Phytospecifi Relaxer Users assuage a naturals curiosity!

niva

I've been using phyto for almost four years now?

I love it for the same reasons others have already mentioned; thickness, body, bounce, no burning. I haven't noticed much dryness.

For me the price is totally worth it. I never go to salons though so I save money in that area.

I'm no good at posting pics but you can check out my "phyto hair" in my fotki.

dtachi -

Your hair is very pretty. Are you texlax?

OP thanks for this thread!

Kalani

dtachi -

Your hair is very pretty. Are you texlax?

OP thanks for this thread!

Thankyou! Actually I do a regular relax. For whatever reason my hair still maintains a huge amount of curlyness, which is fine with me as long its manageable. I did notice that Phyto allows for more defined curls whereas my past relaxers gave me more flat, spiral type curls.

Nefertiti0906

I just got Phyto Index I on Friday. So far so good. My hair looks exactly as it does natural (which I'm thrilled about) except it's easier to comb.

I'll have to update my fotki with pics soon!

Thanks for the tip on the chelating for wash day. Is this used for every wash day?

Artemis

Hey people!! Quick question: For those who experienced dryness finally after years of phyto use, what do you think 'triggered' the dryness? Where you chelating or no? I mean I'd hate to be in love for years and then have to chop my ish off 3 yrs later b/c of phyto. That's one of my main concerns right now...Thanks.

Nefertiti0906

Hey people!! Quick question: For those who experienced dryness finally after years of phyto use, what do you think 'triggered' the dryness? Where you chelating or no? I mean I'd hate to be in love for years and then have to chop my ish off 3 yrs later b/c of phyto. That's one of my main concerns right now...Thanks.

I would like to know this also. Based off reading some posts, I think it's best to chelate before the next retouch...

Nefertiti0906

So far it's been 2 months and 2 weeks since my relaxer and I have no complaints. I'm planning to get a retouch every 6 months for Phyto I.

The demercation between the new growth and the relaxed hair is strong :)

newflowers

My available picture is in my avatar - that is my phyto hair. It's strong and shiny. I don't experience dryness with phyto, and I've been using it for sixish years. The problem I used to have was taking so many shampoos to get to the pure white suds. Aracdian gave me the tip: after the first wash, do an acv rinse, and then wash again - immediate white suds. I just relaxed yesterday for the first time since the beginning of November. I experienced no breakage because my demarcation line was strong. I also love that I have no reversion which was a problem in my pre-phyto days and on those occasions when I got cheap and tried something else. Also, I have a very sensitive scalp, but with phyto, there is no burning, or dry, tight scalp. I do use a chelating shampoo, do a protein treatment, and a deep moisturizing treatment on the first wash which for me is usually after two or three days.

I love phyto and am resolved to keep with what works. I also use phytologie shampoos, conditioners, and treatments. I love them all.

sprungonhairboards

I've been using Phyto Index 1 for about 3 years now. I did Phyto in all virgin hair after years of being natural. No complaints, no dryness, etc. You can see pics in my avatar and siggy. I'm mad it's $60 but I only retouch twice a year and I do it myself so it's not too bad. I definately wouldnt use another no-lye relaxer. If there was no more Phyto I'd use lye before I used a different no-lye.

caribgirl

I have been using Phyto 2 since Sept 2007 and I have no regrets! I have not experienced any drying issues at all! I am a DIY-er and the price is not an issue for me. It is definitely worth the money.

luckiestdestiny

I've been using Phyto Index 1 for about 3 years now. I did Phyto in all virgin hair after years of being natural. No complaints, no dryness, etc. You can see pics in my avatar and siggy. I'm mad it's $60 but I only retouch twice a year and I do it myself so it's not too bad. I definately wouldnt use another no-lye relaxer. If there was no more Phyto I'd use lye before I used a different no-lye.
2 questions if you please

1. Why do you like it? Everyone says Phyto for life and stuff...and believe me your hair looks gorgeous, but I want to know what is it about phyto that you love so much. Please be as specific if you can. Thanks.

2. How do you manage your hair to get no dryness (chelating, how often, what else do you do)

*C00KIE*

I have a couple of questions also for the ones who has been using the phyto...

1. I am natural but I plan on soon relaxing in another 2 months or so has anyone apply to the phyto relaxer creme a protein/amino acid, like "Neutral Protein Filler"or do you do a protein treatment to your hair after washing out the relaxer/neutralizer or do you do both..

2. Also do you add oil to the relaxer mixture as well and if you do what kind of oil have you added or have you added the revitalizing oil (contains: peanut oil, sunflower oil and castor oil) from phyto... do you think that it would even be smart to add any kind of oil, if I want bone str8 hair

soulie

I have a couple of questions also for the ones who has been using the phyto...

