Please post the dumbest thing hairdressers have said to you here

Oh, I've got some....
A hairdresser that I went to once said to hold your leg up in the air while the relaxer was burning the scalp to decrease the pain.
She also "scolded" me once for turning the dryer to a lower setting b/c it was too hot for me :(
As if all of that wasn't enough, I finally left her when my hair started breaking off and I asked her why did she think so, and she said "maybe it's b/c I'm scratching your scalp when I wash your hair" :eek:

SweetCaramel1

my comment is not as bad as yours but the last time i went to a stylists i hadn't relaxed in awhile. and she said "she's making me pull out the pressing comb" :mad:

balisi

:eek: It's downright scary what some stylists believe, practice and advise.

I once went to my stylist for an updo. I wanted the least amount of heat on my hair, so I asked him to wet wrap my hair and put me under the dryer. He didn't want to do it, but I wasn't about to let him blowfry my hair. After being under the dryer for an hour and a half, my hair was still very damp, and I'd had enough of it, so I finally agreed to let him blowfry the dampness out. My hair was relaxed at the time and he then used a hotcomb on the new growth. His next step was to marcel my hair. When I questioned him about his use of all that heat, his reply was that he was "thermally styling" my hair. He went on to advise me that he had been doing hair for 12 years. WTF? Did he not think that I knew that thermal = heat??? Further, his 12 years of doing hair was no match for the 30+ years I had lived with my hair. After I thought about it, I believe he had that hood dryer on medium or low to discourage me. Do I need to tell you that I did not return to him after that?

FIRESTARTER

.........The only way the relaxer will work is if you sit under the dryer for 15 min.:lol: I almost laughed in that Lady's face.

But then I thought :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG! Some people actually let her do that to them. Never Again :nono:
I wont let nobody do my hair that don't have no hair.

balisi

I once overheard a student stylist tell her customer that the burn of the relaxer meant it was working. :eek:

Eiano

^^^Stylists always say that.
My mom used to say that it was cooking.. lmao

But the one stylist told me that she had to clip my dead ends. The ends weren't dead... well they were... because all of your hair is dead!! But what she meant was that my hair was uneven and some strands fell longer than others. I was like... in May chic, in May.

Oh, I just remembered the stylist who said that your hair and nails grow after you die. And, many people actually believe this myth. It doesn't. The skin shrinks away from the periphery after death, giving the illusion of growth, but no hair and nails don't grow on dead people! :lol:

PinkPeony

Well before I came to the boards I knew NOTHING about haircare so I went asked my stylist for advice.
I asked her if Iam supposed to wear a satincap or durag at night for protection and she just laughed and said NO:eek: .
Of course I should have been alarmed by the fact that she always wore fake hair:ohwell:

MickMick

I was told that the monthly relaxers weren't breaking my hair off. The reason why my hair was breaking off is because my scalp was dry. If I used my dermatologist recommended Nizoral, my hair would stop breaking. :mad:

Synthia

Eiano said:
^^^Stylists always say that.
My mom used to say that it was cooking.. lmao

But the one stylist told me that she had to clip my dead ends. The ends weren't dead... well they were... because all of your hair is dead!! But what she meant was that my hair was uneven and some strands fell longer than others. I was like... in May chic, in May.

Off topic: I know people say this and I read that black hair care book where the writer emphasizes this. But I don't get it -- the hair grows so it's not dead, to me. I don't know any dead things that grow. Why do people say the hair is dead? It's still soaking up nutrients and growing like alive things do.

I know in the hair care book, the writer said if the hair was alive, we could feel when we cut it ..which doesn't make sense because things can be alive and not have nervous systems to feel :ohwell:.

Englighten me please. I secretly consider the hair dead when it reaches the "resting phase" (last stage of growth) and then falls out.

nicki6

I can't believe that no one has quoted the ALL TIME dumbest......."If I don't cut your ends, your hair won't grow":sekret:

atlien11

i had a hair dresser tell me that the razor he was using on my ends was actually going to help my then split ends. Thats when the 'feathering with a razor blade technique' was a stylist craze. Friction on your ends with a razor blade...not a good idea. I cant believe i actually thought he was right :ohwell:

SohoHair

Synthia said:
Off topic: I know people say this and I read that black hair care book where the writer emphasizes this. But I don't get it -- the hair grows so it's not dead, to me. I don't know any dead things that grow. Why do people say the hair is dead? It's still soaking up nutrients and growing like alive things do.

