Phyto Users w/Extremely Resistant Hair!

stacy

Are there any ladies with very coarse, resistant hair who used Phytospecific relaxer with good results (straight hair that still had body)? I have very coarse hair that is currently 100% natural (Kunta Kinte is the only hair twin I've found so far). I am thinking about relaxing again in three to six months and this relaxer is very intriguing. However, I am worried that it may not be "strong enough". Any and all replies would be welcomed! Thanks. Also, do any of you use the entire product line?

LadyJ76

Well, I have 4a fine hair, but it is nap nap nappy when natural, my new growth comes in very dense and is also extremely resistant. So many of the relaxers the ladies here use will do nothing for my hair, like Mizani, Motions, etc. I just started using Phyto index II and I love it. It gets my hair straight, but still leaves the body and helps to retain the thickness. My stylist does leave it on for a while and I know she makes sure to really smooth it through the roots. So far I'm really happy w/ it.

CoCoGirl821

My hair is not extremely coarse, but it is coarse and I don't think that phyto is great for getting your hair bone straight. But if that is not waht you wont then this realxer is great for you. I used Phyto index II and it left my hair underprocessed. If you use it, you might want to keep it on longer than recommended to get straight. Have you tried ORS Super? I have a friend who is really coarse (not to be offensive but she is african as well) and it made her hair straight.

stacy

Thanks for the replies! For me, it's either try Phyto II or go back to Affirm Sensitive Scalp. The idea of getting straight hair (not underprocessed) that still retains strength and body without the harsh chemicals is the allure of Phyto. If I'm going to use chemicals, I'll keep Affirm.

asiaticlily

stacy said:
Are there any ladies with very coarse, resistant hair who used Phytospecific relaxer with good results (straight hair that still had body)? I have very coarse hair that is currently 100% natural (Kunta Kinte is the only hair twin I've found so far). I am thinking about relaxing again in three to six months and this relaxer is very intriguing. However, I am worried that it may not be "strong enough". Any and all replies would be welcomed! Thanks. Also, do any of you use the entire product line?

:lachen: :lachen:

Good question because I've been looking into Phyto II for my thick, coarse hair.

brazenxvirtue

I tried Phyto and I have really, really resistant hair. It was a while ago but I *think* it was Index II. Anywho, it did almost nothing to my hair. It barely loosened the curl at all. It was just enough to help me get by with detangling, but I wouldn't even go so far as to call it texlaxed. I tried it twice just to make sure. I worked it in more and left in on longer the second time but to no avail. I just resigned myself to the fact that Phyto wasn't for me. Sigh. The bad part was that that hair couldn't be corrected. I just had to wait for it to grow out and get trimmed off.

sareca

My hair isn't particularly resistant, but I have learned something about Phyto from trial and error. The directions say apply generously and they mean it. Load it on! Phyto was on my hair for 11 minutes, but the places I accidently applied too much were very straight and still are. The places where I applied less (even tho it was on the same amount of time) came out right.

With Phyto I think it's more about the amount of product than the length of time.

Mystic

I totally agree with you Sareca. My first self-relaxing attempt with Phyto1 was a disaster - my hair was so underprocessed!. After a couple months the underprocessed part became so unbearable to comb. I decided never ever to self-relax again. I was underprocessed primarily because I was rushing (wanted to finish before the recommended time), I didn't smooth enough and I didn't realize that putting a generous amount on is the key. The hairdresser used Phyto 11 on my hair but I didn't like it so straight (I miss the body) and my last relaxer, Elucence was shameful - it barely relaxed me at all:eek:.

Fast forward to lastnight. I decided to self relax again with Phyto 1 and I was blown away by the result!! My hair came out BONE STRAIGHT! but with lots of body!! I decided to use the generous amount technique I learned here sometime ago so I applied generously, let it process (while I finished the other parts) then I smoothed, washed and I was SO shocked that Index 1 could have gotten my 4a SO straight. After being underprocessed many times with Index 1 - even by a professional hairdresser, I now realize that it is not the relaxer - it the relaxing technique!! Phyto 1 and 11 can get your hair bone straight! You just need to know how to do it.............

