Oprah is Natural

Sly

She does, right before the show. It is crazy when you think about it, but she swears she's never experienced hair breakage in the 20 years that Andre Walker has been taking care of her hair. I read somewhere that she uses hair products from the brand Carita (http://www.carita.com/).

Now I really need to write into the O show. How is it that Andre knows the perfect temperature the hot comb needs to be in order to "safely" press every day!? And you know he's not at a gas burning stove doing her hair. . . so it has to be a hot comb stove and a particular technique to pressing he is using. My hair used to look like her hair when I would blow it out--it's intimidating.:look:

I need Mr. Walker to give up the goods. There's a technique to it all. . . I wanna know!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
It's so pretty. O's my new hair idol.:lachen: I wonder if it's really natural though.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
Now I really need to write into the O show. How is it that Andre knows the perfect temperature the hot comb needs to be in order to "safely" press every day!? And you know he's not at a gas burning stove doing her hair. . . so it has to be a hot comb stove and a particular technique to pressing he is using. My hair used to look like her hair when I would blow it out--it's intimidating.:look:

I need Mr. Walker to give up the goods. There's a technique to it all. . . I wanna know!

I'll rewatch the 20 years anniversary dvd's and let you know more about it :yep:

PinkSkates

I'm sure he uses the fancy Salon Heat Tester. I use one and it takes all the guess work out of knowing when the hot comb is too hot. But I still would not press my hair everyday.

Kurlee

Its her hair!!! Why wouldnt it be?? The lady has a hair stylist and Im sure is using the best products on the market. Her looks very REAL and very HEALTHY. Not saying she doesnt wear weaves sometimes but how she's been wearing her hair lately is definitely all hers.:grin:
:yep::yep: Why are folks surprised? We have heads like Sylver2, bubblin, PinkSkates,etc. Why are we so quick to think its not real? We need to ERASE the "black women with long hair is an anomaly" idea from our brains.

MonaLisa

Complexed right now...

Sooo..members like Happily Me, PinkSkates, Sylver, etc....that can be their hair...

but...because it's Oprah...with somebody to tend to her hair...evry...day....that can't be her hair...it gotta be a weave? Not saying she don't dabble in half wigs or pieces...but take those out of the equation based on picture pre-pressed.

On...the...Long...Hair...Care....Forum... it...gotta..be...a...weave...

*alrightee then*

Sunshine_One

If you see some of the pics from when she was younger her natural hair was very thick and beyond shoulder length.

ITA...Oprah has ALWAYS had beautiful hair. If you google for pics of her from the 80's and 90's you will surely see it. I remember it being very thick and lush. She always kept it cut in great styles...well for the time period any way. ;)

HTH

Last edited:

Lava27

Man yall are TOO fast around here! I really wanted to be the one to break this news and I was so excited coming over here only to see this has been going strong all day! Anyway, I started a post on if it was her hair or not a few weeks ago (after her polygamist ranch show) : http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=352773&page=4

After a few posts I rethought things and decided it probably was her hair. I wanted to reply to sooo many of yall, but her hair has ALWAYS been super thick and healthy. Makes sense to me now that she was protective styling with the curly wiggy (which I was NOT a fan of) that her hair is now LONG and thick! And whoever said it wasn't long earlier....um I dunno...it's def long enough for me. I really think shes the perfect health b4 length role model. There are a good number of longer heads on the forum, but that swing, bounce, shine and health...you will not see on too many heads! For real! I'd take that length and that thickness ANYDAY over thinnish WL hair...but that's just me. Also, I also wonder if she's texlaxed or something. If you look around her hairline ( not to say she cant have different hairtypes) it looks a lot more 4bish than her big pre- straightening pic looks...anyway, I tivo Oprah everyday and I was half paying attention to today's show until the end when she said her hair is REALl!!! I screamed and got SO excited!! lol...don't know why...then I knew I had to run over to LHCF to share...but of course yall already were on it! :) :)

JollyGal

gorgeous hair just simply gorgeous. Yes successful black women can have long natural hair. Lady Obama and Oprah and I'm sure there are many others. This makes me smile so much

ricochet

:yep::yep: Why are folks surprised? We have heads like Sylver2, bubblin, PinkSkates,etc. Why are we so quick to think its not real? We need to ERASE the "black women with long hair is an anomaly" idea from our brains.

This is so true. Not to blow my own horn, but b4 I cut my hair, it looked just like Oprah's when blowed out and flat ironed...except mine was longer than Oprah's and it only took me 4 yrs(from a twa) to do it. I am growing it out again and all is well. Also, I have not been to a salon since 2001. :)

Miss*Tress

Is this the curly style many of you don't like? It looks pretty to me.

niva

I'm sure he uses the fancy Salon Heat Tester. I use one and it takes all the guess work out of knowing when the hot comb is too hot. But I still would not press my hair everyday.

Hi PinkSkates:

What is a fancy Salon Heat Tester and where can I buy one?

