Please Help! what's your method on......

growinstrong

detangling and avoiding breakage. Ladies, I just washed my hair yesterday and noticed a lot of breakage. I believe my moisture/protein balance is correct and the problem is that I dont know the proper way to detangle my hair. Any suggestions? I dont wanna suffer from thinner hair due to the fact that I'm detangling improperly.

Dposh167

1)before I leave the shower I always detangle my hair under running water. that helps sometimes

2)if that doesn't do it i have this domican rinse called laifer honey and almond rinse. If my hair is still a tangled mess before I leave the shower, I just slap some of this on, leave on for about 1 min, rinse and detangle.

3)now if that doesn't work, i usually put oil on my shower comb and start to detangle my hair. the oil on the comb kinda helps the comb glide smoother.

Jade Feria

Co-washing usually helps me with this. I only detangle while in the shower, so I use a conditioner that gives me good slip, like Dove Moisturizing, NTM Deep Recovery Mask, or Silicon Mix, leave it in my hair for a few minutes, and gently comb out with a shower comb. I never comb out if my hair doesn't have slip. I also have a filter on my shower head, and this helped TREMENDOUSLY. Hard water can make the tangles worse.

When I'm done, I apply my leave-in (usually Giovanni) and I air dry. I don't touch it until it's dry. If I'm going to sleep, I might put it in a loose ponytail and put on my satin bonnet, and it's dry in the morning. When it's dry, I have no tangles, and I can easily run my fingers through my new growth. I then moisturize and seal.

Edit: I live in FL, so a water filter is just about REQUIRED...here's a map of water hardness by state: http://www.systemsaver.com/morton-website/education/water-facts/common-water-problems.html

Last edited:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
I'm assuming you know this, but just in case:

Wash your hair in the shower

Don't ball your hair up on top of your head to wash it, shampoo it while it's hanging straight down. Bring it over your shoulder to reach all of it.

Many of us use a shower comb and comb through under running water during/after rinsing the conditioner.

For me--leaving the hair sopping wet helps a lot. I don't towel dry or squeeze water out of my hair at all after the final rinse. Then I do a good detangle in sections and combing from the ends up. It doesn't take long because of detangling under the shower head with the shower comb.

Jade Feria

I'm assuming you know this, but just in case:

Wash your hair in the shower

Don't ball your hair up on top of your head to wash it, shampoo it while it's hanging straight down. Bring it over your shoulder to reach all of it.

Many of us use a shower comb and comb through under running water during/after rinsing the conditioner.

For me--leaving the hair sopping wet helps a lot. I don't towel dry or squeeze water out of my hair at all after the final rinse. Then I do a good detangle in sections and combing from the ends up. It doesn't take long because of detangling under the shower head with the shower comb.
Me neither

PrettyBlackHair

Co-washing usually helps me with this. I only detangle while in the shower, so I use a conditioner that gives me good slip, like Dove Moisturizing, NTM Deep Recovery Mask, or Silicon Mix, leave it in my hair for a few minutes, and gently comb out with a shower comb. I never comb out if my hair doesn't have slip. I also have a filter on my shower head, and this helped TREMENDOUSLY. Hard water can make the tangles worse.

When I'm done, I apply my leave-in (usually Giovanni) and I air dry. I don't touch it until it's dry. If I'm going to sleep, I might put it in a loose ponytail and put on my satin bonnet, and it's dry in the morning. When it's dry, I have no tangles, and I can easily run my fingers through my new growth. I then moisturize and seal.

I 100% agree with the shower filter. My hair always feels ten times better when I wash with this at home tha when I have to use the hard water in my dorm. Hard water can really take a toll on your hair. I would strongly suggest investing in a shower filter, and they are not that expensive-mine was about $60 or $70.

sareca

Oil rinsing then detangling while the conditioner is still on my hair using Robin's method. There's no way I could do a low manipulation regimen without some serious detangling skills. :yep:

Angelicus

Well, your hair is getting longer! Wow! Do you detangle your hair or section it off before washing?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I have been confused. I read that we should detangle under running water, but doesn't that just rinse out all of the slippy conditioner? Are we detangling with just water then? I thought detangling should happen with slippy con in the hair. Help me!!

growinstrong

Well, I have my stylist to thank for taking care of my hair the past couple of years, but that was a couple of years of staying in the salon for 5+ hours for a wash and roller set, waiting 30-45 minutes after her being late for my appointment and I've also had some thinning due to her raking through my hair. For those reasons, I'm trying to be a DYIer for the 08'. To answer your question, I do detangle my hair before washing, but I do not section it off. I just wash it with my head hanging back in the shower. Maybe I should try that. Do you clip it or braid it? How many sections is best?

Well, your hair is getting longer! Wow! Do you detangle your hair or section it off before washing?

silverlotus

1)before I leave the shower I always detangle my hair under running water. that helps sometimes

2)if that doesn't do it i have this domican rinse called laifer honey and almond rinse. If my hair is still a tangled mess before I leave the shower, I just slap some of this on, leave on for about 1 min, rinse and detangle.

3)now if that doesn't work, i usually put oil on my shower comb and start to detangle my hair. the oil on the comb kinda helps the comb glide smoother.

1) and 2) are good suggestions & work for me. ACV rinses or Porosity Control are also good for tangles.

wheezy807

I have been confused. I read that we should detangle under running water, but doesn't that just rinse out all of the slippy conditioner? Are we detangling with just water then? I thought detangling should happen with slippy con in the hair. Help me!!
I think it's meant by allowing the flow of the water help with the detangling process. Some detangle while rinsing the conditioner out. Some rinse the conditioner out and then detangle. Too each it's own. HTH.

Cichelle

I use a seamless comb and STOP when I meet resistance. I then use a gentle pull apart method. That is to say, I use my fingers to gently and slowly pull hairs apart instead of trying to pull down through the tangles. I do this with a lot of conditioner and/or oil in my hair. Sometimes if I tilt my head so that my hair is hanging down away from my body and shake the hair gently, it might will clear anything simple and make the more difficult tangles easier to work through.

If I have gone a couple days without cowashing/detangling, this process can take time. I try never to detangle when I'm tired or in a hurry. I also make sure to hold my comb very lightly. I find that if I grip my comb tightly, I am more inclined to force through tangles.

favorc

Like some of the other ladies said get a shower filter. That has helped me out sooo much. i use to be the queen of knots and tangles but this is what i did:

got a shower filter

wash hair in four braids

do a final cold rinse

let my hair dry just a little and apply me giovanni direct in

then i spary my chilled pantene setting lotion on my hair or ic fantasia leave in (i puts it in the frige so it can get cold)

use a wide tooth comb to comb out and be gentle.

through out the week i finger comb so that the hair won't get tangled or anything. also moisturize everyday or every other day and seal with oil. i use silk elements and i seal with jojoba oil and grapeseed oil.

Maybe you could try organic products. most of my products are organinc and some aren't. Just find what works for you.

also clarify your hair every once in a while becasue product build up can cause breakage. I like to do AVC rinses once a month

space out relaxers and don't do the bone straight thing and put that vasleine all over your hair so that it over process. only put relaxer on ng.

use little heat. if you use heat make sure u are using heat protectant.

if you lay your head down anytime of the day, make sure you have on a silk or satin scarf.

no tight buns and do daily messages with an a with oil. my favorite is pepermint, jojoba and vit e, and rosemary oil. Sometimes i will add a smidgett of tea tree oil to kill the bacteria that likes to run around on our head. when i say a smidgett i mean like 2 drops.

hope that helps.

growinstrong

thanks for all the helpful tips. I bought my water filter today and for the past 2 weeks, I have been following an ayurvedic regimen. Hope this filter helps

Like some of the other ladies said get a shower filter. That has helped me out sooo much. i use to be the queen of knots and tangles but this is what i did:

got a shower filter

wash hair in four braids

do a final cold rinse

let my hair dry just a little and apply me giovanni direct in

then i spary my chilled pantene setting lotion on my hair or ic fantasia leave in (i puts it in the frige so it can get cold)

use a wide tooth comb to comb out and be gentle.

through out the week i finger comb so that the hair won't get tangled or anything. also moisturize everyday or every other day and seal with oil. i use silk elements and i seal with jojoba oil and grapeseed oil.

Maybe you could try organic products. most of my products are organinc and some aren't. Just find what works for you.

also clarify your hair every once in a while becasue product build up can cause breakage. I like to do AVC rinses once a month

space out relaxers and don't do the bone straight thing and put that vasleine all over your hair so that it over process. only put relaxer on ng.

use little heat. if you use heat make sure u are using heat protectant.

if you lay your head down anytime of the day, make sure you have on a silk or satin scarf.

no tight buns and do daily messages with an a with oil. my favorite is pepermint, jojoba and vit e, and rosemary oil. Sometimes i will add a smidgett of tea tree oil to kill the bacteria that likes to run around on our head. when i say a smidgett i mean like 2 drops.

hope that helps.