PHYTORELAXER & DRYNESS!

amazin9

I have been having problems with dry hair since I switched to phytorelaxer. I am currently using Index 2 and my hair is constantly dry.:angry2: I have fine 4b hair because my new growth is not a spiral, it is in a soft z pattern. I have always had problems with no-lye relaxers making my hair dry, so I am not sure if this is the culprit, since this is a "natural" no-lye relaxer. Is anyone else experiencing dryness with this product?:confused: I even bought the Intense Nutrition Shampoo and conditioner by Phytospecific and still dry hair!:eek: At this point I don't know if I should switch back to a lye relaxer, but I would like one that leaves the thickness in my hair like Phyto does. I just need help right now.....:(

MonaLisa

Amazin....I am distressed at your plight. I'm a 4a/b..I think more b and fine haired...and I too have recently used Phyto, Index 2...and it turned out wonderfully.

I'm hoping that my beloved phyto is not the source of your misery...

waiting for the Pusha...

taivillo

sometimes dry hair has to do with the dryness of our inside body. Try taking some Flax oils or drinking more water

sengschick

The Bun Master
Well I've found that the Phyto line itself may not address hydration to a degree that I'd like, so I use other products. I would recommend that you do the same. Go to whatever usually keeps your hair moisturized and supple instead of continuing to use products that aren't working for you. The Milky Reconstructor when used not after the relaxer did leave me feeling dry and the neutralizer as well. I follow up w/a Nexxus Omnipack immediately after relaxing, so I don't have this problem. If anything is doing your hair harm I suggest abandoning ship immediately.

Nice

I agree with Sengschick......use whatever conditioner that works best for your hair. I also use Phytorelaxer but that is the only product that I use from Phyto. I know when SherryLove (she also uses Phytorelaxer) she follows up with AO GPB instead of the milky reconstructor that comes with the relaxer. HTH

deborah11

I used this relaxer when it first came out and I too had extreme breakage and dryness. i guess i fell into that minority for which this relaxer did not work. I used it for about 18 months b4 realizing what the problem was. I too, initailly loved the relaxer b/c my hair had lots of body and was not bone straight. it defineitely damaged my hair over time and it turned a wierd brownish, ugly color. Also historically, my hair never did well with no-lye relaxers and phyto falls in this category. Eventually, I had to get my hair cut off (short) and start all over. Please be careful as maybe this relaxer is not for u. few things work for everybody. good luck!

amazin9

Thanks for the replies ladies. I will try a different shampoo and conditioner combination. I am looking for something moisturizing without SLS. That tends to make my hair dry as well. Any suggestions? The last time I used the reconstructor after my touch up, my hair was really tangled. What type of moisturizing daily product is anyone using?

MonaLisa

As far as poos go...I'm a Keracare Detangling, CON and NTM user.

My main daily moisturizer is Surge Woojee Cream. I also use Elasta QP Mango Butter and BB Castor Oil Moisturizer. I plan on getting back to my UBH Daily Moisturizer though.

Conditioners:
Moisturizing: Keracare Humecto; NTM Conditioner

Protein: MNT/AO GPB/UBH.

Nice

amazin9 said:
Thanks for the replies ladies. I will try a different shampoo and conditioner combination. I am looking for something moisturizing without SLS. That tends to make my hair dry as well. Any suggestions? The last time I used the reconstructor after my touch up, my hair was really tangled. What type of moisturizing daily product is anyone using?

Elucence products!!!!!!!!!!!

jasmin

I only use the relaxer but my hair is dry no matter what I use. It doesn't help that I live in Chicago (winter).

I'm going to try to make sure I drink more water and take more flax seed.

amazin9

deborah11 said:
I used this relaxer when it first came out and I too had extreme breakage and dryness. i guess i fell into that minority for which this relaxer did not work. I used it for about 18 months b4 realizing what the problem was. I too, initailly loved the relaxer b/c my hair had lots of body and was not bone straight. it defineitely damaged my hair over time and it turned a wierd brownish, ugly color. Also historically, my hair never did well with no-lye relaxers and phyto falls in this category. Eventually, I had to get my hair cut off (short) and start all over. Please be careful as maybe this relaxer is not for u. few things work for everybody. good luck!

Thanks deborah. No-lye relaxers have not worked for me in typically in the past either. I somehow thought this would be different. I have had three touchups with this relaxer and I believe I must jump ship in order to preserve my hair. Have you found a lye relaxer that doesnot relax bone straight for your hair?

LiLi

amazin9 said:
Thanks deborah. No-lye relaxers have not worked for me in typically in the past either. I somehow thought this would be different. I have had three touchups with this relaxer and I believe I must jump ship in order to preserve my hair. Have you found a lye relaxer that doesnot relax bone straight for your hair?

Affirm relaxers are really wonderful relaxers. I have used the fiberguard no-lye for the last 2 touchups and the section that was relaxed with it still feels like a fresh relaxer (smooth and not dry). I can definitely tell a difference from the sections were the affirm was applied and the sections that weren't. Also about 5 weeks ago I used the fiberguard lye on a small section of my hair and also smoothed it on the previous relaxed sections that were badly underprocessed (dry, brittle, and frizzy) and now that area feels much much better. I can tell a big difference and I have not had any breakage in that section so far (I keep it braided so I'll know which section I did). When I do finally relax I will be using the fiberguard lye instead of the no-lye. Also that section is not bone straight.

