Share Your BUNNING regimen!

Solitude

Please share your bunning regimen.

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair?
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning?
3. What type of leave-ins do you use?
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize?
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly?
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage?
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place?
8. Any other tips you'd like to add.

I'm trying to maximize my retention while bunning for the next four months or so. I'm familiar with Chicoro's Grow It! Method, which works well. I'd like to know what else you ladies are doing! Thanks in advance!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair?both
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning? air dry or roller set
3. What type of leave-ins do you use? air dry -- elasta qp h-two and NTM silk touch; rollerset - mane & tail detangler, design essentials h20, water, argan oil; bun -- scurl, HE LTR, argan oil and sometimes elasta qp mango butter
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? scurl, twice daily
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? down nightly
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? square dance with bun placement (move the bun around on head to a different place each day); apply oil to my ponytail holder made from a stocking; use silk scrunchie's
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? see #6 and goody spin pins or anything without teeth that tug at hair
8. Any other tips you'd like to add. HHG!

Toy

Bun on old Hair
Airdry

3. What type of leave-ins do you use? Wen Fig

Qhemet Root Burdock Butter,Qhemet Olive & Honey Balm,S-curl,Proline Softner Moisturizer
2-3 times a week.

I take my hair down Daily

Nothing

Goody no metal hair ties,goody Spin Pins,Hair Sticks

Keep the hair moisturized

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair? Both
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning?Sometimes I wet bun, sometimes on air dried hair. I never use heat (as of now)
3. What type of leave-ins do you use?Diluted Vo5 and evoo or AOHSR if I have to detangle
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? I only apply leave-ins on wash days which are 1-2 times a week depending on how I feel
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? I take my bun out nightly and braid 2 braids
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? Make sure my hair never gets dried out
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? Spin pins, elastic headbands, mini claw clips
8. Any other tips you'd like to add. Be sure to dress up your buns and move your bun/part around so yo won't get bored!

Last edited:

Solitude

Keep the regis coming, ladies! I'm so tired of doing my hair that I'm going to be bunning for a while! I also want to get to BSL by the end of the year and I'm sooo close!

NaturalBoss

Co-wash daily (however I might not do this once it starts getting colder outside)
Wet/damp bunning
Infusium or Jane Carter (but I don't use either daily, only when I remember)
Long Aid Curl Activator and S-Curl No Drip
I sleep in it and then take it down in the morning to co-wash
Nothing really, but I only comb my hair when it's drenched in conditioner and I only brush the edges when putting it in a bun
I use rubber bands :blush:
MOISTURIZE
My routine works for me, but I do not recommend using rubber bands. If you do use rubber bands, always cut them out of your hair (be careful) instead of pulling them off.

lilsparkle825

**I usually cowash and wet bun on unstretched hair, but if my hair is stretched via flat ironing or blowdrying, I bun on "old" hair. Sometimes when I am lazy, I wet bun on old hair by rewetting via a spray bottle and adding more leave-in.
**I usually wet/damp bun. I cowash, leave a t-shirt on my hair to soak up some of the water so my hair is not too fragile, then add my leave-in and bun.
**most often, Kimmaytube's leave-in. Sometimes I just use Giovanni Direct and seal it with whatever oil is in front of me -- EVOO, EVCO, castor, sweet almond, avocado, etc.
**my cowash conditioner (TJs Nourish Spa right now) is my moisturizer. In the summer, I cowash everyday pretty much.
**I take it down nightly.
**If I notice any breakage of my ends, I spray my ends with Aphogee Green Tea + Keratin before bunning. Stops it in its tracks.
**usually ouchless bands, but I also have Good Hair Day pins.
**I have heard great things about sealing the ends with Vaseline or a heavy grease. I myself will probably start doing this come the fall/winter.

cch24

- I cowash my hair every morning with Tresemme Naturals Conditioner.
- I'm damp bunning. I use a Turbie Twist to get some of the extra water out of my hair.
- I apply Kinky Curly Knot Today and Mozeke Avocado Cream to my hair before I bun.
- I consider both of my leave in's moisturizers, so I guess every morning.
- At night I take my hair down, spritz it with water, and apply coconut oil.
- I do a protein treatment every Friday since I cowash with a moisturizing conditioner every day.
- I use a ponytail holder made from pantyhose and hair pins (as opposed to bobby pins)
- I've started sealing my ends morning and night with JBCO pomade. It's a recent addition to my regimen, but I hope that it will help!

Quailbird

I'm starting a bunning regimen as well for some time. I'm trying to reach waistlength by December and I'm just about there. Even though I just started, I'll answer your question based n what I am and plan to do.
1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair? I wash and condition and then braid and will bun on braidout hair for the week.
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning? Airdry hair. I won't be using heat until December for my length check.
3. What type of leave-ins do you use? I use kimmaytube's leave in with Giovanni instead of Kinky Kurly
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? I moisturize as needed with water and my leave in
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? I take the bun out nightly and braid my hair in two.
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? Make sure my hair stays moisturized, do loose buns (I have sensitive edges), and not putting the bun in the same spot.

brucebettye

Yes

I damp bun my hair and let it dry that way.

GVP The conditioner

Scurl and Carefree curl Gold

I keep my hair in a bun until I wash and deep condition it.