1. I am natural but I plan on soon relaxing in another 2 months or so has anyone apply to the phyto relaxer creme a protein/amino acid, like "Neutral Protein Filler"or do you do a protein treatment to your hair after washing out the relaxer/neutralizer or do you do both..

2. Also do you add oil to the relaxer mixture as well and if you do what kind of oil have you added or have you added the revitalizing oil (contains: peanut oil, sunflower oil and castor oil) from phyto... do you think that it would even be smart to add any kind of oil, if I want bone str8 hair

I have never added anything to the relaxer. I do a Nexxus Emergencee treatment about a week before I relax, and I apply a milder protein for about 5-7 minutes after I rinse out the relaxer but before I neutralize.

I am bone straight and add nothing to my relaxer. There are other posts around here that suggest not adding oil if you want to be bone straight. I use the revitalizing oil treatment on the previously relaxed hair as a protectant - that is what Phyto recommends.

soulie

1. Why do you like it? Everyone says Phyto for life and stuff...and believe me your hair looks gorgeous, but I want to know what is it about phyto that you love so much. Please be as specific if you can. Thanks.

2. How do you manage your hair to get no dryness (chelating, how often, what else do you do)

I don't like Phyto - I am in LOVE with Phyto. I have no dryness from it - I've read that others have experienced this, but personally I have not. My hair feels very "heavy" after I relax - like I have added something good to it, not like it has just undergone a chemical bond-breaking session. I have a lot of body, it styles easily and looks very healthy.

I clarify or chelate once a month but that is because of all the other gunk I feel building up on my hair - not because of dryness.

sprungonhairboards

1. I like it because I acheived the result I was looking for. It reduced the bulk and frizziness of my hair without making it 'straight'. It's still very close to my natural texture but I can straighten it easily and it stays straight(again I use index 1. If I wanted straight hair I'd definately use index 2). That was my only reason for texturizing, wearing straight hair was NOT an option when I was natural. It's not limp and flat like it's been with other relaxers I used in the past, it's still full and thick. It doesnt contain the harsh chemicals that regular no-lye relaxers have so I don't have the damage and buildup and dullness and dryness that I've experienced, specifically from no-lye relaxers in the past. That's why I say I'd use lye if there was no Phyto. Or go back natural.

2. I wash and deep condition with heat every week or week and a half. I only straighten about twice a month and just let it do what it do the rest of the time. I make sure it stays moisturised and I clarify every couple of months or so but not on schedule, just as a preventative measure. And i JUST started doing that. My routine hasn't changed much from when I was natural, mainly just the products. I don't worry about dryness as much now either. I dont really have any issues to combat which was never the case with other relaxers.

Last edited:

*C00KIE*

1. I like it because I acheived the result I was looking for. It reduced the bulk and frizziness of my hair without making it 'straight'. It's still very close to my natural texture but I can straighten it easily and it stays straight(again I use index 1. If I wanted straight hair I'd definately use index 2). That was my only reason for texturizing, wearing straight hair was NOT an option when I was natural. It's not limp and flat like it's been with other relaxers I used in the past, it's still full and thick. It doesnt contain the harsh chemicals that regular no-lye relaxers have so I don't have the damage and buildup and dullness and dryness that I've experienced, specifically from no-lye relaxers in the past. That's why I say I'd use lye if there was no Phyto. Or go back natural.

2. I wash and deep condition with heat every week or week and a half. I only straighten about twice a month and just let it do what it do the rest of the time. I make sure it stays moisturised and I clarify every couple of months or so but not on schedule, just as a preventative measure. And i JUST started doing that. My routine hasn't changed much from when I was natural, mainly just the products. I don't worry about dryness as much now either. I dont really have any issues to combat which was never the case with other relaxers.

Your hair is soooo pretty and thick... how often do you use protein

Duff

I use and love phyto. I use index 1. I used it to relax totally straight and now I use it to texlax. my pic is in my siggy right after a relaxer. my hair is thicker which is great for my fine hair and my new growth comes out and feels very soft and not dry or hard. oh...no dryness for me! yeah!!!!!

sprungonhairboards

Your hair is soooo pretty and thick... how often do you use protein

Thanks.

Well, ORS replenishing is my staple deep conditioner, I use that every wash. Although people consider it light protein, I've always considered it more moisturizing, at least for my hair. It gives me the right balance of both I guess. I never do the heavy protein treatments like aphogee or anything like that except a week before and a week after I relax and that's only twice a year. Or unless I have shedding or breakage and that's rare. Just on an as needed basis. My hair relys more on moisture than protein. I've learned to listen to my hair and give it what it wants when it wants it instead of trying to make it fit into a routine I came up with. I also use Mizani H2O on my ends when they need it and I use Organics olive oil leave in regularly as a leave in and a moisturizer, that has a little protein.