(Index 1 is permanently my favorite now::grin:)

sareca said:
My hair isn't particularly resistant, but I have learned something about Phyto from trial and error. The directions say apply generously and they mean it. Load it on! Phyto was on my hair for 11 minutes, but the places I accidently applied too much were very straight and still are. The places where I applied less (even tho it was on the same amount of time) came out right.

With Phyto I think it's more about the amount of product than the length of time.

Last edited:

brazenxvirtue

That soooo tempts me. :look:

Mystic said:
I totally agree with you Sareca. My first self-relaxing attempt with Phyto1 was a disaster - my hair was so underprocessed!. After a couple months the underprocessed part became so unbearable to comb. I decided never ever to self-relax again. I was underprocessed primarily because I was rushing (wanted to finish before the recommended time), I didn't smooth enough and I didn't realize that putting a generous amount on is the key. The hairdresser used Phyto 11 on my hair but I didn't like it so straight (I miss the body) and my last relaxer, Elucence was shameful - it barely relaxed me at all:eek:.

Fast forward to lastnight. I decided to self relax again with Phyto 1 and I was blown away by the result!! My hair came out BONE STRAIGHT! but with lots of body!! I decided to use the generous amount technique I learned here sometime ago so I applied generously, let it process (while I finished the other parts) then I smoothed, washed and I was SO shocked that Index 1 could have gotten my 4a SO straight. After being underprocessed many times with Index 1 - even by a professional hairdresser, I now realize that it is not the relaxer - it the relaxing technique!! Phyto 1 and 11 can get your hair bone straight! You just need to know how to do it.............

sareca

Mystic said:

:yay: I'm glad you got it sorted out. I hadn't even read that here. My experience was completely by accident. I can't wait to try again and do it right. :)

luvhair

Beauty and Fashion Junkie
I am a big believer in Phyto Index 2. I have incredibly thick and coarse and resistent hair and index 2 can get it completely straight. I agree you have to follow the right technique-- I have been using it for about a year and my stylist didnt leave it in that long and it ended up leaving my hair underprocessed but all of my other touch ups have come out straight.

Has anyone ever done a corrective relaxer with phyto?

ebonyess

I'm so glad to finally see a post like this - for us coarse/resistant girls. I'm picking it up on Saturday. I've finally finished my transition after 3 years and am ready to relax again.

One question - what other products in the Phyto line are a must buy?

Thanks LADIES!!!

EE

By the way, Stacy your pictures are such an inspiration!

Last edited:

stacy

Okay, ladies! This is good info! When you guys say apply "generously", do you mean using the whole kit to touchup your hair? I am now completely natural; do I need to apply two kits of product maybe for a virgin relaxer? Can you guys give us your "refined" directions for applying Phyto to coarse hair to get it straight?

sareca

stacy said:
Okay, ladies! This is good info! When you guys say apply "generously", do you mean using the whole kit to touchup your hair? I am now completely natural; do I need to apply two kits of product maybe for a virgin relaxer? Can you guys give us your "refined" directions for applying Phyto to coarse hair to get it straight?

My last touch-up I was 11 months post (w/ 6 inches of NG). I mixed the entire container and still ran out before I was done. I'm planning to relax again at 4-5 months post (w/ 2-3 inches of NG). I'm going to use the entire container again. :yep:

sareca

ebonyess said:
I'm so glad to finally see a post like this - for us coarse/resistant girls. I'm picking it up on Saturday. I've finally finished my transition after 3 years and am ready to relax again.

One question - what other products in the Phyto line are a must buy?

Thanks LADIES!!!

EE

By the way, Stacy your pictures are such an inspiration!

The only other thing from their line I like (and I've tried a lot of them), is Phyto Phytonectar Ultra Nourishing Shampoo. It's super moisturizing.

