Pictures of Different Hair types

PanamasOwn

Can anyone post exact pictures that go along with the hair typing scale?
I was reading a post about 4b hair types and what they look like. I figured that many of type our hair incorrectly. SO if anyone who has EXACT knowledge of what each type of hair looks like, could you please post a picture of each one along with what type?

(I.E.- 3C and a PIC)

good2uuuu

So, I'm more 3b than 3c, which I always thought I was? I'm confused. I think I'll just stick to plain ole curly hair. That's my type. Plain ole curly.

glamazon386

There are pictures on the LHCF Main Page and if you search there have been plenty of threads about it with pictures on here. HTH... Also 3c was added later on by people who felt they didn't fit in 3b or 4a so that might explain why there is such a discrepancy with that particular type or why there is so much overlap there.

MissJ

kittenz

MissJ said:
OOOOO!!!! I like this one. I'm def. somewhere in the 4 range although not quite the very first one, at least I don't think so. Having almost 20 years of chemicals in my hair I can't really be sure. :look:

Last edited:

ashmack

To me, none of these hair types are very accurate. There are A LOT of different textures between 3 and 4. My hair is not as tightly curled as 4 and not as loose as 3. I just have a hard time believing that the billions of people in this world can all classify their hair into about 4 categories. Even if you add in the a's, b's and c's, you still are only working with 12 categories at the most. This just does not seem right. I'm not even talking about people having a mixure of textures on their head. Most of the strands of my head do not look like any of these pictures. I have just randomly labeled my hair texture as 4a only based upon my ethnicity. I know it's faarrr from accurate but I figured that since I'm a regular ol' black girl, I must have regular ol' black hair, 4a or 4b. Does my hair look like any of the 4a or 4b pictures? Nope. Does it look like 3a,b, or c? Heck no! I don't know what to do. It just seems that for as many different skin colors are in the world there are also that many hair textures. Maybe I'm wrong. OP, sorry I took this as a chance to vent my personal hair frustrations. :nono: Continue...

rabs77

To me, none of these hair types are very accurate. There are A LOT of different textures between 3 and 4. My hair is not as tightly curled as 4 and not as loose as 3. I just have a hard time believing that the billions of people in this world can all classify their hair into about 4 categories. Even if you add in the a's, b's and c's, you still are only working with 12 categories at the most. This just does not seem right. I'm not even talking about people having a mixure of textures on their head. Most of the strands of my head do not look like any of these pictures. I have just randomly labeled my hair texture as 4a only based upon my ethnicity. I know it's faarrr from accurate but I figured that since I'm a regular ol' black girl, I must have regular ol' black hair, 4a or 4b. Does my hair look like any of the 4a or 4b pictures? Nope. Does it look like 3a,b, or c? Heck no! I don't know what to do. It just seems that for as many different skin colors are in the world there are also that many hair textures. Maybe I'm wrong. OP, sorry I took this as a chance to vent my personal hair frustrations. :nono: Continue...

:yep: I am also in the not 3c,not 4a zone :ohwell:

LynnieB

On BHM, afrogerman girl put together a more diverse pictorial of various hair types..........:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81738

i thought it was good but i also agree that the 4a and 4b's need deeper subtypes like the 3's.

on a personal note LOL: i'm also in the "don't even try to categorize my stuff" camp.

too varied, to many textures, various wave/curl patterns and strand characteristics for it to be easily typed. :grin:

i like to call it mystery hair and leave it at that:drunk::spinning:.

silvergirl

im even more confused now............. type 1, 2, and 4, are pretty easy to hair type to me.... but i cant for the life of me figure out type 3

and ive even been told i was type 3a, 3b, AND type 3c . lol.. so i just stick with type 3 something...

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
Good lord ... I'm more confused about this than ever. :perplexed

I have too many hair types on my head, so I'm just not gonna worry about it right now.

missty1029

Here is a website that gives that information. But some need to remember they may have a few of these textures on their head so it could even make the typing of the hair more difficult.

http://www.curlyhairsalon.com/hairtypes.html

Here is another site that has an article explaining the latest hair typing system called L O I S

http://www.ourhair.net/content/view/29/40/

Whats up with the firstl link having a section for biracial hair!!! i done heard it all now!!! next time someone asks me about my hair Ill just say thanks its biracial!!! NOT!

sweetcashew

The first chart woud put me in the type 2 range and the second chart would put me in the 3's. I always thought I was more 3c with some 3b and little bit of 4a.
I showed my mom the chart (she remembers what my natural hair looks like more than I do) and she says I'm somewhere in the 2's (first chart). No 4's in sight for me.
Now I'm confused.

cocosweet

Slightly OT: sweetcashew, your hair is bananas! Absolutely stunning.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.