• Silk Elements lye

Votes: 31 39.2%
  • Neither...pls explain

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I'm au natual

Votes: 11 13.9%

• Total voters

kitkat3ny

Ok ladies. I have used Phyto II a couple of times and each time I have just loved the way my hair turns out. No burning, no dry crunchy hair at all. However, I don't like the "price of nice" for this one. I did try Profectiv a few months ago in August and my hair was the worst i've ever seen it in my life. It was so dry it had me scrambling to find anything that would help me keep my hair before it broke off. Anyway the Profectiv left me seriously underprocessed.

I've been hearing good things about Silk Elements and also about lye relaxers in general. I've always been a no-lye type of gal. I realized that I had been seriously misinform about lye relaxers.

For those of you who have tried Phyto and Silk Elements which do you prefer?

Kat

Last edited:

Guyaneek

Bump. I really would like to know some ladies opinion who have tried both. I have tried Phyto but I don't want to pay that much the next time around. But I guess I will if I have to... :look:

kbody4

I voted for Silk Elements Lye :) I love this relaxer because I experienced no burning and I like that fact that my hair gets straight, not bone straight. My hair is not dry since switching from no-lye to lye relaxers.

ETA: I use the mild formula.

Armyqt

kbody4 said:
I voted for Silk Elements Lye :) I love this relaxer because I experienced no burning and I like that fact that my hair gets straight, not bone straight. My hair is not dry since switching from no-lye to lye relaxers.

Have you ever used Phyto? I'd like to hear some comparisons from ppl who have used both since I'm contemplating switching from Phyto to SE.

kbody4

Armyqt said:
Have you ever used Phyto? I'd like to hear some comparisons from ppl who have used both since I'm contemplating switching from Phyto to SE.

No, I never tried Phyto. I was going to consider it, but I went with Silk Elements instead.

kitkat3ny

Thanks so much for the current replies. Anyone else?

So far it's looking like Silk Elements lye is a good product. If you have any horror stories i'd like to hear them to.

Thanks.

candita

I tried Silk Elements lye. **hands on hips** HATED IT! That shizz dried out my hair like nothing else. I'm Phyto 100%!

Royal Glory

I don't know about Silk Elements. I have use no-lye for upteen years now. But tonight, I am trying out Phyto. I have been considering using this one for some time now. I'll let you know how it turns out.

MrsBKJ

i was just wondering the same thing also....id like some reviews from ppl who have tried both as well...i love phyto but its costing me a hundred pound to get it done and im tryna cut back on my outgoings...
thanks

MonaLisa

Awwwwwww Rachi...*hair hug*

I was kinda feeling the same way....and the SE bug was nipping at me...
I bought a small jar of the mild and tried it on a small section of hair...
I loved the fact that it didn't burn me:eek: ..which was making me consider cheating on Phyto:eek: ..

but once I had my touch up (I think the best touch up I've ever had - AT HOME, no less) - I quickly apologized to Phyto for thinking of straying. I don't spend a lot going to the hairdresser, so everything balances itself out cost wise. I'm mad Polly jacked up the price...but she has great customer service and great samples (sometimes full size :) )...so...that helps with the cost some rather that getting from the store (Sephora/Ricky's here in the states).

Nanyanika

I voted silk elements, however i haven't tried Phyto due to the cost. I love my results, my pic is in my siggy

Victory1

I used Phyto for a year; love the results and a year ago I lost my job and needed to find something a little more cost effective so I switched to Mizani. I really liked Mizani a lot but was not in love with it. Last week, I needed a toch-up and decided to try Silk Element. I used the regular lye formula; I LOVE it. My hair is so silky and the price is right. I will now use this relaxer. I'm so excited to find such a great relaxer for such a bargain price!

Armyqt

I'm glad you chimed in Mona. SO the bug got you too huh? :lol: It's very tempting. I just checked out your siggy and can't believe we've been using Phyto for 2 yrs. WOW!! I know we started around the same time. You hair has grown alot. R U using the Index 2 or 1? I need to step up to the 2 because the one isn't relaxing my hair properly. I'm so torn. I don't want bone straight, I want SOME wave still left. I'm half scared the SE will straihten too much and I"ll have no wave left> decisions< decisions :look:

MonaLisa said:
Awwwwwww Rachi...*hair hug*

I was kinda feeling the same way....and the SE bug was nipping at me...
I bought a small jar of the mild and tried it on a small section of hair...
I loved the fact that it didn't burn me:eek: ..which was making me consider cheating on Phyto:eek: ..

but once I had my touch up (I think the best touch up I've ever had - AT HOME, no less) - I quickly apologized to Phyto for thinking of straying. I don't spend a lot going to the hairdresser, so everything balances itself out cost wise. I'm mad Polly jacked up the price...but she has great customer service and great samples (sometimes full size :) )...so...that helps with the cost some rather that getting from the store (Sephora/Ricky's here in the states).

kitkat3ny

Thanks all. I think i'm going to take a chance w/ the SE lye relaxer. I really like the Phyto but the price is not right w/ me.