Mystic

Yep... I even documented it in my fotki. I could not tolerate the underprocessed ends (my hair was literally being torn out when I comb) and I couldn't take it anymore so after I got it professionally relaxed with phyto 11, 1 week or 2, (I forgot), I did a corrective relaxer on my ends. I used elastic phony bands to separate the newly relaxed parts, used my hand to massage the relaxer over the ends to straighten them out, rinsed after 7 mins and my hair came out just the way I wanted it, straight with body so when I rollerset it doesn't look underprocessed. My heart was in my mouth the whole time I was doing the correction because I swore my hair would fall off :lachen: :lachen:. That wasn't the case and I never had anymore unprocessed problems nor shedding.

luvhair said:
I am a big believer in Phyto Index 2. I have incredibly thick and coarse and resistent hair and index 2 can get it completely straight. I agree you have to follow the right technique-- I have been using it for about a year and my stylist didnt leave it in that long and it ended up leaving my hair underprocessed but all of my other touch ups have come out straight.

Has anyone ever done a corrective relaxer with phyto?

stacy

Sareca, have you tried the Phytospecific products? I'm assuming that these products are made to go with the relaxer system. I think that i will need to order another kit so that I'll have two jars for my virgin relaxer. In addition to using a generous amount of product, do you increase the time left on? If so, is the extra time for extra smoothing? How do you smooth (with fingers, a comb, etc.)?

stacy

Just got my Phytorelaxer Index II kit today. My hair length looks like Florida Evans on "Good Times". Would Florida (i.e, ME) need one or two kits to relax straight? Thanks! Bumping for more replies!

chayil0427

stacy said:

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: Girl u didn't not say Kunta was your hair twin. :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: I wouldn't say mines quite THAT far gone...I got just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiil wee bit of indian in my family on my daddy nems side. :lachen: But I'm interested to know too cause I'm thinking about using phyto so bumpety bump.

Chayil

nycutiepie

Stacy - I think you should be fine with one kit. My hair is fine/thin but it's armpit length and I use around 1/2 the container to do my touch-up and I apply it generously because I relax bone straight. I touched up a friend of mine who has coarse, resistant, "the kunta" armpit length 4b hair and I used less than 3/4 of the container. You should be good to go.

KeraKrazy

Thickness before length
I have that kunta kinte hair you speak of (EXTREMELY RESISTANT) and relaxed with phyto Index II and it left me underprocessed. I later did a corrective with a different relaxer but I am considering trying it again because I'm beginning to think it may have been my technique when I was done I had a good amount of relaxer left but I left it on for like an hour

sareca

stacy said:
Sareca, have you tried the Phytospecific products? I'm assuming that these products are made to go with the relaxer system. I think that i will need to order another kit so that I'll have two jars for my virgin relaxer. In addition to using a generous amount of product, do you increase the time left on? If so, is the extra time for extra smoothing? How do you smooth (with fingers, a comb, etc.)?

I've used a bunch of their stuff, but the first product I ever tried was the relaxer. I've used their daily moisturer (can't remember the name) but I do remember I hated it. It had protein in it and made my hair as hard as a brick after a day or so. I've never liked that milky reconstructor that comes w/ the relaxer kit. I also tried a couple of their conditioners. Same result. :( The shampoo was the only one I loved. Since then I've discovered adding a little oil to just about any poo helps get the same effect. :yep:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=99214&highlight=relaxer+review That's my relaxer procedure except I added a final ACV rinse and I used fiberguard post-relaxer (pre-neutralizing) instead of aphogee.

stacy

Thanks, ladies. I've got a generous coupon from the company I orderd the first Phyto kit from, so I'll probably order one more kit to be on the safe side. I would hate to not have enough relaxer, especially if the amount of product also affects the straightness. Sareca, how does adding pure protein affect the relaxer. I know that Phyto already has egg and soy extracts (isn't thie protein?). What's the benefit of adding more?