Oprah On Jesus

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
www.watchman.org/oprah.htm

I wish more people would have seen this episode before idolizing Oprah. :nono:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Just goes to show that a lot the wealthy and influential people think they are above the biblical teachings.

If the world could save themselves with good intentions they would already be saved. Everyone has good intentions don't they?? Doesn't mean everyone is going to heaven.

Sweet C

Thanks for the link, Jujuboo. You know I was wondering the same thing when Oprah said something to this lady on her show the other day about God, and I was thinking "huhhh?"

DSD, you are so right. So often when people get established, their concept of Jesus changes to fit their lifestyle, not his Word.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
dontspeakdefeat said:
If the world could save themselves with good intentions they would already be saved. Everyone has good intentions don't they?? Doesn't mean everyone is going to heaven.

So SO So true. "Good intentions" are overated. :lol:

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Sweet C said:
Thanks for the link, Jujuboo. You know I was wondering the same thing when Oprah said something to this lady on her show the other day about God, and I was thinking "huhhh?"

Yeah, I've heard Oprah say quite a few off the wall things, but she's so charasmatic people forget what she said in about 4 seconds. Hope she wakes up a bit. I admire her generousity, but works don't do much. :-/

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
What does the New Age spirituality believe??? I don't wanna order her profile. What does her profile say???

I admire Oprah's generosity but I think it's sad how people idolize her.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Poohbear said:
What does the New Age spirituality believe??? I don't wanna order her profile. What does her profile say???

New Age is anything under the sun. I don't know how to explain it. It's really vague--kinda like "God is within yourself. Everyone has their own pathway to God" mentality.

MonaLisa

Okay, I watched the clip, I'm confused.

I heard Oprah reference a spiritual speakers book, Marianne Williamson and said what she said in the book.

I've never gotten the impression that Oprah was not a believer in Jesus or did not feel he is the spirit that strengthens her.

I believe, she as a talk show host, that not only addresses a forum in America...but Worldwide...was trying to convey to the woman in the audience...to try and look through the eyes of someone in ANOTHER country, not the U.S., who's primary religious beliefs do focus on God/Jesus Christ, who have never ever heard of Jesus Christ or know of his word...but if they lived their lives as Jesus would have wanted them to...wouldn't that allow them to get into heaven. That was the point I got.

Or do I need to re-watch the clip?

Sweet C

Poohbear said:

I think it sort of the concept that we are trying to get to the top of the mountain. Your way of getting there might be different than my way, but we are all reaching for the same thing at the top of the mountain which is God. So whether you went through Jesus, Mohammed, Hare Krishna, or Imhotep, you are going to reach the top in your own way.

Honeyhips

Lovely
I have to hand it to the lady in the white for calling her out. It appears Oprah believes what a lot of people believe that doing good will get you to heaven, and that there is more than one way to heaven and jesus is just another name or there are many names for him. I agree with the lady that Oprah is intellectualizing it and I think a lot of rich, and intelligent people do this. That is something else actually hearing it out of Oprah's mouth though. My Pastor said for years she was into the New Age stuff. On one of the boards I lurk on they had a thread on New Age, I'll go look it up and tell you all what they say it is. I personally don't know.

However, this episode looks old,and we don't know for sure if she still believes this way. I'm inclined to think that she does BUT then she has people like TD Jakes on her show. Just pray for her y'all. My pastor has been saying for years not to listen to Oprah. :look: I still like her, but I'm careful not to idolize her and I'm careful to ask well what does the Bible say when she gets all of her Pyschologist and people full of wisdom giving out their advice.

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
I like Oprah, but based on what she's said on her show throughout the years, I can't say she's a Christian. :ohwell: Having T.D. Jakes on the show doesn't convince me. She had him sit in the AUDIENCE, he wasn't even on the stage! :lachen: And she used to do that "Finding Your Spirit" feature on the show for a WHILE. Shoot, the only spirit she needs to find is JESUS!

In the clip, I don't think she was illustrating the other woman's point. She was defending her point of view. She's a good person, I think Oprah's an exceptional woman, but the pathway to God is NARROW. Everything she says SOOOUUNDS great, but it's not always the truth. Sorry Oprah.