I make sure my bun is not tight, I use satin or ouchless ponytail holders. I soak my ponytail holders in olive oil. I always make sure I use something to moisturize my hair before I apply my hair gel

satin or ouchless ponytail holders

Bunning is a very easy hair style and can be classy with some flowers or accessories. Also since my bun is small I cover it up with a phony ponytail to make my hair look nicer.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Both

Airdry

Spray leave-ins. Bunning is easiest on slightly damp hair. S-curl & Taliah Waajid mist

Elasta QP mango butter/ HE LTR. I moisturize daily.

I dont take it down completely, I make it very loose and put on a satin bonnet at night.

Mild/medium protein every wash followed by a mositure DC, ceramides, keep porosity in check.

Scrunchies made from pantyhose, they don't cause breakage (I got this from Chicoro) and Goody snap clips for the short pieces.

8. Any other tips you'd like to add

Try not to put the bun in the same place daily, and keep it kinda loose to avoid tension on your edges.

D.Lisha

I bun on "old" hair until it's time for my weekly wash day :yep:

I strictly airdry, no heat.

Elasta QP Mango Butter, Care-Free Curl (for now)

Well, my leave-ins serves for both "leave-in" and "moisturize" purposes :yep: (see question 3)

I take my bun down nightly to let my hair "breathe"

I move my bun around, and I also take garlic supplements to combat shedding/breakage

Just a simple goody scrunchie, nothing fancy at all :nono:

None that I can think of at the moment :scratchch:

rockstar

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair? Both
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning? Wet/Damp
3. What type of leave-ins do you use? Giovanni, KBB Hair Milk, JC Nourish & Shine, HE LTR, Hawaiian Silky, MJ Baby Buttercreme. I change allllllll the time & I seal.
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? See above.
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? Let it down nightly.
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? I make sure my ends are protected.
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? Black ouchless hair bands.
8. Any other tips you'd like to add. I also wash my hair every week & cowash midweek. Every day I dampen my hair with either a spray bottle, or it's wet from wash/cowashing. I also use Eco Styler olive oil gel on my edges.

fivetimestwo

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair? I wash and condition on the first day but I bun on "old" hair for the next two days or so
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning? I always air dry first. I haven't mastered the art of wet bunning :sad:
3. What type of leave-ins do you use? I use NTM split end mender or Cantu Shea butter sealed w/ oil
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? I spray w/ braid spray and seal w/ oil usually every night or in the morning to get my hair kind of damp.
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? I usually take it down at night, braid in one big braid, pin it up and then put on my scarf.
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? I try to switch up the position of the bun (low, high, side etc.). I also am very careful when taking my bun down.
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? I usually use an ouchless band combined w/ good days hair pins to make a messy bun. I very rarely use clips.

HappilyLiberal

My hair is just hitting shoulder length so I use phony buns.

(1) I wash, condition, and rollerset my hair twice a week.

(2) I rollerset my dry hair everynight (I put some moisturizer on my hair before I rollerset and I put my growth aid on my scalp as I am rollersetting).

(3) In the morning I take my hair down, pull my hair into an ouchless ponytail holder, put moisturizer on the length of my ponytail, cover the ponytail with a plastic cap, and put the phony bun on top of the plastic cap.

During week 1-6 of my stretch I usually wear my hair down on weekends. After week 6, may hair stays in the bun 7 days a week.

janda

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair? I usually co-wash daily and then bun. Occasionally I'll bun on "old" hair and use Bee Mine Juicy to wet it.
2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning? Damp bunning.
3. What type of leave-ins do you use? Conditioner (usually Wen) with Aloe Vera Juice, then seal with a little coconut oil.
4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize? see above
5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? I take it down every evening to let my hair dry.
6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? Making sure my hair is moisturized and move around the position of my bun.
7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? Scrunchi seemless hair ties.
8. Any other tips you'd like to add. I bun under a phony pony. I wrap hair around my own pony and then bun.

Missjae09

Great thread ladies!!! I can't wait until I have enough length to add to this thread but until then I'm taking notes from you ladies and storing them away for later use!

Mz*MiMi

[USER]

Sometimes if I'm being lazy, but I mostly cowash daily

I usually wet bun but I sometimes airdry

Ntm leave in, trader joes nourish spa, or my shea butter mix

I use creamy moisturizers but I also use my mix of water, aloe vera juice, and olive oil

I take it down every night and redo after cowashing in the morning

I just make sure that I throughly detangle in the shower and make sure to keep my hair moisturized.

Goodie ouchless bands

Moisture moisture moisutre

I'm trying to maximize my retention while bunning for the next four months or so. I'm familiar with Chicoro's Grow It! Method, which works well. I'd like to know what else you ladies are doing! Thanks in advance!
[/USER]

Answers above

janeemat

1. Do you wash and condition or bun on "old" hair?Bun on old hair from a rollerset.2. Do you airdry or use heat first? Or are you "wet/damp" bunning?I never wet bun.3. What type of leave-ins do you use?Lacio Lacio, Rusk Smoother and Mizani thermal smooth4. What type of moisturizer do you use & how often do you moisturize?FF glossing cream twice daily on ends and edges. Vatika coconut oil on ends twice daily. Ojon Revitalizing Mist for slicker buns.5. Do you keep your bun up for days/weeks, or do you let it down nightly? Take down at night to moisturize.6. What steps do you take to avoid breakage? Not combing and keeping ends moisturized.7. What types of ties and clips are you using to hold you bun in place? Good day hair pins.8. Any other tips you'd like to add.Keep hair moisturized and avoid excessive combing.