taught will it straighten my roots.

Dee-Licious

Thanks for the review Serenity. I'm really thinking about buying one now... Do ya'll think a mist dome dryer would work the same?

MsDee4 said:
Thanks for the review Serenity. I'm really thinking about buying one now... Do ya'll think a mist dome dryer would work the same?

I dont think a mist dome dryer will be the same becasue because this cap does not release mist that dampens the hair, it relases steam that quickly sets the hair and evaporates. It does not leave your hair damp at all. I think the mist would leave your hair too damp for it to set in a small amount of time.

Qetesh

i want to get this now...

LHCF is turning me into a serious product junkie...

OP your hair looks NICE, i need to wait tho, slow down on my spending habits.

blackhair

SerenityBreeze said:
I bent the ends. Try to begin as much of the spiral with the end papers so when you bend the end you are only bending the end paper vs making a bend in the hair. This will ensure perfect circles on the end. To keep it in place I bend it in the direction necessary to stop the hair from unraveling. So if it wants to unravel to the left I bend it to the left and the bend acts as a stopper - like a door stopper..I hope that makes sense. Here is a pic..

You're the best. thank you so much for taking the time to post the pictures.

yodie

An update on my steam cap experience.

Granted I'm new to being texlaxed and this board, so maybe I don't know how to work all the tricks and tips like everyone else, but...

I didn't like the steam cap. It didn't fit over my clamp rollers and it didn't seem to curl my hair. Serenity Breeze had a great experience with it. Her experience gave me hope!! Her hair looks great, but mine didn't. Maybe flexirods would work better.

I don't know whether to return it for a full refund or send it back.

My hair is currently to the nape of my neck after it's been blown dry. This might have something to do with how my hair turned out.

I look forward to the day when I get better at doing my own hair.

kimbaparis

raeshan said:

Granted I'm new to being texlaxed and this board, so maybe I don't know how to work all the tricks and tips like everyone else, but...

I didn't like the steam cap. It didn't fit over my clamp rollers and it didn't seem to curl my hair. Serenity Breeze had a great experience with it. Her experience gave me hope!! Her hair looks great, but mine didn't. Maybe flexirods would work better.

My hair is currently to the nape of my neck after it's been blown dry. This might have something to do with how my hair turned out.

tells us more!! did you only try it once? do you think it would work better if your hair wasn't texlaxed or if you used twisty rollers? do you have skillz with rollers--do you get nice smooth hair with other product? i am thinking about having this shipped to me in france and i would have to buy a microwave. but if i can set my hair in 20 minutes in curls like serenitys i would do it. need more info please!!!!!

Radianthealth

raeshan said:

This was my experience. I have texlaxed hair so it is prone to being frizzy. I tried just using flexirods overnight and my hair came out lovely. For now at my length and with my texture I am not sure that this cap is right for me. I will try again when I grow a few more inches.:)

yodie

I'm good with setting my hair. I used regular rollers and these didn't fit underneath the steam cap. They would've had I used very small ones, but I don't normally.

I didn't use the flexirods. I'm not a pro at that. Maybe I'll try this.

yodie

Another steam cap update...

Didn't want to return my steam cap right away, so I set my dry hair with flexirods and it came out great. I liked it and the steam cap is now a keeper!!