Please post the dumbest thing hairdressers have said to you here

Mizani_Mrs

*in a sweet voice*... But i have to keep trimming your hair to shoulderlength because that's the only way your hair will hold a curl.....

MissYocairis

Mizani_Mrs said:
*in a sweet voice*... But i have to keep trimming your hair to shoulderlength because that's the only way your hair will hold a curl.....

That really IS some dumb ish! *smh* :mad:

Candy_C

naturallady said:
I'll bet all her clients come out of her solon looking like this:

she looks like a beautiful egg.

lol anyway

• the blowdryer is good 4 ur hair
  • airdrying is bad and makes your hair dry (DRY? MWUHAHAAAAA)
  • Your hair wil grow if you cut half inch

Two dumb things from the same stylist:

(Begin rant):
I went to get a Wave Nouveau and she looked at my natural hair and asked "Do you already have one?" I should have run as fast as I could. My hair broke off from the Wave Nouveau but I was able to stop it with Aphogee treatments for 3 months. Then I foolishly went back for another Wave Nouveau (INSANITY!) I explained to her what happened and what I had done to stop the breakage. As I was getting up from the chair at the end of my appointment, she scolded me in a loud voice saying "You shouldn't wait so long to come back. You should come every six weeks." Mind you, I had been in that stupid shop for 4 hours. I was so embarrased I couldn't think to say that I didn't come back sooner because she broke my hair off. To make a long story short, the rest of my hair came out after that app't and if you see me at a hair salon ever again, beat my behind.

MizAvalon

SocialWorker29 This thread is funny and scary at the same time. [/quote said:
I agree. This thread is funny AND scary at the same time!

No wonder so many black women have jacked up hair!:mad:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
Mizani_Mrs said:

You should have said *in a sweet voice* gimme the scissors and GO.SIT.DOWN!

ChasingBliss

BK Bombshell said:
Okay, I was getting my first weave and I had a lot of questions.

Me: I work out a lot and I swim. Can I wash it everyday or every other day?

Her: No, Black people wash their hair too much, that's why it falls out.

Me: But I need to run some water over my hair to get the salt off my scalp and the chlorine out my hair.

Her: No you don't. My other clients with weaves get their hair washed every other week when I do it and some of them only wash their hair once a month when they get their hair redone and that's enough. You can go up to about 3 months without washing your hair. If you need to wash your hair every other day, you should stop working out.

Me: WTF :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (While gathering my things and heading for the door)

:lachen::lachen::lachen: That is hilarious!!! She sounds like a straight up idiot!

Galleta

That having a relaxer every four weeks was perfectly fine and my hair ends need to be clipped after every wash and set. I was also told that my hairline was fading away due to stress (the truth: I was getting to many relaxers.)

You can have a relaxer and hair color on the same day.

LaNecia

This thread is awesome!!

I've never been a regular visitor to a salon for longer than 6 months so I can't say I've had any of these experiences. But, my mom went to a lady who did a great job on my hair (two visits and I was done). This woman puts A SUPER relaxer in my mom's hair and leaves it for 45 minutes! The logic: it's an OLD relaxer so it has to be in your hair longer to process fully.

WTF?!?! I was BEYOND mad when I heard about it after the appt!

My mom now gets her hair done in my kitchen! :lol:

FeelinIt

nefertitiblack said:
Two dumb things from the same stylist:

(Begin rant):
I went to get a Wave Nouveau and she looked at my natural hair and asked "Do you already have one?" I should have run as fast as I could. My hair broke off from the Wave Nouveau but I was able to stop it with Aphogee treatments for 3 months. Then I foolishly went back for another Wave Nouveau (INSANITY!) I explained to her what happened and what I had done to stop the breakage. As I was getting up from the chair at the end of my appointment, she scolded me in a loud voice saying "You shouldn't wait so long to come back. You should come every six weeks." Mind you, I had been in that stupid shop for 4 hours. I was so embarrased I couldn't think to say that I didn't come back sooner because she broke my hair off. To make a long story short, the rest of my hair came out after that app't and if you see me at a hair salon ever again, beat my behind.