Honeyhips

Lovely
That's true. I only mentioned TD b/c maybe she is beginning to change.
JuJuBoo said:
I like Oprah, but based on what she's said on her show throughout the years, I can't say she's a Christian. :ohwell: Having T.D. Jakes on the show doesn't convince me. She had him sit in the AUDIENCE, he wasn't even on the stage! :lachen: And she used to do that "Finding Your Spirit" feature on the show for a WHILE. Shoot, the only spirit she needs to find is JESUS!

In the clip, I don't think she was illustrating the other woman's point. She was defending her point of view. She's a good person, I think Oprah's an exceptional woman, but the pathway to God is NARROW. Everything she says SOOOUUNDS great, but it's not always the truth. Sorry Oprah.
I didn't say that. :confused: Oh wait, you aren't talking to me are you. :look:

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
Honeyhips said:
That's true. I only mentioned TD b/c maybe she is beginning to change. I didn't say that. :confused: Oh wait, you aren't talking to me are you. :look:

lol, no I wasn't talking to you Honey... I wasn't directing the post to anyone, I was only recalling when she did that series on her show. :lol:

JuJuBoo

Child of THE King!
I just watched it again. Man, that lady in white was DOIN it. Why can't all Christian's be that bold? I give her a whole lot of credit for standing up to one of the most influential and popular persons on the planet. She straight up told Oprah "that's because you intellectualize it..." Wow! That's some boldness! On national television I might add. :applause:

mzcaramelicious07

JuJuBoo said:

Girl I noticed the same thing. Now she has adulterers, molesters, "high class suburban undercover" crackheads and everyone else and their momma sit up in those soft cushiony couches, but had T.D. Jakes sittin' in the audience. I saw that and was like "Whhhhhhhaaaaaaaaattttttt!!!?!?! :perplexed

And girl I also second that the only spirit that she needs to find is Jesus. I do appreciate her for everything that she does, but like someone else said, works don't get u to heaven.

Honeyhips

Lovely
Yeah,I was so impressed. I was over here cheesin'. :D
JuJuBoo said:
I just watched it again. Man, that lady in white was DOIN it. Why can't all Christian's be that bold? I give her a whole lot of credit for standing up to one of the most influential and popular persons on the planet. She straight up told Oprah "that's because you intellectualize it..." Wow! That's some boldness! On national television I might add. :applause:

Ayeshia

so if she wasnt a Christian and she said thatshe wasn't (not going by her off the wall comments, just in general)...ya'll wouldnt watch her show?

senimoni

Ayeshia said:
so if she wasnt a Christian and she said thatshe wasn't (not going by her off the wall comments, just in general)...ya'll wouldnt watch her show?

Thats what I'm wondering...b/c you won't be able to watch to much then it would seem.

Kikootie

What year was this footage from. I remeber watching TBN and T.D. Jakes said that Oprah called him out of the blue asking about Jesus and getting saved. Then he said she made a statement about wanting the Holy Spirit too. I hope this phone call took place after this footage.

Vintagecoilylocks

I always pray for these folks with all their intellectual and new age religion. Hopefully, and maybe she has, they find out how empty their stuff is and no matter how much good works or money they donate they are empty. When Oprah and others truelly want the Holy spirit with out trying to manage things to suit themselves the Lord will place in their life the proper circumstances and person to show them the way. No matter who she invites on her show she is attempting to control the truth to suit her. When she lets go of her self and turns it over to Christ it will happen. The truth shall set her free. :) Hank Hanagraph doesn't have good things to say about T.D. JAkes so I don't know what having him in the audience really meant. Sounds Like trying to play both sides of the same coin. :ohwell:

dreamgurl

ladydee36330 said:
I stopped watching Oprah years ago.

Same here...and never really was addicted to it in the first place.

New Age Movement...

1. Monoism: The concept that all things are made of essentially the same spiritual substance and at a certain level are merged into the oneness of the all.

