Phytospecifi Relaxer Users assuage a naturals curiosity!

luckiestdestiny

Okay I thought this thread would be good for two reasons.

1: It would help those who are on the fence about using phyto
2: purely selfish. It will help me decide whether I'll get a relaxer in the next few months or remain a natural.

So I've heard a lot about phyto and read a lot of reviews.

However I thought it'd be excellent if we could all see your best phyto hair.

So if you would please post pics of your phyto hair and list
A. Why you love phyto versus the others you've used and
B. How long you've used it.

So come on. Please! Work your phyto hair for those who are considering jumping in. Show the best pics of you with the relaxer you love so much!

luckiestdestiny

Bump! I thought for sure PHYTo users would flock to post their pics. Can't we have a thread that's eye candy for the product you all love so much? That way I can see the results of phyto in addition to reading the reviews in one big thread!

Come on you guys. Someone HELP.

Mystic

I started out LHCF with hair looking like this. This was when I used to use Affirm, and a little too much heat.

With the second application of phyto Index 1 my hair looked like this

13 months later with Index 1, my hair looked like this

I was able to maintain thicker hair with phyto, and I rarely used heat. All styles above were maintained with rollerset.

I did an unplanned BC because I self-relaxed with Index 2 and got two tone strands which I found annoying sometimes. If I didn't BC, I would still be using Phyto and have BSL hair by now.

Summary
1. I LOVE phyto because it gives my hair bounce and body from day 1 of relaxing.
2. I LOVE phyto because it doesn't burn
3. I LOVE phyto because I was able to stretch my relaxer for months (up to 7 months) without my hair breaking. Maybe this was because the relaxed part was so strong, there wasn't much decarnation line weakness.

1. I HATE phyto because of the price
2. I HATE phyto because it was SO drying. Luckily, this wasn't a problem for me after a while because I started to henna my hair and dryness was no longer an issue.

I love being natural now because I do not have to think about going to the salon to relax nor do I have to spend $60 for the relaxer. However, I am 100% that I will relax again and the relaxer for me will be phyto. I hope this helps.

BTW, I used elucence relaxer one time and it failed in comparison to phyto. I have also used other lye relaxers and I end up with hair that has no body so I guess I am a bit biased with phyto because it really helped with giving my hair life and body.

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

I started out LHCF with hair looking like this. This was when I used to use Affirm, and a little too much heat.

With the second application of phyto Index 1 my hair looked like this

13 months later with Index 1, my hair looked like this

I was able to maintain thicker hair with phyto, and I rarely used heat. All styles above were maintained with rollerset.

I did an unplanned BC because I self-relaxed with Index 2 and got two tone strands which I found annoying sometimes. If I didn't BC, I would still be using Phyto and have BSL hair by now.

Summary
1. I LOVE phyto because it gives my hair bounce and body from day 1 of relaxing.
2. I LOVE phyto because it doesn't burn
3. I LOVE phyto because I was able to stretch my relaxer for months (up to 7 months) without my hair breaking. Maybe this was because the relaxed part was so strong, there wasn't much decarnation line weakness.

1. I HATE phyto because of the price
2. I HATE phyto because it was SO drying. Luckily, this wasn't a problem for me after a while because I started to henna my hair and dryness was no longer an issue.

I love being natural now because I do not have to think about going to the salon to relax nor do I have to spend $60 for the relaxer. However, I am 100% that I will relax again and the relaxer for me will be phyto. I hope this helps.

BTW, I used elucence relaxer one time and it failed in comparison to phyto. I have also used other lye relaxers and I end up with hair that has no body so I guess I am a bit biased with phyto because it really helped with giving my hair life and body.

Your hair looks gorgeous and shiny. Henna actually helped with the dryness? I thought it would make it dryer? So phyto actually made your hair dryer before henna as compared to using affirm? Just curious. Also you started out with phyto I what made you think of going to II and what type is your hair?! Your hair is so WOWZER!!!:yep:

Mystic

Thank you Luckiest. Coming form you that's a big compliment.

Henna gave me the shine. Henna is not drying - it's what you put in the mixture that makes it drying. I do not put ACV in my mix, I only use oils, and the powder with hot h2O.

The lye relaxers did not dry out my hair, only phyto but because of the benefit of the relaxer on my hair I compromised and kept on using it. It worked out for me though because of henna.