MonaLisa

Armyqt said:
I'm glad you chimed in Mona. SO the bug got you too huh? :lol: It's very tempting. I just checked out your siggy and can't believe we've been using Phyto for 2 yrs. WOW!! I know we started around the same time. You hair has grown alot. R U using the Index 2 or 1? I need to step up to the 2 because the one isn't relaxing my hair properly. I'm so torn. I don't want bone straight, I want SOME wave still left. I'm half scared the SE will straihten too much and I"ll have no wave left> decisions< decisions :look:

*waving to Movie Star....:wave:*

Heeeeeey MovieStar...YES...I did get the bug....I even got yelled at for being in Sally's too long:look: .

But once I satisfied the itch with the SE...I was over it. I think if I wanted to go that route, I would go with the SE...as a sensitive scalped person...I think that SE is great...I felt no tingling or burn, which is important to me -- But...nothing has agreed with me like Phyto.

I use Phyto Index II. :D

Last edited:
MonaLisa said:
*waving to Movie Star....:wave:*

Heeeeeey MovieStar...YES...I did get the bug....I even got yelled at for being in Sally's too long:look: .

But once I satisfied the itch with the SE...I was over it. I think if I wanted to go that route, I would go with the SE...as a sensitive scalped person...I think that SE is great...I felt no tingling or burn, which is important to me -- But...nothing has agreed with me like Phyto.

I use Phyto Index II. :D

Hey Monalisa
Quick question do you still have a little "waves" left or are you bone straight?

MonaLisa

determined_to_grow said:
Hey Monalisa
Quick question do you still have a little "waves" left or are you bone straight?

Hi....if you mean waves like underprocessed/"textlaxed" type waves...
no...just the wave pattern when my hair is wet or moist I have little waves...

aside from that, I'm straight. My hair hair has body to it and it is straight.

Hope that helps.:)

MrsBKJ

i havent used silk elements but have used phyto apart from the initial dryness that i experienced ive loved my hair since. it has been the best relaxer i ever had. I can't recommend it enough.

delp

I just had my hair done with Phyto I. I am fine 4a. THe relaxer was in my hair roughly 16-18 min. total. I had a slight tingle but nothing worth mentioning. She washed my hair 4 times, the first wash was with Affirm's neutralizing shampoo. I would say, washing lasted: 8 minutes. She put a light protein on my hair: a mix of phyto and another (do not know). She let me sit with the conditioner on my hair about 8 min. (not under a dryer). I then had a wrap. So far, I am pleased with the softness. My hair looks very straight to me but she says it has slight curves.
(I did use Chi silk infusion as a hair protector)

So far, so good. I never used silk relaxer. The only thing I don't see is the shine. I am thinking because it is a no lye. But I am not for sure. I will not be able to see whats going on with my hair for another week or so. But, I will say I am pleased.

newflowers

candita said:
I tried Silk Elements lye. **hands on hips** HATED IT! That shizz dried out my hair like nothing else. I'm Phyto 100%!

That was my experience as well with SE no-lye - dry and breaking like crazy - the experience led me here to recover and regrow. I do not use lye relaxers because, in the distant past when I did, both at home and at the salon, my scalp always burned.

When I discovered Phyto, I felt as if it were a miracle. I had been comtemplating twa forever. I am a Phyto girl forever. The cost does get to me sometime, but the consequences of not using it are not ones I wish to experience ever again.

mytia

SuperWoman!
kbody4 said:

This goes the same for me too. I've used Phyto also and personally didn't like it.

jade998

Bump

I was going to use whatever was the ajority on this thread only to find they were dead locked :)

Could anyone that has used any of these please vote.

Thanks xx

preciousjewel76

jade998 said:
Bump

I was going to use whatever was the ajority on this thread only to find they were dead locked :)

Could anyone that has used any of these please vote.

Thanks xx

I use Silk Elements lye (regular), haven't tried Phyto. I like the SE so far; I've relaxed with it twice. It left me underprocessed, but I prefer it that way (and the underprocessed NG is very manageable, not dry or breaking off).

BrooklynSouth

kitkat3ny said:
Ok ladies. I have used Phyto II a couple of times and each time I have just loved the way my hair turns out. No burning, no dry crunchy hair at all. However, I don't like the "price of nice" for this one. I did try Profectiv a few months ago in August and my hair was the worst i've ever seen it in my life. It was so dry it had me scrambling to find anything that would help me keep my hair before it broke off. Anyway the Profectiv left me seriously underprocessed.

I've been hearing good things about Silk Elements and also about lye relaxers in general. I've always been a no-lye type of gal. I realized that I had been seriously misinform about lye relaxers.

For those of you who have tried Phyto and Silk Elements which do you prefer?

Kat

Never tried PHYTO....SE is my choice..no breakage..silky, silky, shiny results..the regular lye gave silky, wavy results but I wanted more body to my strands{the regular yields "Indian" texture; could just be the Indian oils} so switched to mild instead of regular at my last touchup. Into about the third week post touchup and I miss the straightness of the regular lye. The MILD gives me 'combability' but thicker roots which can be annoying on comb days when I have to go back to ends then to roots again. Now, depending on the next few weeks {I have to wait about 6 weeks more} I'll decide if going back to regular SE lye. My next choice would be VITALE lye if the SE fails me.

kbody4

I'm still going strong with Silk Elements. However, I use regular now because mild left me with a texlaxed look and had some breakage. I'm pleased with the results :)