One reason why other races think

diamondlady

all Black women with long hair have a weave. Anyone see America's Next Top Model? Two of the contestants had a head full of mess. One of the contestants had a wig glued to her scalp while the other was weaved, relaxed, bleached and her hair was so damaged that they had to shave her head. After the head shaving, she was crying and saying "a woman has to have long hair to be pretty"

All the Black contestants had short hair or weaves and some of the weaves looked really natural. Once some people of other races see something like that on TV, they think every Black woman is like these contestants.

(Not to mention the jacked, really obvious weaves, with tracks exposed that you see in the supermarket, BSS, gym and other places)

I wasn't going to say anything about it but the weaves were such such a mess and they spoke extensively about it on the show.

I don't have anything against a well maintained weave, some are really beautiful.

Eiano

Here's another reason:

for some reason my channel is tuned to Take the Cake.
tocarra and Joe are asking the question "What do you find in a hairsalon?"
People were yelling out answers like "Blow dryer" "curling Iron" "chair" "mirror"

Tell me why the only answer to win so far was "Weave"

MariposaSexyGirl

Here's another reason:

for some reason my channel is tuned to Take the Cake.
tocarra and Joe are asking the question "What do you find in a hairsalon?"
People were yelling out answers like "Blow dryer" "curling Iron" "chair" "mirror"

Tell me why the only answer to win so far was "Weave"

im watching it too

lboogie2679

I almost cried for the girl that had her head shaved.That is a traumatic experience. It brought back memories of an incident that I had a few years ago with braids. When I took my shoulder length hair out of the braids I had real dreadlocks. I kept them for a few weeks because I was so scared to be bald. I ended up cutting my hair to the same length as the girl on ANTM. It was so liberating! I slapped a Duke in it a kept it moving! IMO I thought that she looked so beautiful with her natural hair and softer makeup. She went for an around the way girl to chic and polished. Now that's what I call a makeover.

wheezy807

Unforunately, most African american women don't know how to properly take care of their hair (grow it long/retain length), so they look to weave as a alternative.:ohwell:

lboogie2679

You are so right Wheezy. My daughter is 7 and we were having a conversation about grease last weekend. I was telling her about the difference in grease and moisturizer, and she said if grease is not good than why did you used to put it in my hair.:look: I was telling her because I thought it was good and that's what my mom put in my hair. That's when the light came on. Somebody has to teach you these things!!!

AvaSpeaks

Two reasons:

Most of the Black women they always see has short hair

And so many of us get a weave to have longer hair

Perfect example, I was watching Smallville tonight and Eva Marcelle guest starred. In this episode, they put major extensions in her hair and she had more hair than Tyra! I mean, why couldn't they just had her guest star with her short hairdo?

And not to mention that, come on, let's be honest, the majority of Black American women do not have SL hair and below from the time they were kids to pretty much their adulthood. If we did, then this board wouldn't had been created. People are not stupid and they have been around enough Black American women to know that most of us do not have long hair. It's just the truth. :nono:

So if they see us with long hair, they assume it's a weave. I mean the ladies on this board are the exception in the Black American hair community, not the rule.

Last edited:

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Unforunately, most African american women don't know how to properly take care of their hair (grow it long/retain length), so they look to weave as a alternative.:ohwell:

Very true. That's how it was for me. I am really, really glad I found this forum.

PinkSkates

Originallyposted by AvaSpeaks
And not to mention that, come on, let's be honest, the majority of Black American women do not have SL hair and below from the time they were kids to pretty much their adulthood. If we did, then this board wouldn't had been created. People are not stupid and they have been around enough Black American women to know that most of us do not have long hair. It's just the truth. :nono:

So if they see us with long hair, they assume it's a weave. I mean the ladies on this board are the exception in the Black American hair community, not the rule.

Unfortunately this is soooooooooooo true and very sad!:sad:

AvaSpeaks

Unfortunately this is soooooooooooo true and very sad!:sad:

Yeah it's true. I mean I know sometimes we don't want to admit that but it's true. I'm 30 years old and my hair has never been past the bottom of my neck. But now after coming to this board, my hair is growing better and longer.

But if I went to my sorority's chapter meeting in November with SL hair, alot of those women may think it's a weave, because they have always seen me with shorter hair.

Now at my job however, I wear my hair up, so if in January if I finally got to CL or SL, :evilbanana:, they may not assume it's weave simply because they have never seen the true length of my hair. And these are white people I work with.

Last edited:

spiceykitten

Two reasons:

Perfect example, I was watching Smallville tonight and Eva Marcelle guest starred. In this episode, they put major extensions in her hair and she had more hair than Tyra! I mean, why couldn't they just had her guest star with her short hairdo?

excellent post!

AvaSpeaks

excellent post!

