The Rules Of Wet Bunning

CocoGlow

Do any NATURAL 4B's ever wear wet buns? If so, I'd love to see pics!! :yep:

I cannot picture it for MY hair .. I mean "slicking" my WET hair into a bun sounds impossible but I'd love to be proven wrong & inspired by some pics and some detailed instructions ....

Last edited:

glamazon386

Do you ladies put something on the ends then bun your hair? No

Do you naturals suffer from SSKs from wet bunning? No

Has this helped retain length? Yes

Do you wet bun in the shower or not? No. I need to look in the mirror.

Is your hair soaking wet when you bun? Sometimes. It stays slicked down better when wet but sometimes I make a bun from another style so it may be dry. The gel kind of wets it so I can pull it back. If that makes sense.

Fine 4s

NikStar,

How did you get that look in your siggy? I love the lose kinks.

I forgot all about wet bunning. I did this a few times a year at the begining of my HHJ and for some reason, it got lost in my hair style repertoire. I might do this this weekend!

Thanks for the reminder.

I thoroughly detangle in the shower and apply a moisturizer while wet in the shower. Still in the shower, I'll untwist or unbraid the sections and gather them in a bun. If it's too lumply, I'll use my Denman boar bristle brush to lay it down and apply shea butter on the surface of my hair to catch any fly aways and tie down with a scarf. For more hold, I'll apply some IC Sparklelite on the edges and the surface.

Last edited:

Fine 4s

Now you KNOW you gotta break this one down for me.
Was it partially dried in a bun before you braided it in preparation for the braid out? So not done on really damp hair.

RosesBlack

I learned yesterday that if I don't put a scarf on my head at least for awhile as my hair dries it will fluff right out of the bun and look like a hot mess. By the time I got home from work my hair was wilding out.

NaturalBoss

So do you guys rewet your bun everyday? What do you do with your hair at night?

I co-wash almost everyday. But when I don't I re-wet my hair just by using a spray bottle. I don't get it soaked, but my hair just lays down better when it's wet. I tie my hair up with a satin scarf at night, then I put a satin cap over it and I have a satin pillow case. I toss and turn a lot so I want to make sure everything is satin :yep:

aileendq

Do you ladies put something on the ends then bun your hair?

A: I use a leave in (lots of it) and oil my ends before I bun w/ Spin Pins.

Do you naturals suffer from SSKs from wet bunning?

N/A

Has this helped retain length?

A: I think so- haven't been doing it for too long. But it has helped me cut down on heat (blowdrying/flatironing) AND it helps me keep cool! :)

Do you wet bun in the shower or not?

A:No. I put my hair up in a towel to absorb excess water first.

Is your hair soaking wet when you bun?

A: See above

Solitude

Great thread!!! I love to wet bun in the summer....

I put my leave-in conditioner in my hair (entire head) and more moisturizer on my ends (currently UFD Supercurl). I also put something on my edges to help slick them down before putting on my scarf.

N/A

Yes. I wasn't that into wet bunning until last summer when I saw excellent results. I think it's a combination of no heat & moisture.

No. I wait until I get out so I can add my leave-ins.

Depends. If my hair is co-operating meaning, it feels moisturized and has slip, I can let it air dry a little after adding my leave-ins, and then put it in a bun while damp. Usually, it's about 50% dry. I usually add the leave-ins, then bun immediately. The hair dries some after getting out of the shower, but I don't use a towel or anything to dry it. I just ring out the excess moisture....I hope that makes sense.

Bublin

Great thread.

Couple of questions..............

1) My hair is a lot shorter at the front of my head so won't go into a bun and when i gel it and tie it down with a scarf it looks a frizzy mess 3 hours later. I was wearing headbands but they were breaking my hairline and i looked like a big kid. Hairbands just don't suit me:nono:. Any styling suggestions? Pics would be great.

2) How exactly are you making the bun so the ends are protected. I only know to pull it halfway through the band and then tuck away the ends. This however makes my ends rough. I'd like to style the bun so the ends are smooth.

Oh, Once i put a satin roller on the end of my ponytail and rolled it up. I then put a scrunchie over the top. At the end of the day my ends were nice and smooth. This made my bun look a little bigger as my hair is just below shoulder length right now.

