Please help me understand bunning!

Chameleonchick

Okay I know what bunning is but what is it really????? What is your bunning regimen? How often do you bun? What do you use to make the bun? Has this helped with your length? My thing is when I was in the military I guess I would sorta bun, but then I noticed that the part that was geting bunned was a little broken off, so if I ever return to it, I don't want that to happen again so I need some help! Thanks in advance!!!

Miamori

I bun almost daily. Unless it is the month of my relaxer I am almost always in a bun. Even when I do a braid out, I style it into a fancier, cuter bun.

I use pins most of the time. Not bobby pins, because they cause breakage for me, or hair pins, because that is too much struggle with not enough hold. I gather my hair and twist it up onto itself, and around itself to form a roll/bun, then pin it with the duck bill pins that have the gap, because they hold more hair more gently.

I see no breakage and this is personally better for my ends than a traditional bun.

It has helped with my length and thickness, and helped me learn to not try to beat my hair into submission, but let it do what it do and help it along the way.

I also moisturize and seal beforehand, and bun my hair while we or dry. If I want more curl in it, I let it airdry and then bun. If I am going to sleep, I bun wet. I used to take it down daily to remoisturize, but now I don't and haven't for months. My hair gets dryer, but no splits or other damage.

HTH

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
I wet or damp bun daily. Each day, I saturate my hair (especially my nape and ends) in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker, comb through and put it in a bun. When I bun, I don't use a ponytail holder, I just twist my hair at the base (where the ponytail holder would be) and twist the length of my hair. Then I coil the twisted ponytail around, tuck the ends under the bun and secure with a satin scrunchie. You can also use Good Day Hairpins. Here's what my daily bun looks like

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Forgot to add that wet bunning has helped trmendously in retaining all of the growth I got. i'm actually ahead of my schedule! :yep:

I haven't suffered breakage because every week or so, I move the bun to a different place. You never wanna keep your bun in the same spot for extended periods of time. The constant pressure and tension on that area weakens it, which causes breakage. HTH!

NAKISH66

Okay I know what bunning is but what is it really????? What is your bunning regimen? How often do you bun? What do you use to make the bun? Has this helped with your length? My thing is when I was in the military I guess I would sorta bun, but then I noticed that the part that was geting bunned was a little broken off, so if I ever return to it, I don't want that to happen again so I need some help! Thanks in advance!!!

I bun most of the time. I use two of those tiny butterfly clips that come in packs of 18-24 (got mine from walmart). I twist my hair around to form a bun and then clip in two places. I really don't like using ponytail holders. This is quick and easy and it works for me. I agree about moving the position of the bun to avoid breakage, and also not bunning to tight. HTH

Attachments

• HOME 2008 196.jpg
    HOME 2008 196.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 50
  • hair clips.jpg
    hair clips.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 47

bee

I wet or damp bun daily. Each day, I saturate my hair (especially my nape and ends) in Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker, comb through and put it in a bun. When I bun, I don't use a ponytail holder, I just twist my hair at the base (where the ponytail holder would be) and twist the length of my hair. Then I coil the twisted ponytail around, tuck the ends under the bun and secure with a satin scrunchie. You can also use Good Day Hairpins. Here's what my daily bun looks like

Tiffers, how is the 14 in 1 working for you? I just started using it but I've heard mixed reviews about it. I read that it has protein in it, well I've read in the ingredients that it does. Does it make your hair hard? How has does it benefit your hair?

Sunshyn3

I've been bunning for the marjority of my hair journey. I bun everyday now. I dont use anything extra other than a couple hair pins or a scrunchy. I use the same method as Tiffers (twisting my hair around at the base). It has really helped in protecting my ends. You don't have to trim that often.

hillytmj

I use pins most of the time. Not bobby pins, because they cause breakage for me, or hair pins, because that is too much struggle with not enough hold. I gather my hair and twist it up onto itself, and around itself to form a roll/bun, then pin it with the duck bill pins that have the gap, because they hold more hair more gently.

I see no breakage and this is personally better for my ends than a traditional bun.

HTH

What are duck bills? Do you mean the roller setting clips? I'm interested becasue I tried bunning once and HATED IT because of the hair pins. I felt they put undo stress on my ends. I didn't bun long enough to see if it weakened my ends, but I thought it might. I currently wear my hair up in a clip to keep it off my clothes, but the ends are still exposed.

I agree with the others. I don't use pins. I use the covered bands to secure the ponytail, then wrap my hair around my finger and secure with the same band. I don't make it tight either. I haven't had any breakage. I baggie at night, and take it down in the morning to bun. It's working so far.