Thanks! But it's true. I see it all the time here in Chicago. Little Asian and Hispanic girls got hair down their backs by the time they are 4 or 5. But the majority of our Black American girls don't. Now, if your non-Black and see this all the time, and then all of a sudden, see us with super-long hair, guess what, your gonna assume it's weave too.

All stereotypes are based on some truth.

And what do we do, instead of really trying to take care of our hair, we get impatient and get a weave or even braids, but the braids are long.

Again, all stereotypes are based on some truth.

spiceykitten

Your welcome and it is the truth. I know this for a fact. Keep writing the truth.:yep: There are some who will get upset because they are in that mindset "our hair":rolleyes: and cannot accept that not everyone hair is a like.:rolleyes:

Again, excellent post.

diamondlady

Two reasons:

I agree, most of the BLACK WOMEN you see either have short hair or weaves, but not every Black woman so it kinda bothers me when other races always assume or ask.

I can't say "honestly" that most of us had short hair from the time we were kids. I'm from a small town (probably older than most of the board members) and most of the Black girls (elementary school) had shoulder length or longer. For instance, I hung out with four girls from the 5th grade 'til we were Freshmen and we kinda went our separate ways in high school. What I noticed is out of the five of us we all had shoulder length or longer. By the eighth grade three or us had shoulder length or longer. By the 2nd year of high school only one of us had shoulder length of longer.

We started taking care of our own hair and wearing it down in the 7th grade. Before then we only wore our hair down on special days and got it "warm combed" before church on Saturday night. It was Pony tails, (and not tight, no edge problems, I ways wore three) One in front, two in back and I had long ,thick hair and so did my friends. I thought the pressing, wearing down and twelve and thirteen year old hands was the problem.

The reason I said "one reason" is because, not long ago, (remember I'm probably older) if other races saw a Black woman with long, they assumed it was theirs, then people started showing up one day w/ 3" of hair the next day 20", jacked up weaves and shows on television like ANTM where they only see weaved & shorted haired Black women.

I'm not trying to argue, just stating what I observed.

CurliDiva

Two reasons:

IMO just the opposite is true - the majority of little black girls I see have beautiful heads of thick, longer than shoulder-length natural hair. The problems start when we get our first 'perm" to look mature. :nono: I hate to see a Mom with jacked up relaxed hair with daughthers with a head full of beautiful natural hair that you just know she will slap a perm in as soon as possible in the name of convenience! :wallbash:

AvaSpeaks

IMO just the opposite is true - the majority of little black girls I see have beautiful heads of thick, longer than shoulder-length natural hair. The problems start when we get our first 'perm" to look mature. :nono: I hate to see a Mom with jacked up relaxed hair with daughthers with a head full of beautiful natural hair that you just know she will slap a perm in as soon as possible in the name of convenience! :wallbash:

Maybe in your town, but most of the girls when I was growing up and even now, they have NL to CL hair.

Most Black girls do not have long hair. That's the truth. Yes, some do have maybe SL or even longer, but those numbers compare to the length that our non-Black counterparts' children have DO NOT compare. They don't compare at all.

Like I said, some girls might have some SL or longer hair as kids and even teens but the numbers are not big at all. Perm or not.

ClassicBeauty

i totally agree with you! I see it happen all the time.

MissMarie

***sigh***

yep, i observed the same thing with me and my friends - as we got older our hair got shorter and less healthy looking
the braids, cornrows, warm press, mama's doin' your hair phase always looked nice and most had a decent amount of hair when straightened,
but the whole preteen/teen i need a relaxer, a grown-up style and to do my own hair stage is when it starts to go down hill
(now that we're all older and wiser everyone's hair is generally getting longer or at least healthy again)

my mom was surprised once at the trouble I had getting my hair to shoulder length, but she said in her day you didn't use chemicals until you were basically an adult so girls walked around with heads full of strong, natural hair, they didn't use all those hot tools daily or slather on pink oil and such so they were able to actually keep their hair on their heads and just pressed it out for nice occasions

some girls may have had super duper tight 4c,d,e,f,g hair that didn't hang or look long, but it was tightly packed and healthy and could be pressed for length, not broken off, chewed up and mistreated

AvaSpeaks

yep, i observed the same thing with me and my friends - as we got older our hair got shorter and less healthy looking
the braids, cornrows, warm press, mama's doin' your hair phase always looked nice and most had a decent amount of hair when straightened,
but the whole preteen/teen i need a relaxer, a grown-up style and to do my own hair stage is when it starts to go down hill
(now that we're all older and wiser everyone's hair is generally getting longer or at least healthy again)

my mom was surprised once at the trouble I had getting my hair to shoulder length, but she said in her day you didn't use chemicals until you were basically an adult so girls walked around with heads full of strong, natural hair, they didn't use all those hot tools daily or slather on pink oil and such so they were able to actually keep their hair on their heads and just pressed it out for nice occasions

some girls may have had super duper tight 4c,d,e,f,g hair that didn't hang or look long, but it was tightly packed and healthy and could be pressed for length, not broken off, chewed up and mistreated

I agree with you. But why do we do that?