I know in the hair care book, the writer said if the hair was alive, we could feel when we cut it ..which doesn't make sense because things can be alive and not have nervous systems to feel :ohwell:.

Englighten me please. I secretly consider the hair dead when it reaches the "resting phase" (last stage of growth) and then falls out.

While the hair follicles in your scalp are very much alive, the lengths of your hair are not alive at all. Yes there can be living creatures without nervous systems but that is not the case for human beings. In a healthy human being with a properly functioning nervous system the only part of the body that should have zero sensitivity are the lengths of your hair and nails. Nails work the same way as hair, the nail bed, where your nail is actively growing out of alive and therefore sensitive, that's why it's so painful if you cut your nails too short or rip off your ENTIRE nails. Same thing with your hair, you can feel it being pulled out of your scalp, but not when it's cut.

brooklyngal73

SteelyDan/DonaldFagenFan!
That is really scary. Imagine how many women have left that stylist's chair with damaged to the max hair! :mad:

How do some people get their licenses? :eek:

MissTrina said:
.........The only way the relaxer will work is if you sit under the dryer for 15 min.:lol: I almost laughed in that Lady's face.

But then I thought :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG! Some people actually let her do that to them. Never Again :nono:
I wont let nobody do my hair that don't have no hair.

Synthia

SohoHair said:
While the hair follicles in your scalp are very much alive, the lengths of your hair are not alive at all. Yes there can be living creatures without nervous systems but that is not the case for human beings. In a healthy human being with a properly functioning nervous system the only part of the body that should have zero sensitivity are the lengths of your hair and nails. Nails work the same way as hair, the nail bed, where your nail is actively growing out of alive and therefore sensitive, that's why it's so painful if you cut your nails too short or rip off your ENTIRE nails. Same thing with your hair, you can feel it being pulled out of your scalp, but not when it's cut.

LOL. I know human beings have nervous systems :). Just because the hair has no nerves doesn't mean its dead. The sensitivity argument and the nail attached at the bed info thrown in has nothing to do with proof that the hair/nails are alive or dead.

But people can say/believe according to their theories.

I know my view is unpopular. But if the hair stand is attached at the root and the root is soaking up nutrients and the hair is subsequently growing...then it's alive to me. To say the hair follicle is alive but the hair isn't despite the hair being attached is not an explanation I can embrace.

That's like saying the vegetation growing on top of the ground from buried onions and carrots isn't alive but just the root bulb is.

I know folks will think I'm stupid. But I dont' care. My growing hair is alive until it stops growing and falls out. :lol:

but I don't want to hijack this thread ...

so back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Last edited:

~Nigeria~

SohoHair said:

This is true.

SilkyandSmooth

My former hairdresser told me that I needed to touch-up every six weeks. Since I didn't know any better, that's exactly what I did. It wasn't until I discovered LHCF that I found out otherwise. I started touching up every 10-12 weeks. I eventually stretched for 1 and 1/2 years. If I ever texturize/relax again, I will stretch for 4 months.

senimoni

SohoHair said:

I can see your point, but I think of it more in the terms of healing...if you cut your skin...it is alive and you can heal it....however with your hair, once its out thats it, hence the reason you can't fix split ends (maybe superficially with con or silicone )but not down to the core....imho.

sweetcashew

Synthia said:
LOL. I know human beings have nervous systems :). Just because the hair has no nerves doesn't mean its dead. The sensitivity argument and the nail attached at the bed info thrown in has nothing to do with proof that the hair/nails are alive or dead.

But people can say/believe according to their theories.

I know my view is unpopular. But if the hair stand is attached at the root and the root is soaking up nutrients and the hair is subsequently growing...then it's alive to me. To say the hair follicle is alive but the hair isn't despite the hair being attached is not an explanation I can embrace.

That's like saying the vegetation growing on top of the ground from buried onions and carrots isn't alive but just the root bulb is.

I know folks will think I'm stupid. But I dont' care. My growing hair is alive until it stops growing and falls out. :lol:

but I don't want to hijack this thread ...

so back to the regularly scheduled topic.