Oprah has always had a beautiful head of hair to me!!

MAMATO

Are you sure she is natural... My hair kinda looks like this when I blowdry (big and thick) and I am texlaxed, . Anyways, I do beleive it is her hair and it is very nice....I love it:yep:

SelahOco

PS...what's your take on this. I'm thinking of he's washing, conditioning, blow drying, pressing and curling each morning this would be some SERIOUS manipulation issues. What do you think he's doing to protect it?

Like daily steam or what? I'm confused and you're our pressing guru :)

If she's been wearing half wigs, maybe she's only gonna wear her hair out like this for a minute.

@ Everyone who say the show...did he press or flat iron her hair?

DragonPearl

Her hair is gorgeous :love: I can't believe she presses every day. What is her regime?! Heat protectant? what?!

Just goes to show, if you've got strong/thick hair you can do things a thin/fine hair woman can't do. My fine hair would die if I pressed it everyday. My girlfriend is BSL and she flatirons everyday.

Kurlee

when did she say she pressed it everyday? From what i watched, she gets it "done" (curled up for tv) everyday, but re-pressed? I don't think so.......

PinkSkates

Hi PinkSkates:

What is a fancy Salon Heat Tester and where can I buy one?
Oprah has always had a beautiful head of hair to me!!
Here is a picture of my heat tester it's made by Golden Supreme. Their website is:www.goldensupreme.com

Gives reliable temperature range whether working on fine hair, processed hair or coarse hair.
10 lights to indicate heat range, low, med. high.
Permits the stylist to determine the exact temperature needed in styling any type of hair. from

PS...what's your take on this. I'm thinking of he's washing, conditioning, blow drying, pressing and curling each morning this would be some SERIOUS manipulation issues. What do you think he's doing to protect it?

Like daily steam or what? I'm confused and you're our pressing guru :)

If she's been wearing half wigs, maybe she's only gonna wear her hair out like this for a minute.

@ Everyone who say the show...did he press or flat iron her hair?

Andre would definitely have to keep her hair deeply moisturized and conditioned at all times in order for her hair to take that kind of heat daily. But Oprah does have very thick, coarse hair. If any hair type can take that kind of heat usage, its thick, coarse healthy hair.
I would love to know Andre's hair care regimen for Oprah!

ImFree27

Well, there you go! No denying that is her real hair. I wonder if it's completely natural though. It looks like an uneven texlax. But then lots of people have different textures on their head, so who knows.

Lovely, either way.:yep:

It's blown out with a blow dryer...it's not wet...I don't think she has a texturizer or texlax..

CocoBunny

I mean, I recognized that LS was throwing out an estimate, but my question had more to do with me thinking that most LHCFers didn't have long hair as children.

Really? Hmmmm That might be a good poll to start as 99.9% of the girls I knew growing up had healthy, at least shoulder length hair. Then came the hot, combs, relaxers and to tight braids and hair dyes and bleach...

ImFree27

Are you sure she is natural... My hair kinda looks like this when I blowdry (big and thick) and I am texlaxed, . Anyways, I do beleive it is her hair and it is very nice....I love it:yep:

yes she's natural she wouldn't press it if she was relax and a few years ago she said she stopped using relaxers because it broke her hair out...i think it was in the 90's or something it was da show about a 15 year old black girl who makes natural hair products...

coconow2007

I do believe her straight hair is natural because I do remember seeing old shows and her hair is super thick. However, I do not believe that curly look she sported was not without weave assistance.

Nonie

Oprah's hair has always been thick and healthy looking even long before she was Andre's client and just a teen (and I suspect she abused it as most of us did before we knew better):

Then I remember her nice long braids in Beloved:

MAMATO

yes she's natural she wouldn't press it if she was relax and a few years ago she said she stopped using relaxers because it broke her hair out...i think it was in the 90's or something it was da show about a 15 year old black girl who makes natural hair products...

I know relaxed people who press or flat iron their hair on a regular basis, with no problem. When you have very thick and coarse hair (like I do), sometimes relaxers are not enough to have the straight look. I am texlaxed because whatever I do my hair always comes out curly after a relaxer, not because I want to. But anyways, I like the result so I am not complaining. Pre-LHCF, I used to blowdry my hair on High every single morning, with no side effects and my hair was still healthy, Dear Lord forgive me:lachen: I was just asking because people started to assume Michelle Obama was natural until they find out she was not:blush: But if Oprah said she's natural (although it was years ago) I certainly beleive her.

inthepink

I'm not surprised that it's all Oprah's hair b/c it's always been so healthy, thick, and full.

I love it b/c to me it proves that women over 40 can have long hair and not look old. I think her long hair makes her look younger.

But pressed everyday? I would sure like to know how she does that? Or maybe she just didn't give all of the information.Maybe she only gets it straightened once a week. Who knows? Sometimes her roots look a little reverted so I'm going to start paying attention to her hair day by day. :)