*note to self.....self......beat nefertit's black a$$ if seen in salon*

Check

tenderheaded

I had my natural hair relaxed in 2000 and she cut it. I went back 3 wks later for a wash and set and she started to put more relaxer in:eek: She said my hair wasn't straight and more relaxer wouldn't hurt. Then she proceeds TO CUT IT AGAIN!!! This time to "even" it up. You should have heard my sisters "ooh, that woman cut your hair!!!
In 2004 I asked a dominican stylist if it was ok to get the relaxer first and get PERMANENT color in 2 wks. She said absolutely. I went from having hair bumping my shoulder blades to hair I couldn't grab between my thumb and forefinger:mad:
In 2005 the stylist who relaxed my natural hair got mad because I wouldn't let her cut my "dry ends". Not split ends just "dry". By that time I realized if I wanted to keep relaxed hair on my head I'd have to do it myself!!!

sunshyne_krissy

Great Thread!!!!!!!!!!Here are my hairdressers' responses:

"If you trim every 6 weeks you will have a hair growth spurt" :confused:

" IF you use a cotton du rag and not a satin one to wrap your hair at night your glued tracks will stay in longer and will grow your hair"

"I have to cut 2 inches off every two weeks for you cuz your hair is too damaged"

" I have to wash your hair with palmolive dish detergent to get the oil out of your scalp"

"I charge $25 extra for natural hair; if you want I can relax it for you for just $10 more...":mad:

NOW TELL ME HOW COME SOME LADIES HAVE TROUBLE GROWING THEIR HAIR LONG AND HEALTHY??
Cus of selfish idiots like my past hairdressers who give out bad advice and information on purpose just to make some green.
:spank: but I cant talk cuz it serves me right for takin advice from women who have goat-chewed hair. Needless to say I won't be letting anoyone else do my hair for a VERY long time

Desert Skye

"You dont have to deep condition after this relaxer.We use only good products here and this relaxer has conditioner already in it."

Yea ok.....:nono:

FeelinIt said:
*note to self.....self......beat nefertit's black a$$ if seen in salon*

Check

ROTFL! Yes, you have my permission! I would rather have one good behind whooping than to lose two years progress LOL!

GoGoChik

This happened about 5 years ago. I went in for a touch-up and my hair was crinkly from a braid out. The woman said she had to relax my entire head in order to straighten it.

Blossssom

anatomicallycorrect said:
Oh, I just remembered the stylist who said that your hair and nails grow after you die. And, many people actually believe this myth. It doesn't. The skin shrinks away from the periphery after death, giving the illusion of growth, but no hair and nails don't grow on dead people! :lol:

Wait a minute! I heard that if they don't drain your blood, hair and nails do continue to grow. Not for a long time, but they don't stop right away.

Say if you die and are buried ecologically.

Blossssom

BK Bombshell said:
Okay, I was getting my first weave and I had a lot of questions.

Me: I work out a lot and I swim. Can I wash it everyday or every other day?

Her: No, Black people wash their hair too much, that's why it falls out.

Me: But I need to run some water over my hair to get the salt off my scalp and the chlorine out my hair.

Her: No you don't. My other clients with weaves get their hair washed every other week when I do it and some of them only wash their hair once a month when they get their hair redone and that's enough. You can go up to about 3 months without washing your hair. If you need to wash your hair every other day, you should stop working out.

Me: WTF :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: (While gathering my things and heading for the door)

LOLOL! Okay!

Bottomline is, she didn't want you doing your own hair. She wanted to wash your hair and get that $35 like clockwork!

Ha!

Blossssom

Omigod! This thread is tragic.

The relaxer horror stories are the most disturbing.

Some stylists want to touch you up if they see even a little new growth.

I truly believe that over-relaxing is the reason why so many black women's doesn't grow as fast and overlapping definitely damages the hair.

Some 4a/b women only relax 2 to 4 times a year (that's good), while others relax every 2-3 weeks. That is SAD!

FineChyna

my mom has her license but took me to this local salon to a get a relaxer and style when i was 13 cause i begged her that i wanted to get my hair done like the other girls.

the woman overlapped the perm and was basically trying to beat every single wave out of my head so i believe she left it in to long. so when they rinsed the perm out i had A LOT of breakage and split ends.

so the lady is styling my hair and trimming it. my mom comes back to see how everything is going and the stylist snaps at her

"A, for YOU to be a stylist, your daughter has too many split ends, you should be shamed of yourself!"

the real truth was that i didn't have a problem until she overlapped the perm and left it in too long

so needless to say my hair was ruined and i never went back

FineChyna

some other odd things i heard was "black people's hair does not grow"

when i had a perm and was experience a lot of breakage i was told i needed to do touch ups more often, why would i want to do that if everytime i get a perm the hair breaks off.

i heard an african braider tell a customer that hair grease solves all hair problems. if that is the case then why are they bald?