Hair is dead protein. It's just waste matter. Just like how we pass out waste matter in the form of urine or dodo. lol.. hair is another form. It's waste. It's dead dead dead.

Synthia

sweetcashew said:
Hair is dead protein. It's just waste matter. Just like how we pass out waste matter in the form of urine or dodo. lol.. hair is another form. It's waste. It's dead dead dead.

I know people and books keep telling me its dead, dead, dead ...but the logic just don't convince me.

Take your waste example. See I don't see the connection. The 'other waste' is completely separated from the body. And I agree that hair strands that fall out and separate from the scalp are dead.

But it grows! that 'other' waste you mentioned doesn't grow. To me, growing is only a characteristic of things that are alive.

The healing theory that Senimoni posted is persuasive ... but then I think about growing plants and how you can cut part of a leaf and it doesn't restore itself (heal), but yet it's still alive .... (or is it?)

senimoni

Synthia said:
I know people and books keep telling me its dead, dead, dead ...but the logic just don't convince me.

Take your waste example. See I don't see the connection. The 'other waste' is completely separated from the body. And I agree that hair strands that fall out and separate from the scalp are dead.

But it grows! that 'other' waste you mentioned doesn't grow. To me, growing is only a characteristic of things that are alive.

The healing theory that Senimoni posted is persuasive ... but then I think about growing plants and how you can cut part of a leaf and it doesn't restore itself (heal), but yet it's still alive .... (or is it?)

Do it doesn't always heal, but it will die ie the edges crust up etc, which doesn't happen to your hair when you cut it....its just cut, no response in growth or death.

Synthia

senimoni said:
It doesn't always heal, but it will die ie the edges crust up etc, which doesn't happen to your hair when you cut it....its just cut, no response in growth or death.

OK. This theory seems sound so far: if something attached to a living organism can be cut (or cut off) without healing then that attachment is dead.

:)

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I had a white stylist tell me that "with your type of hair you need a strong, STRONG relaxer if you would like it to be straight". I just chuckled. I wasn't there for a relaxer anyway (I don't relax.) I guess she hadn't seen the many types of black hair. :ohwell:
After the cut, she started putting in more and more product to "calm my hair down" as she said LOL. Again, I chuckled. This happens whenever I go to a hairdresser. They panick when they realize that my hair is not behaving like they thought it would and they cannot for the world understand how I got my hair to look the way it did when I came in :grin: I ended up with a super thick, unruly, tangled pony puff.

Other than that, surprisingly many people with no hair or messed up hair that want to give hair advice. What's that about?:confused:

YellowButterfly

I asked my then hairdresser not to comb the relaxer from root to tip (over-lapping) as he had done during my previous relaxer touch-up.

He stated, "I went to a hair show and the stylist there said a relaxer should be pulled all the way through the hair every 6 months. "

Lucia

wow girl you have some hair it's alot very thick very curly hair...next time you come you really need to think about getting a perm. i never went back there again.

Last edited:

secretdiamond

I went to a hair stylist other than my regular one b/c I was travelling the next day & what a BIG mistake that was! :mad: She put that Jane solution setting lotion crap in my hair, rollerset it, then proceeded to blow fry it, AND then put a hot marcel iron to my now VERY DRY, breaking hair. I told her that she was messing up my hair from the beginning and she insisted that it would get better and so I stayed b/c, like I said, I was travelling the next morning and NEEDED my hair to look decent.

Well, my hair looked worse and worse. I started pulling BROKEN strands off my shirt, showing her and telling her that breakage was bad. She told me, "No, it's when you see the bulb at the end that it's bad and you should worry. If you don't see a bulb then that's good." :eek: WTH!

YellowButterfly said:
I asked my then hairdresser not to comb the relaxer from root to tip (over-lapping) as he had done during my previous relaxer touch-up.

He stated, "I went to a hair show and the stylist there said a relaxer should be pulled all the way through the hair every 6 months. "

Knowing he was lying...

taraglam2

My former stylist said " You have to cut the ends of your hair every relaxer, you just have to. "

The former stylist was relaxing my hair every 4 weeks like clockwork--I went from shoulder lengtrh hair to between ear and neck length hair dealing with her !