2. Pantheism: The idea that all is God (pan = all, theos = God)

3. Reincarnation: The belief in the preexistence of the soul--that is, that it returns to physical existence repeatedly until it achieves the most refined and highest state of the Great Oneness of the universe. This can also be described as Spiritual or Cosmic Evolution.

4. Enlightenment (personal and societal): The notion that through a change of consciousness about one's own divinity and the monistic "oness of all" an evolutionary step of spiritual progression can be achieved by an individual and, eventually and incrementally, by the collective society. This should result in an understanding that we have secret of esoteric knowledge contained in our subconscious self--or what Carl Jung called the "collective unconscious of the human race"--that can allow us to manipulate energy and matter by our thoughts and thereby achieve health and wealth.

5. Spiritism: The belief that there are spirits that can be contacted both of the dead and extraterrestrial sources that provide us with insight into ethics and the meaning of life on earth.

I met a woman a while ago who had a shop next to my brother's BSS store who read palms and sold crystals, crystal balls, new age music, candles, incense and all sorts of little trinkets...well in my curiosity (since my sister-in-law said she told her she was a Christian) I go in to ask her what her beliefs are...well basically, they embrace pretty much everything (religion) under the sun. She said she communes with an angel that visits her and she speaks with this angel and this angel gives her guidance and direction....I wanted to tell her sooo bad...that ain't nothing but the devil disguising himself as an angel of light.

Last edited:

dreamgurl

Ayeshia said:

I just don't have the time or better yet make the time to watch her show...she is a phenomenal woman and has done great things...but I'm either on LHCF when her show is on, not at home or spending time with my children.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

Lanelle said:
What did she say? I couldn't view the clip that was posted, it didn't work for me.
I wish I could view the clip so that I can hear what she said for myself...I'm not getting exactly what was said by reading this thread and the responses...and no one wants to fill me in either.

angaliquew

MonaLisa said:
Okay, I watched the clip, I'm confused.

I heard Oprah reference a spiritual speakers book, Marianne Williamson and said what she said in the book.

I've never gotten the impression that Oprah was not a believer in Jesus or did not feel he is the spirit that strengthens her.

I believe, she as a talk show host, that not only addresses a forum in America...but Worldwide...was trying to convey to the woman in the audience...to try and look through the eyes of someone in ANOTHER country, not the U.S., who's primary religious beliefs do focus on God/Jesus Christ, who have never ever heard of Jesus Christ or know of his word...but if they lived their lives as Jesus would have wanted them to...wouldn't that allow them to get into heaven. That was the point I got.

Or do I need to re-watch the clip?[/QUOTE]

Maybe I do too...I agree with you.

I think Oprah made a very valid point in regards to people who have never heard about Jesus but still live their life in a way that lines up with the word.

The bible even makes a reference to these people:

Romans 2:11-16 (New King James Version)

11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Also, what does Oprah's beliefs have to do with her as a person and not watching her show...isn't that a bit judgmental?

MonaLisa

Lanelle said:
I wish I could view the clip so that I can hear what she said for myself...I'm not getting exactly what was said by reading this thread and the responses...and no one wants to fill me in either.

Lanelle...keep trying to click the link...perhaps it will finally show up for you.

Good Luck L.

@ Ayeshia....interesting question.

I have one more question...then I'm gonna shut up...

So....is it not possible...to be a believer of Jesus Christ as our Saviour...and at the same time...understand that there are millions of people out in the world that do not understand the concept of Jesus...never heard the word in their lives...but live their lives with compassion, love, etc. as Jesus would want them to live their lives, they won't go to heaven because they don't understand him?

So basically, I have the same question as Oprah I guess...so whether it was her viewpoint or that of the authors she mentioned...I still understood, I guess to only me in this thread so far, what was trying to be conveyed in Oprah's question to the woman in the audience.

pebbles

Ayeshia said:

No, that's not what's being said. The point that is being made is that she has professed in the past to being Christian, yet much of what she says runs contrary to what is taught in our faith. So, in light of that, it would be wise for people to know what she really believes before declaring her to be a Christian woman, and idolized under the assumption that she really shares the same faith. :)