I switched to Index 2 because I wanted my hair to be straighter and longer. I had the body but wanted length. Index 2 was good but some parts became too straight and other parts had texlax look. I didn't like the feel, and I regretted self-relaxing. It bothered me most when my hair was wet and I was rollersetting. When I go back to relaxing I will use Index 1. I am 4a.

Your hair looks gorgeous and shiny. Henna actually helped with the dryness? I thought it would make it dryer? So phyto actually made your hair dryer before henna as compared to using affirm? Just curious. Also you started out with phyto I what made you think of going to II and what type is your hair?! Your hair is so WOWZER!!!:yep:

soulie

No pics. However, I use Phyto II and it gives me incredible body. No burning, my hair is strong and after relaxing it doesn't feel limp, it's almost... heavy... because it is retaining moisture. I never have the feeling that my relaxer has reverted; the relaxed portion stays fresh for months after relaxing.

luckiestdestiny

No pics. However, I use Phyto II and it gives me incredible body. No burning, my hair is strong and after relaxing it doesn't feel limp, it's almost... heavy... because it is retaining moisture. I never have the feeling that my relaxer has reverted; the relaxed portion stays fresh for months after relaxing.

So no drying effects for you?

Mystic

The drying started after I have been using the product for a while. Not sure if that made a difference.

onejamifan

You can see the results of my first Phyto II experience in my avatar. I've only used it 2 times and was happy with the results, but I must say that the price has turned me off, particularly right now. I co-sign with everything the the other posters have said about the great bounce, shine and strength my hair has after using it, but I have had NO DRYING effects thus far. Again, I only used it twice and made sure that for my first wash day after using the relaxer I would use a chelating shampoo and do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment. Forking out $60 for the product and another $65 for my stylist to apply it, is a bit much for my pocket right about now. I definitely recommend this product :)

Kalani

I've been using phyto for almost four years now?

I love it for the same reasons others have already mentioned; thickness, body, bounce, no burning. I haven't noticed much dryness.

For me the price is totally worth it. I never go to salons though so I save money in that area.

I'm no good at posting pics but you can check out my "phyto hair" in my fotki.

luckiestdestiny

You can see the results of my first Phyto II experience in my avatar. I've only used it 2 times and was happy with the results, but I must say that the price has turned me off, particularly right now. I co-sign with everything the the other posters have said about the great bounce, shine and strength my hair has after using it, but I have had NO DRYING effects thus far. Again, I only used it twice and made sure that for my first wash day after using the relaxer I would use a chelating shampoo and do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment. Forking out $60 for the product and another $65 for my stylist to apply it, is a bit much for my pocket right about now. I definitely recommend this product :)
So would you say a chelating shampoo is necessary as it's a lye relaxer? Thanks for the info btw and the pic in your avatar.

luckiestdestiny

Come on everyone! I was hoping this thread would be like a magazine spread with people showing off their phyto hair. Shake what ya mamma (or in this case phyto) gave ya! Post those pics for reference....

Mystic

Luckiest, phyto is a no lye relaxer so it's important to use a clarifying shampoo to minimize calcium build up.

Keep bumping the thread. I am sure there are many other users.

So would you say a chelating shampoo is necessary as it's a lye relaxer? Thanks for the info btw and the pic in your avatar.

onejamifan

Phytospecific is a no-lye relaxer. It uses a different chemical to relax hair, not the usual calcium hydroxide in other no-lye relaxers (please someone correct me if I'm wrong). With that said, I still use the shampoo JUST in case to make sure there are no mineral deposits in my hair etc. I guess it's just an added precaution. By the way, I just got back from getting my hair relaxed with Silk Elements Lye Regular and I think I have made the switch! Check out my fotki and other thread about the experience.

luckiestdestiny

Luckiest, phyto is a no lye relaxer so it's important to use a clarifying shampoo to minimize calcium build up.

Keep bumping the thread. I am sure there are many other users.
Correction, I meant no lye. But exactly...the whole calcium build up thing is something from reading, that only happens with no lye I'm assuming!

Artemis

Like onejamifan said, calcium deposits come from no-lye relaxers that use calcium hydroxide to relaxer the hair. Phyto is not a calcium hydroxide relaxer...

Will keep an eye on this thread for more pics...

luckiestdestiny

Hey Pushaaaa! I'm a hair virgin...where's your pics? You need to make me wanna get what you're pushing being as I'm all natural and all...:grin:
oooh I know you're getting excited about pushing that creamy crack on me!:yep: