Pictures of Different Hair types

chicacanella

thanks but i've given up on typing. :nono:

yeah, the best thing to do is if you see something working with someone who has a similiar texture, then it wouldn't hurt to try their products. But who knows something that works great for a 1 type person make work well on me also. Come to think of it, most of the products I use are made for white ladies with a type 1 or 2 hair.

wheezy807

Ladies i am type 4a, right?

chicacanella

somewhere around 4a/3c cause your hair looks to be farther apart in waves towards the back.

the best site to look on would be that first link given. They were more accurate than anything.

PanamasOwn

On BHM, afrogerman girl put together a more diverse pictorial of various hair types..........:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=81738

i thought it was good but i also agree that the 4a and 4b's need deeper subtypes like the 3's.

on a personal note LOL: i'm also in the "don't even try to categorize my stuff" camp.

too varied, to many textures, various wave/curl patterns and strand characteristics for it to be easily typed. :grin:

i like to call it mystery hair and leave it at that:drunk::spinning:.

See thats why I started this thread... my natural hair, is not at all a 4 but not a 3b either.. Im not really sure if If I fall into 3c, 3d or 3e. With transitioning I can see all the various textures that I have and most of it is curly, with a mixture of deep and loose waves... Maybe we should come up with our own scale that better suits us.

DivaRox

I don't understand the need or purpose to put hair into a specific category. Whatever it is, you still have to figure out what works best for your own individual case right? So, am I missing some great significance to categorizing our hair?:perplexed I ended up settling on 4b with 3b spots even when I know for a fact that my hair defies any convention. I just felt pressured to pick one:look:

I know my hair bounces back from any of the madcap brainstorms I put it through. I know it lays down when it's supposed to most times and has been pretty patient with me through the long learning curve. That's good enough for me-no category needed.

Sorry-:eek:ffrant:

Last edited:

janee

This is 4a also. Correct? Whenever I see new growth, its always waves. I don't have any waves.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 13

Cichelle

im even more confused now............. type 1, 2, and 4, are pretty easy to hair type to me.... but i cant for the life of me figure out type 3

and ive even been told i was type 3a, 3b, AND type 3c . lol.. so i just stick with type 3 something...

I hear ya. I usually say 3b, but honestly I have no idea anymore. Sometimes I see pictures of 3b hair and it just doesn't look like mine. I think length definitely affects the look of curly hair. My hair gets more wavy and less curly the longer it gets...yet does that mean my hair type has changed? :spinning:

Thank goodness it's not really important. But it's interesting, nonetheless.

janee

looks 4aish to me.

the coils look so purty :infatuated: Can't wait to see them when you're fully natural :)

thanks. I can't wait either. My hair needs to grow faster. :yep:
I didn't even know my hair did that until a month ago. I let my hair airdry without combing out the new growth. I was surprised.

AvaSpeaks

I think we all are forgetting something. Hair textures and hair types are two different things. For example, somebody that has thick, fine, curly hair is going to look different from someone who has thin, fine, curly hair. Just like with the Afro textured hair. Some people got thick and course hair and then some people got thick and fine hair or thick and medium.

Or thick curly hair and it's fine, but the curls are extremely loose, like Sandra Oh from Grey's Anatomy. Or you can have thick curly hair that is fine but the curls are not so loose, Cree Summer.

So I think that's why some of our hair is kinda confusing. Because we got different combination of textures and types and it makes it hard to determine what exactly our hair is based on the guide.

Because if that's the case, then my hair is 1a/2a/4a :lachen: