Oprah and Andre After the Show

I'm sorry I have to put some type of oil or cream on my scalp or else I will look like I have snow in my head. But I don't use products with petroleum or mineral oil on my scalp cause that clogs the pores

I didn't catch the After Show ,but if sure would be GREAT for her to have a show about Black hair care, and have Andre on as a guest. I would get tickets to that show, I love me some Oprah........
Maybe we should suggest it to her
scratchchin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't catch the After Show ,but if sure would be GREAT for her to have a show about Black hair care, and have Andre on as a guest. I would get tickets to that show, I love me some Oprah........
Maybe we should suggest it to her
scratchchin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Girl, if Oprah had a show on Black hair care, I would be sure NOT to miss it!
smile.gif

Maybe we could all send the Oprah Show e-mails until she agrees to do a show entirely on hair care. Perhaps some of us could go to Chicago to attend the taping!
think.gif
She does tape in Chicago right? Or is it New York?

Oh I looove Oprah's hair since Andre has been doing it! And I've read on more than one occasion, he says that type 4 hair (which is what Oprah has) shouldn't be relaxed too often or bone straight. He has said countless times that he relaxes her hair like every 6-8 weeks or something like that. He's always talking about how he doesn't get her's bone straight which gives her hair body.

Then again...I haven't heard him say it LATELY and...I do know someone who gets a press and curl who's hair is bouncy and full of body just like Oprah's. So...I don't know...

[ QUOTE ]
Good question. In his book (or maybe he mentioned it on her show...) Andre is against so called "heat protectants". He says all they do is help to fry the hair even faster.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have doubts about products made specifically for heat protection also. I find that when I use them, I'm able to use a higher heat setting without visible damage or that sometimes a lower setting won't straighten as well if my hair didn't have that layer of thermal protection. So what's their advantage?
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe we could all send the Oprah Show e-mails until she agrees to do a show entirely on hair care. Perhaps some of us could go to Chicago to attend the taping!
think.gif
She does tape in Chicago right? Or is it New York?

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG this sounds like an idea..
scratchchin.gif

It would be fantastic for her to do that but I think she'd slant it toward hair care for all colours, not just black hair care. I can't think of a time of late that she does a topic like that which is specific to black people only although she could justify wanting to do a show like that based on her own experiences growing up as well as friends/family and the number of myths she wants to 'blow away' Hmmmmm....

Hiladies,

please do not take my comments as negative, but I am really tired of people saying what we should and should not use on our hair...to grease or not to grease.....to heat or not to heat! It is no doubt that Andre is a "professional hair dresser" however as all of us on this board can agree that there is no one way to do black (women of color) hair! I know that keeping my scalp oiled (greased) works for me, I have tried not using anything and my hair dried out and broke off! So honestly even though I agree she has great hair there is no one way to do our hair! What works for one person may not work for another. Just my $25!
wink.gif

I didn't see anything negative in your post. I think we all agree that there is no one way that works for everyone and people should keep doing what works for them. What caught my eye the most about this show was how the women on the show were very entrenched in doing what they've always been told to do, even though their methods were not giving them the results they want. IMO, I think this breeds and reinforces the negative perception of our hair. From a young age, the majority of us are taught to look at our hair one way and to treat it one way.

They wanted to know how Oprah got so much movement and body from her hair. But when she told them, the doubt and disbelief on their faces were the same looks that a lot of us get when we talk about our own personal hair care methods.

That is why this board is such a breath of fresh air and people are so excited when they find it. People are allowed and even encouraged to think outside of the box when it comes to caring for our hair, without being judged by their hairtype. I just wanted all those women and the ones watching at home to know what we know: Our hair is not the problem, but how we treat it might be.

I just brought up the Oprah show because people tend to believe whatever comes out of her mouth. So if you ever have to explain why you wash your hair so much, just say because Oprah said so.

Okay, I'm done runnin' off at the mouth.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't see anything negative in your post. I think we all agree that there is no one way that works for everyone and people should keep doing what works for them. What caught my eye the most about this show was how the women on the show were very entrenched in doing what they've always been told to do, even though their methods were not giving them the results they want. IMO, I think this breeds and reinforces the negative perception of our hair. From a young age, the majority of us are taught to look at our hair one way and to treat it one way.

That is why this board is such a breath of fresh air and people are so excited when they find it. People are allowed and even encouraged to think outside of the box when it comes to caring for our hair, without being judged by their hairtype. I just wanted all those women and the ones watching at home to know what we know: Our hair is not the problem, but how we treat it might be.

I just brought up the Oprah show because people tend to believe whatever comes out of her mouth. So if you ever have to explain why you wash your hair so much, just say because Oprah said so.

You said it myco! I agree with everything that you said.
rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
She and Andre were telling black audience members about not putting oil/grease on their hair because it weighs it down and how grease just clogs the hair follicles making the hair weaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

does this also apply to <font color="red"> vegetable oils </font> like jojoba oil, avocado oil?? That's not my experience! I never use mineral oils. They should make a clear distinction between vegetable oils (both carrier oils like jojoba, avocado oil, almond oil and essential oils like rosemary oil and orange oil) and mineral oils... don't you think?
I agree with the washing + conditioning stuff and I indeed don't use much heat on my hair...Since I learned that from this board, my hair has become stronger, WITH the <font color="red"> vegetable oils </font> in my hair.

Jellynote, i agre with you, haven't seen your message when I put my comment on board.

The oils i use do <font color="red"> NOT</font> weigh my hair down..

Back