paging all Dominican salon lovers.......

Eyvonne7131

Hi just wanted to ask those who visit Dominican shops regulary (every two weeks or more) have you seen alot of hair growth? I found one I like and have decided to go regulary instead of trying to deal with my hair myself. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I just want to know if anyone has experienced ingredible results from continued steady visits.
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Integrity

what is the deal with Dom stylists. i see they are really poular with u guys? are they generally better or what?

i have also noticed that MALE stylists are more skilled and are better listeners than the females!! hhhmmmm!! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Eyvonne7131

Pandora, Dominican stylist do a little different technique when they do sets...after they are done they take a brush and a hand held blow dryer and blow dry your roots and loosen the set curl. Hair comes out really soft with alot of body...alot softer then the standard "roller wrap" or "doobie" that is done by alot of AA salons. They also do not use curling irons or heavy gels and sprays that alot of AA stylist use. I have been twice and both times my touch up and overall hair texture have been great!

I know that if you find a good hair dresser and go regulary you can get your hair to a very healthy state. Because they use a little different technique then AA salons, I wanted to find out if anyone has seen any long term results.

Perhaps with the popularity of "blow outs" AA salons will start doing the same...and it can become a styling option at those salons also, but so far that is not the case. Some people do not like the "blow out" but I do and from what is posted here alot of the women do also. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before I heard of "blow outs" when I was in college taking care of my own hair, one day I did not like how tight my set came out and I decided to blow the curls loose...I later make it part of my style routine and I had a very thick head of healthy bouncy hair. I had no idea this was an actual technique that was used. I later decided I wanted a major change and cut my hair real short and have been growing it out since.

Integrity

hmmm, i always have a too tight roller set so i might give the blow out technique a try (on a low heat setting of course!). thanx for that thorogh explanation /images/graemlins/cool.gifevyonne!

A

AmilLion

If your roller set is too tight, then perhaps you need to go up a size in rollers. If you use the proper size rollers and then follow by wrapping your hair, your hair shouldn't have tight curls.

Tracy

I have been going to a Dominican Stylist for years. The Spanish background in my family is of Dominican descent - so I'm partial. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know that they make the hair 'grow' so to speak - but if you find rollersets are better for your hair specifically and you don't want to have to do them yourself, a weekly visit to Dominican salon is a great way to maintain your hair in the way that's most beneficial for you without undue effort on your part. So, if your hair will stay healthier washing and setting then you'll retain more length and that will mean longer hair.

That they are "hair growing" salons is a myth. But they DO take excellent care of the hair. Some people balk at the use of high heat blowdriers to get the hair straight, but I think what some people also don't realize is that the blowdrier and brush stage of the styling process is NOT a mandatory, and not doing it makes going to these salons that much healthier an option for your hair!!! All of these salons will simply wrap the hair with pins for you if you request it after the rollers are removed. It is also possible to have the roots ONLY be straightened with heat (I do this) so that the LENGTH isn't affected by the heat of the blowdryer on a weekly basis - only the as yet unprocessed new growth is.

If you like them and the price is right, and you like the salon, I say go for it. I wash my hair 2x a week and one of them is routinely done at a Dominican salon as long as I have the money for it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pumpkin

The salon I go to asks me whether or not I want my hair blown out. They do excellent deep conditioners and use really good products.

Also if your sets come out tight try doing what AmilLion said and use larger rollers. Also use the setting lotion sparingly because this makes the hair hard. Also after roller setting and drying, wrap your hair in a doobie with a paddle brush and go back under the dryer for another 10-15 min. This will save you the damage of a blow out.

H

HoneyRockette

I don't believe Dominican salons are better than AA salons, just cheaper. If anything I have had more damage going to the Dominicans. They don't know how to apply relaxers. They put it on my entire head every time, regardless of how straight my previously relaxed hair was before. I don't speak fluent Spanish so it is hard for me to communicate with them enough to tell them not to do that. They also leave the relaxer in my hair so long that it actually burns my scalp. That could easily wipe out all the hair I have grown in between time. I have been to about seven different salons and they all do the same thing. That is the only reason why I have never been able to maintain any hair growth going to the Domincans.

vevster

I used to go to the stylist that did Mariah Carey's weave(yes, she does have a weave)

He put a texturizer in that completely wrecked my hair. My cousin went to him also and he wrecked her hair also.

Anyway, I went to a Dominican salon weekly for months and now my hair is in the best shape! It is the longest it has ever been! If you find a good domincan stylist they will condition your hair and it will GROW. Of course, follow the tips on this board also. I still go to the salon every week.