And here is another question, to tie back into the original question. Why instead of just taking care of our hair and trying to grow it out, why do we get the weave?

And why so long? That's the question that haunts me.

ClassicBeauty

And here is another question, to tie back into the original question. Why instead of just taking care of our hair and trying to grow it out, why do we get the weave?

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Girl you better be careful in here. You just might get stoned for those type of questions.

but I totally agree with you!

PinkSkates

Originally Posted by AvaSpeaks

That is an excellent question!

Mahalialee4

I agree, most of the BLACK WOMEN you see either have short hair or weaves, but not every Black woman so it kinda bothers me when other races always assume or ask.

I((((then people started showing up one day w/ 3" of hair the next day 20",)))

I knew a lady like that...mental problems and different personalities and she had specific hair lengths for each personality...sort of "what ever happened to BabyJane/Sanctified Sunday Sister/ and someone you would never want to meet evil.....shudder... and then there was the one where she wore her hair like the style in "Blossom's avatar"...just sticking up...that was her "going round the bend to Baby Jane style....ooowwwweeee....no we were not friends but that really sticks out in my mind how you knew what kind of interaction it was going to be just by seeing the hair....so when I see others do this...I am "out of there" as this exceeds my comfort level!

bonjour

Last edited:

Isis

We live in a time of quick fixes and instant gratification and nothing is wrong with that. It just means more choices are available now than ever before. :)

Some ladies want to experience what it's like to have long hair without the wait and weaves provide that in just a few hours. Others want to wear weaves as a protective style while growing out their hair.

As we have discussed in past threads, having long hair can provide a sense of power or security for some so getting braids or a weave that is ultra-long is preferred by some ladies.

shelli4018

I think we've moved beyond hair weaves as a convenience. We're raising a generations of girls who have no idea how to manage their hair whatsoever. They have less knowledge than their mothers and grandmothers!

That's why boards like this and the infopreneurs/entrepreneurs it spawns will change the direction of haircare in our communities. Personally I think the info here is as significant as the work of Madame CJ Walker and Annie Turnbo.

Last edited:

Kawaii1

Preach girls,Preach!

I always said that if I have a little girl I am not slapping perm in her head. When she gets older and learns to care for her hair and has the money to do so, then she can do as she pleases but I won't do it. Honestly if I get a divorce I am going natural cause your hair is still healthier that way. I just get the perm for the hubby.:hammer:

diamondlady

We live in a time of quick fixes and instant gratification and nothing is wrong with that. It just means more choices are available now than ever before. :)

Some ladies want to experience what it's like to have long hair without the wait and weaves provide that in just a few hours. Others want to wear weaves as a protective style while growing out their hair.

As we have discussed in past threads, having long hair can provide a sense of power or security for some so getting braids or a weave that is ultra-long is preferred by some ladies.

I totally agree and add, Some people just don't know HOW TO TAKE CARE OF THEIR HAIR". They have been fed myths and magical grease & potions for years. At one point many people had the greasy gerry curls because their hair got longer while wearing them. (I still know some people hanging on to them)

And some people are just too lazy to do anything with their hair. I have a friend who asked me how I took care of my hair. I started telling her that I wash every three days and condition for 20 minutes... she stopped me and said "Aw, that's too much" She is so lazy that when she get tired of her weave, she pulls it out without using anything to release the glue. A good potion of hair comes out with it.

diamondlady

I think we've moved beyond hair weaves as a convenience. We're raising a generations of girls who have no idea how to manage their hair whatsoever. They have less knowledge than their mothers and grandmothers!

That's why boards like this and the infopreneurs/entrepreneurs it spawns will change the direction of haircare in our communities. Personally I think the info here is as significant as the work of Madame CJ Walker and Annie Turnbo.

Great Point. Excellent

diamondlady

Maybe in your town, but most of the girls when I was growing up and even now, they have NL to CL hair.

Most Black girls do not have long hair. That's the truth. Yes, some do have maybe SL or even longer, but those numbers compare to the length that our non-Black counterparts' children have DO NOT compare. They don't compare at all.

Like I said, some girls might have some SL or longer hair as kids and even teens but the numbers are not big at all. Perm or not.

People can only speak from their observations and experiences. It been your observation and experience that most Black girls do not have long hair. That is your opinion, your truth. Other people living other places have different observations and experiences.

Nobody's arguing, just stating opinions drawned from their lives.