Please help me with moisture retention

fluffyforever

fluffyforever what sulfate free shampoos do you recommend?

It seems like my medicated shampoo leaves my hair softer than some of the sulfate free shampoos I've used.

Sent from my PC36100

I've tried the Shea Moisture's Coconut and Hibiscus shampoo (pinkish bottle), Shea Moisture Moisture Retention shampoo (tan bottle), and Elasta QP creme shampoo. All of them are good for me. The SM shampoos leave my hair really soft and clean.

lucy

It's a phase your fro will grow out of, OP. Until then, I would find a moisture-packed dc (my faves are oyin's honey hemp and tiiva naturals coffee-something) and use that regularly. A steamer is a great investment, if you have the money. Also, start reading the ingredients and you'll start to see a pattern of what your hair likes and doesn't like.

Before you go buying all sorts of products, try those few basic ingredients that most of us try when we first go natural: butters and oils. Try sealing your wet hair with a shea butter mix. My hair loves my creamy shea mix. :yep: When I first went natural, avocado butter was my baby daddy! I'll see if I have any left when I go home and I can send you some, if you like.

If you're not a mixtress, Hairtage Hydration and Saravun (both on etsy) have simple butter + oil moisturizers at really good prices. For my hair, water really is the best moisturizer and I just had to learn how to 'use' it and seal it properly.

HTH. :)

Thank you so much for even offering. Im definitely gonna try out your baby daddy. Lol

lucy

Hi again ladies, I wanted to share with you what i did today.

I pre poo'd with an oil mix, consisting if olive/jbco/coconut/argan oils.
Shampoo'd with Shea Moisture moisture retention shampoo.
DC'd with Shea Moisture purifying mask mixed with a tiny bit of castor oil.
Dabbed with a t shirt, and added a leave in mix (a lil Giovanni direct/jbco/glycerine/ and mostly water)
Then I used some coconut oil to seal
To end off I used Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie

My hair hasn't fully dried yet so I can't say for sure, but it already feels different to me. I am loving this LOC already. I know I have a long way to go, but the dried parts definitely don't feel as rough. I am so excited. I love y'all. :)

lucy

It's the next day, and my hair is so much softer. I can only imagine after a few times. LOC definitely works.

Do I repeat the whole LOC daily, or only on wash days? Should I just spritz everyday? I will probably spritz in the am, and baggy overnight.

Inspiired

Where do you find these products? And what is ghe?

This is GHE babe http://bootyfurl.blogspot.com/2012/01/green-house-effect-ghe.html :)

It's the next day, and my hair is so much softer. I can only imagine after a few times. LOC definitely works.

Do I repeat the whole LOC daily, or only on wash days? Should I just spritz everyday? I will probably spritz in the am, and baggy overnight.

I'm so glad and happy for you that your hair feels softer! You can try LOC daily and see how that goes, you may find that you just need to every few days!

miss cosmic

The LOC method (liquid, oil, cream) is what saved my dry thirsty hair. First, I mist my hair with water. I don't use enough to make it dripping wet, just enough to get it moist; then I add castor oil. I've tried different oils, but castor oil helps my hair hold in the most moisture. For the cream, I've been using Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion. The result is shiny moisturized hair that lasts. Hope this helps :)

I'd never heard of the LOC method, ever. I admit i was skeptical esp. since i didn't (and still don't) know what cream meant.
Anyway i tried it yesterday cos my hair could still do with better retention.
I misted with glycerin/water as usual and baggied overnight. In the morning i sealed with grapeseed oil and then applied CW hair healer over that. Dont know if that qualifies as cream. :look:

usually my hair is dry again by evening but i thought that was normal especially since it's not so brittle.
Today though it was definitely much much softer and felt more like soft 4a than extra-kinky 4zzz.

I cant wait to see how the LOC method works on hair in an afro.

This method is definitely a keeper. Still need to understand what cream means and why the method works so well.

Sent from my GT-I5500

SmilingElephant

When i BC'd my hair felt like a dry forest and if i lit a match i would be:burning:......:grin:

So i just buckled down and bout the Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix and i used it every week....it helped being out my curls and provided lots of moisture....i was even DC'ing overnite with it...and i LOVE how it smells:lick:

My sister hipped me to trying moisturizer on dry hair too...although i prefer spritzing with water now, first...and then the moisturizer and then the oil....but it helped in the beginning:yep:

Another thing was that i tried the curly girl method...strictly...for like 3 months and that helped BIG time! It really helped retain moisture....now i'm a modified CG....my hair doesn't like too many cones....i think eventually i'll go back to being strict about it bc it really kept my hair moisturized:yep:

lucy

I'd never heard of the LOC method, ever. I admit i was skeptical esp. since i didn't (and still don't) know what cream meant.
Anyway i tried it yesterday cos my hair could still do with better retention.
I misted with glycerin/water as usual and baggied overnight. In the morning i sealed with grapeseed oil and then applied CW hair healer over that. Dont know if that qualifies as cream. :look:

usually my hair is dry again by evening but i thought that was normal especially since it's not so brittle.
Today though it was definitely much much softer and felt more like soft 4a than extra-kinky 4zzz.

I cant wait to see how the LOC method works on hair in an afro.

This method is definitely a keeper. Still need to understand what cream means and why the method works so well.

Sent from my GT-I5500

I am so glad that I can help others as well. :) I am not a soft 4A, but definitely not the straw rug that I was last week.