Miss*Tress

2) How exactly are you making the bun so the ends are protected. I only know to pull it halfway through the band and then tuck away the ends. This however makes my ends rough. I'd like to style the bun so the ends are smooth.

Oh, Once i put a satin roller on the end of my ponytail and rolled it up. I then put a scrunchie over the top. At the end of the day my ends were nice and smooth. This made my bun look a little bigger as my hair is just below shoulder length right now.
I roll my ponytail under like a big pincurl, then fix it with one or two bobby pins. The idea of using the satin roller sounds good. I might try that.

brucebettye

I put carefree curl then seal with vasoline or hair grease

I am texlaxed, but I don't have ssks when I wet bun

Yes Yes Yes. I have seen great retaining of length in a short period of time.

No.

It is better when I damp bun, my wet hair seems too fragile to handle being in a bun.

RosesBlack

Great thread.

Couple of questions..............

1) My hair is a lot shorter at the front of my head so won't go into a bun and when i gel it and tie it down with a scarf it looks a frizzy mess 3 hours later. I was wearing headbands but they were breaking my hairline and i looked like a big kid. Hairbands just don't suit me:nono:. Any styling suggestions? Pics would be great.

Have you tried doing a side part? For awhile I had some breakage in front and just did side parted buns and held most of the broken hair with the longer hair until it caught up. Also if that's not going to work try those huge curved roller pins. They are smooth unlike regular bobby pins.

Some days after I oil my ends I just tuck them under gently and put an oiled elastic around it with just enough tension to hold my bun in place but not to pull my hair.

When my hair was shorter I used ribbon. It takes some practice but you make your bun, hold it with one hand and hold the end of the ribbon under your fingers, wrap it around and tuck in the other end. I used black ribbon so it wouldn't show being wet when I wet bun.
[/quote]

That's a really good idea. You could also use a donut or sock bun and wrap that with a cheap satin do rag and have the same effect. You can do that on dry bun days as well.

HTH

shai_butta

Coconut oil

Relaxed

I just started but I'm really liking the reduction in heat and manipulation

Nah

I think my hair breaks more when wet so I dry it with a turbie twist on backwards. There's a forum member w a website and vid that shows how to do this (it escapes me at the moment tho, sorry) but its great at smoothing my NG down flat while it dries. Then when it's 70% dry I slick it back and bun it.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Right now, I've been using S-Curl No Drip Formula. I sometimes coat my ends with Aussie Moist Conditioner or Hot 6 Oil.

I'm starting to feel like single strand knots are inevitable no matter what I do with my hair. I think SSKs are caused from manipulating our natural curl/coil pattern into any type of style.

I believe so.

In the past, I've done wet bunning in the shower. Now, I just spray my hair with S-Curl to get it wet and then bun it.

Only if I wet bun in the shower.

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
I've been wet bunning a lot lately, and I will continue to do so for the remainder of the summer...and probably after that too :lol: It's just so convenient.

I'll wash (or co-wash) in the shower, gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, squeeze out excess water, apply a leave-in (usually regular conditioner), seal with an oil (or butter) and twist it into a bun. I secure with a Goody Spin Pin. I used to use Good-Day Hair Pins, but after discovering the spin pins, I haven't gone back.

To keep my hair smooth at the top, most times I'll add some Eco Styler Gel (the brown) which has a softer, level 7 hold. When creating the wet bun, I don't use a brush; I smooth with my hands.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
This is my 2nd year of wet bunning. I slick it back into a bun with my fingers after co-washing which I do about 4 times a week. I have a few SSK's...for a leave-in I use Elucence MB then I smooth in some CFCG. To slick down my edges I use Long Aid Curl Activator Gel. I'm definitely retaining length...wet bunning will be my style til I reach MBL at the minimum.

MsLizziA

This is my 2nd year of wet bunning. I slick it back into a bun with my fingers after co-washing which I do about 4 times a week. I have a few SSK's...for a leave-in I use Elucence MB then I smooth in some CFCG. To slick down my edges I use Long Aid Curl Activator Gel. I'm definitely retaining length...wet bunning will be my style til I reach MBL at the minimum.
Wen im able to wet bun, i plan on doing it 5 days a week and letting my hair out on the weekend