Please help me learn how to braid,twist, do bantu knots....

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I have been searching for an easy how to site to learn how do do braids, twists, and other styles. I have been unsuccessful and I'm a bit discouraged. There sre several ladies on this site who can braid. I have short hair, about 10", is it possible for me to learn how to braid and do these styles? I'm hoping to eventually be able to be natural, but I know I can't handle a small afro. I want to grow my hair out some and then cut it. Can someone give me any help on how to style short, texlaxed hair? I've got 1" of new growth since trying to relax my hair fully. That didn't work, so I think I'm going to try to stop running from my natural hair. Can someone give me tips on how to do mini braids and twists, or bantu knot sets? Any help you give will be appreciated or help to successfully transition from relaxing to going natural? The mtg oil has thickened my hair so much, that I don't think I can relax it successfully. That's probably the thing that will help me to be successful in my transition. PLease help me to help myself... I hope I'm making sense.... :lol:

DDTexlaxed

I think my hair is too short to do the styles on the motown girl site. Is there a site that shows people how to do mini braids or mini twists? My hair is short. :(

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Natrlchallenge said:
I think my hair is too short to do the styles on the motown girl site. Is there a site that shows people how to do mini braids or mini twists? My hair is short. :(
This site doesn't have pics but here's some instructions for hair that's...
at least half an inch long: http://www.naani.com/finger_twists.htm
at least 3 inches long: http://www.naani.com/two_strand_twists.htm

btw, didn't you say your hair is like 6-7 inches long? That's long enough to do twists and other styles! I wish I had your length, girl! ;)

Last edited:

Ashee

You can do twists with at least 3 inches of hair as well as cornrows...
You can also add extentions to help if you want... :look:

DDTexlaxed

I'm sorry. I don't think I posted this question right. The thing is, I'm a person who doesn't know how to braid or handle my natural hair. Can someone give me some braiding for dummy tips? :p My hair is growing nicely and if i can learn to do these styles, it may help me to be able to successfully transition to natural. I have texlaxed hair and it is super thick thanks to the stinky challenge and mtg. I've just added Eqyss products as well. PLease give this braid newby some braiding tips. I'm trying to grow my relaxer out some, so i don't have a twa. I was so traumatized when I b/ced 0n 1/8/05, I texturized my hair almost immediately. I want this time to be different and hopefully permanent. Please help me help myself. :(

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Natrlchallenge said:
I'm sorry. I don't think I posted this question right. The thing is, I'm a person who doesn't know how to braid or handle my natural hair. Can someone give me some braiding for dummy tips? :p My hair is growing nicely and if i can learn to do these styles, it may help me to be able to successfully transition to natural. I have texlaxed hair and it is super thick thanks to the stinky challenge and mtg. I've just added Eqyss products as well. PLease give this braid newby some braiding tips. I'm trying to grow my relaxer out some, so i don't have a twa. I was so traumatized when I b/ced 0n 1/8/05, I texturized my hair almost immediately. I want this time to be different and hopefully permanent. Please help me help myself. :(
Did you check out those websites???:confused: :confused: :confused:

Also, do u want individual braids, box braids, or cornrows? And how big do you want them?

DDTexlaxed

I was trying to learn how to do mini twists and other styles with short hair. I'm trying to learn how to handle my natural hair with a possible goal of transitioning. I find sometimes the info I get here is easier than the ones on different web siites. So far my efforts to braid or twists have been unsuccessful. :ohwell:

caligirl

To Braid: begin with a section of hair. Divide it into three strands. Cross the left strand over the middle then cross the right side over the middle. Continue alternating crossing either side over the middle strand until your braid is complete.

Now, can someone please tell me how to do flattwists?

Country gal

NC- thanks for starting this thread. I was going to do something similar. Check out the sites. It really is step by step. I am planning on twisting my hair so I don't have to pay $65 for it.

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Natrlchallenge, I know it's frustrating at first but I've been to those sites, especially motowngirl's and her instructions are great for the twists....they are as simple as you can get without someone in front of you showing you. It's how I learned how to do twists. It really does take practice though. They aren't going to look salon perfect on the first try but the more you do them, the better they will get. Now I don't know about the other instructions because I'm working on getting my twists right....lol

jainygirl

I've been cornrowing, finger coiling and doing twists since my hair was 3 inches and shorter (currently it's about 4 inches) so you can DEFINITELY achieve those styles on 10 inches of hair. I didnt know how to do any of these styles when i first chopped either. I learned how to cornrow by not looking at myself in the mirror after i made my part. Braiding by feel helped me learn how to cornrow.

Finger coils are an easy quick style, just grab a section of hair between your thumb and forefinger and keep twirling it aroung your forefinger until it forms a coil. Two strand twists just take a section of hair seperate it into to pieces and twine them around each other until you reach the end. For a twistout just undo your twists and voila :D.

I have pics of these styles in my album if you wanna check them out. I always do my styles without products because it's easier and my styles look better this way. HTH -- jainygirl

Last edited: