OPINIONS PLEASE

Tonya

DO U LADIES BELIEVE THAT SOME HAIR JUST RESPONDS BETTER WHEN IT IS NATURAL/PRESSED?
DO U THINK THAT RELAXERS ARE JUST NOT FOR ALL HAIR TYPES?
I AM ASKING EBCUASE I MA SERIOUSL;Y THINKING ABOUT GOING BACK NATURAL.THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BE GOING IS THE WEATEHR DOWN HERE IN MEMOHIS...IN THE SUMMERS IT IS JUST SO HUMID. HOWEVER MY HAIR IS NOT AS THICK AND DOES NTO GROW AS FAST WHEN IT IS RELAXED AS IT DOES WHEN I AM NATURAL.....I AM TRULY TORN I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I KNOW IF I GO NATURAL I AM GONNA MISS MY BRAID O0UTS NAD STUFF....
WHAT DO U LADIES THINK.
WHEN I AM NATURAL IT SEEMS I MA MROE ALONG A 4A/3C THAN THE 4A/4B I AM WHEN I AM RELAXED...
OPINONS PLEASE

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Tonya said:
DO U LADIES BELIEVE THAT SOME HAIR JUST RESPONDS BETTER WHEN IT IS NATURAL/PRESSED?
DO U THINK THAT RELAXERS ARE JUST NOT FOR ALL HAIR TYPES?
I AM ASKING EBCUASE I MA SERIOUSL;Y THINKING ABOUT GOING BACK NATURAL.THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BE GOING IS THE WEATEHR DOWN HERE IN MEMOHIS...IN THE SUMMERS IT IS JUST SO HUMID. HOWEVER MY HAIR IS NOT AS THICK AND DOES NTO GROW AS FAST WHEN IT IS RELAXED AS IT DOES WHEN I AM NATURAL.....I AM TRULY TORN I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. I KNOW IF I GO NATURAL I AM GONNA MISS MY BRAID O0UTS NAD STUFF....
WHAT DO U LADIES THINK.
WHEN I AM NATURAL IT SEEMS I MA MROE ALONG A 4A/3C THAN THE 4A/4B I AM WHEN I AM RELAXED...
OPINONS PLEASE

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. I don't understand why hair would grow faster if it was natural though. Is it breaking off when it's relaxed, so that it appears to be growing faster when it's natural? When I was natural, my hair grew at the same rate, although you wouldn't know it due to the shrinkage.

You can still do braid-outs when you're natural.

pebbles

Hi Tonya, /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I think that relaxed or natural, you have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with it. You must be prepared to take the necessary steps to ensure that your hair is healthy and thriving, regardless of what style you wear it in.

If you feel your hair is in better health, or grows much nicer when it's natural, and you're ready to deal with it in it's natural state, regardless of what other people say, then go for it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Only you can decide what's right for you because you'll be the one having to care for your hair. Fortunatly, this board is inclusive of all hair types, and not exclusive to one. Because of that, there is no lack of support for whatever you decide to do.

I wish you much success with whatever you choose to do. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Crysdon

What Pebbles says is true. Only YOU can determine if being natural is for you.

Whatever you choose, you'll be fine.

ms jadu

I think it sound silly to say this, but what is your style.
See I havent relaxed my hair in almost a year, so my hair is usually in a fro. I guess it sort of fits me because im one of this ppl who love the bohemian style. So my hair style goes great with the attire. I dont know if I made any sense, but this is something that helped me decide the same question.

VALLEYGIRL

Hey Tonya
As with anything I think everyone's hair responds differently to different things.
My hair grew the same when I had a relaxer as it does now when natural. But there are hundreds of cases where ladies will say that there hair is healthier and shows more length b/c its natural. So to answer your question I say no relaxers are not for everyone. Some ladies hair and scalp just can not withstand the chemicals.
It seems as if you are familiar with your hair and what it needs and also since you were natural before, the transition shouldn't be hard at all.

But just like Pebbles said you must be prepared to take the necessary steps to ensure that your hair is healthy and thriving, regardless of what style you wear it in.

Valleygirl

PS Oh also when I met with Stephanie Saunders (Hairobics lady) she said the same thing...some womens hair is not strong enough to relax and achieve length. Her suggestions for those women were to leave the relaxer on for a shorter period of time (texturize and get the bone straight look with a hot comb) or stop relaxing all together b/c your hair will continue to break and not show length if you continue to relax it if you have this type of hair.

LuvableLady

Really great advice here. I have not been natural long enough to tell if my hair grows faster while natural or not. I can tell you in the little month and a half that I’ve been completely natural, I have noticed considerable growth. My hair now reaches my earlobe and when I originally cut, it reached the top of my ear so it appears that mine may be growing a bit faster then usual.

Being without a relaxer has been fun for me so far but I do have ups and downs and they pass, it’s a matter of working through them. I have not been without a relaxer since I was a child so if I can do it, anyone can. This is the first time ever that I recall working with completely natural hair and to me it is not as difficult as some say.

sweetcocoa

I agree with everyone else. It is a personal decision. If you decide to try natural...and you don't like it, you can always relax(and it will be virgin hair)...plus you will have given your hair a rest. If you relax...then decide you want to try natural, then you'll have to start over and grow it out.

leejure

Tonya,

I can tell you that you are going to experience the same trials NATURAL that you are experiencing relaxed. My hair, at first responded horribly to being pressed. It wasn't until I CHANGED stylist and my hair became healthier that my presses began looking like up to par. It's all about the health. Now if the presses are breaking or damamging your hair, then you may want to consider doing something about that, be it going natural or changing your regimen!

Kiss Land for me! /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

-lee

Tonya

THANKS LADIES FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT...I AM GONNA HOLD OFF ON A TOUCH UP AND SPORT CORNROWS FOR AWHILE...I AM PRETTY SURE THAT GOING BACJ TO MY PRESS N CURL IS BETTER FOR ME BECUASE IT NEVER FAILS WHEN I HAVE A PERM I CAN ACHEIVE LENGTH BUT MY HAIR NEVER LOOKS AS THICK AND HEALTHY AS IT DOES IN TI'S NATURAL STATE.

deborah11

hey tonya,

if u think that going natural would be benificial to your hair than u should give it a try. u can always go back to getting it relaxed if it doesn't work out.

as for me i am currently 4.5 months into transitioning from relaxed to natural hair. i plan on growing 6-8 inches of natural hair before cutting off all of the relaxed hair. so far i have 2-2.5 inches of new growth. i am gradually cutting off the relaxed hair. the longest parts of my hair are 9.5 inches and the shorest 4 inches (the back of my hair is shorter than the sides and top.) My hair is very thick. i decided to transition becuse over the past year, i had lots of problems with the relaxer and my hair was damaged and overprocessed. it simply was not the head of hair that i was use to. right now, i am pleased with the thickest and growth of my natural hair and i really don't plan on returning to a relaxer right now. i have promised myself that i will transition for atleast 6-8months before even considering a relaxer again, that is if i decide that i don't like natural hair. this way i will give my hair a much needed break from chemicals. if thinggs however, continue to go well, i anticipate that i will not return to relaxers anythime soon. best of luck in making your decision.

nita4

deborah11, I'm really happy to see that you are hanging in there girl!!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/rofl.gif /images/graemlins/weird.gif

TwistNMx

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sweetcocoa said:
I agree with everyone else. It is a personal decision. If you decide to try natural...and you don't like it, you can always relax(and it will be virgin hair)...plus you will have given your hair a rest. If you relax...then decide you want to try natural, then you'll have to start over and grow it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I agree. However, my personal experience is that my hair responds better and grows when it's natural. I think some people handle perms/relaxers better than others. I myself (even though they say never say never) will NEVER use chemical treatments again. That's my opinion. Yes /images/graemlins/smile.gif