WomanlyCharm

Years ago I went to a new salon...the woman who was going to do my hair told me she had "magic fingers" and that my hair would grown AT LEAST 6 inches in 3 months, if I used only the products she sold in the salon and came to her once a week. :eek:

Sure lady. And I'm sure you've got some "magic beans" you want to sell me too. I DON'T THINK SO!!! :mad:
Lying weasel...I can only imagine how many young women were taken in by her promises...

Last edited:
One stylist told me I needed a relaxer every four weeks or my hair wouldn't grow!
I had another stylist who I had been going to for years tell me that in order for me to rid myself of dry hair I should use some Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizer!
That same stylist was ALWAYS clipping my ends! I mean this one time I got a relaxer from her and from that day until my next relaxer I wore protective styles 100% of the time and moisturized religiously. I noticed some awesome growth and very nice looking ends. I thought she might have been proud of me for doing so well with my hair. Instead she told me I needed my ends trimmed and cut like 1/2 and inch. All that work for nothing. I am so happy I do not go to the salon anymore.

Blossssom

FineChyna said:
some other odd things i heard was "black people's hair does not grow"

when i had a perm and was experience a lot of breakage i was told i needed to do touch ups more often, why would i want to do that if everytime i get a perm the hair breaks off.

i heard an african braider tell a customer that hair grease solves all hair problems. if that is the case then why are they bald?

You know what, FineChyna, you ask too many DAMN questions! LOL!

I agree with you WHOLE-HEARTEDLY!

I'm starting to wonder if the relaxer was a way of keeping black women bald!

Lately here, it seems to me that you shouldn't relax that often; okay, but by the time you're ready to go in, say, 3 months later after your last touch-up, you almost wonder what the point is? You are BURIED in new growth! Why slap some relaxer on it when you're going to have new growth again in 4-6 weeks? Ugh!

Basically, many of these stylists are frying people's heads and, of course, they are getting rich in the process. Your hair will never see length (there's a difference between seeing length and not growing) if you keep that perm in your head constantly.

And think about this. You have 40 clients... they all come every other week (some come once a week) and like clockwork, they get perms ever 4-6 weeks! You are really rolling in the dough! Have your own salon and rent booths? You're a millionaire!

Trust me, stylists never want black women to really learn how to care for their hair at home. The stylists themselves, from reading this thread, don't know how to care for our hair either!

Tru_Mind

"I have to comb the relaxer through so that your hair can be silky"

Sooo may stylist told me that same thing...and I believed it.

-tru

Blossssom

tru_mind said:
"I have to comb the relaxer through so that your hair can be silky"

Sooo may stylist told me that same thing...and I believed it.

-tru

My stylist used to do the same thing, Tru. Suffice it to say, my hair was very damaged. I had to cut off some of it, but then when I began flat-ironing my hair on a regular, the damage wasn't so bad.

The heat actually HELPED the damaged part to blend in almost perfectly with the undamaged.

Yea, they lie so much... or just don't know what the hell they're doing!

punchinella

For years I believed this one: your hair is so thick you need a Revlon Super Strength (and I let so may ppl use this on me). Until I met a wonderful hairdresser who took the time to learn my hair and teach me about it too. She put a mild relaxer on my hair and got it straight.

Girl black ppl don't have jet black hair (only off black) and if they do have jet black hair they must be mixed.

Me: My hair is shedding real bad
Stylist: You have so much hair you won't miss it

Air drying is more damaging than blow drying

If I don't cut it the curls won't stay

Does it seem like when they were called beauticians instead of stylists they knew more?

Tee

punchinella said:
For years I believed this one: your hair is so thick you need a Revlon Super Strength (and I let so may ppl use this on me). Until I met a wonderful hairdresser who took the time to learn my hair and teach me about it too. She put a mild relaxer on my hair and got it straight.

Girl black ppl don't have jet black hair (only off black) and if they do have jet black hair they must be mixed.

Me: My hair is shedding real bad
Stylist: You have so much hair you won't miss it

Air drying is more damaging than blow drying

If I don't cut it the curls won't stay

Does it seem like when they were called beauticians instead of stylists they knew more?

YOu know you have some good one.