Armyqt

OK, why the hell y'all wait until I get the relaxer to start talking about dryness, breakage and cutting. DAMN!! :mad:

I'm just playing :lol:
But for real though :look:

Chichi

My relaxer of choice is Affirm Fiberguard Mild Lye. It straigthens my hair (75%) and still leaves thickness in it. If you follow the time constraints of the relaxer, you won't feel any dryness at all.

I was mulling over trying the phyto since so many are raving about it but think that I will just stick to my current perm because it is working so well for me.

Chichi :bdance:

Lindy

Chichi said:
I was mulling over trying the phyto since so many are raving about it but think that I will just stick to my current perm because it is working so well for me.

I was thinking of trying it too but the Affirm No lye has been doing well for me for years. I think I'd better just stick with that. :look:

kitchen_tician

I've never used Phyto, but was tempted after reading all of the reviews. I've also had bad experiences with NO-LYE relaxers and decided to stick with Affirm. I use regular Affirm Mild and it doesn't relax bone straight. I've tried the Fiberguard, but it caused scalp irritation (itching). I guess I'm just a big ol' "Lye-Head". :D

lexi08

Design Essentials Lye Relaxer in Mild or Regular Strength are good relaxers. My stylist uses the regular strength on my hair and it is not relaxed bone straight, my hair strands are fine but my hair still has thickness and body after relaxing.

UmSumayyah

I was a bit concerned about the reviews until I read that there had been problems with no-lye in the past.
No-lye is the only kind that does it for me, so I'm full-steam ahead to try the phyto! :D

katie

Lindy said:
I was thinking of trying it too but the Affirm No lye has been doing well for me for years. I think I'd better just stick with that. :look:
Yep!That's what I use too.ANd I'm sticking with it

sengschick

The Bun Master
Armyqt said:
OK, why the hell y'all wait until I get the relaxer to start talking about dryness, breakage and cutting. DAMN!! :mad:

:lol: Well none of the rest of us have had this problem. There are too many variables when it comes to relaxing that depend on the state of the hair being relaxed, so I always take negative responses w/that grain of salt. Any product is best when used on hair that is healthy and moisture-protein balanced before a chemical is used. But I think that if you already know your hair doesn't like no-lye, it's best to stick w/lye. Now if you are using Affirm No-Lye :look: you should just trade up and come over to the team. :lol:

@ Lindy: :assimilat

sengschick

The Bun Master
amazin9 said:

Elucence makes wonderful poos and such w/o SLS. Therrape has SLS I believe, but it's still one of the best all time moisturizing conditioning poos in my book. Just a tip on reconstructing. You may want to follow w/another poo (moisturizing poo) followed by a moisturizing conditioner. Dryness should be alleviated. I don't use any daily product for moisture b/c I don't really need to. You want to make sure your hair comes out of conditioning, etc. nicely moisturized.

jasmin

I'm getting the feeling that people (not all) who don't do well with no lye should probably stick with lye. Phyto is a good relaxer but it's not for everyone but hey that means there's more for me.

hopeful

Armyqt said:

Armyqt, you are too funny! :lachen:

amazin9

jasmin said:
I'm getting the feeling that people (not all) who don't do well with no lye should probably stick with lye. Phyto is a good relaxer but it's not for everyone but hey that means there's more for me.

That is the feeling I am getting as well.:ohwell: I will just have to go back to a mild lye relaxer. Jasmin, I too am dealing with winter in the Midwest!:eek: I live 30 miles away from Chicago, so my hair is extra dry! But, the relaxer leaves it shiny. :perplexed

KAddy

Amazing, is it just your roots that feel dry and hard or is it the entire length of your hair?

I would think that if is is mainly the roots with this feeling then you could probably attribute it to your hair not liking no-lye relaxers. However, if it is mainly the length of your hair it may be something else.

I had another thought, but I forgot it...

Armyqt

OK I'm back..and with a more lucrative response this time ;)

OK here's the deal. The DRYING agent in no-lye relaxers is the calcium hydroxide. It leaves calcium deposits (buildup) on the hair shaft which forms a barrier against moisture. This element has been removed from Phyto. It's conductor is guanadine. So therefore, I think Phyto is the best of both worlds. It's easy on the scalp AND the hair. The proof is in the pudding. And I've seen it firsthand already. I remain optimistic that the quality of my hair will continue to improve with Phyto. But you know as with every other product...what works for some, doesn't work for all. It's all about finding what's best for your hair, and sometimes that means taking a chance.:)

And if all your hair falls on the floor just remember, it's just hair and it will eventually grow back :lol:

landakaye

The relaxer worked fine for me but I know the culprit that had my hair all ate up and dry as dick's hat band was the Milky stuff cuz I tried using it again after a shampoo and my hair was like,"umm no ma'am!"

KAddy

landakaye said:
The relaxer worked fine for me but I know the culprit that had my hair all ate up and dry as dick's hat band was the Milky stuff cuz I tried using it again after a shampoo and my hair was like,"umm no ma'am!"

The milky reconstructor is very similar, IMO, to keraphix. It is a mild protein that can be mixed with a more moisturizing conditioner for added kick (I read that on the site) or used alone and, although not mentioned, followed up by some type of moisturizing agent; be it a conditioner or a leave-in. I think most of us that use the relaxer tend to use something else after using the milk reconstructor. I personally have used it alone and the lasttime mixed it with my vital force creme bath and both results were excellent for me.

landakaye said:

Hmm... so maybe the Milky Reconstructor was the culprit? I ordered my Phyto kit a little while ago so when it gets here I'll use everything at least once, but I'll pay close attention to how my hair reacts to the reconstructor.

Landakaye, how did you handle the dryness?