POLL TIME!!! are relaxed heads the new minority whats your status

whats your status?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JaneiR36

I disagreed with your belief that there's no difference in spending between the two. What I was referring to, and you didn't understand, is that the most profiteering comes from the relaxed and straight arena (e.g. weaves, wigs, relaxers).

That's the point of weaves and wigs, whether it's straight or curly or a 'fro, you've no idea what the person is wearing underneath it. Could be relaxed or natural under it. The weave itself could be straight or not. I think I kinda get your point but even when the extension starts out straight in the bag it could be used for cornrows (to make them thicker or to make them last longer), or for braids. These aren't western beauty standards and are actually quite the opposite. The weaves and wigs bag is just so mixed to me, I see assigning them to relaxed heads (even mostly) as being rather random. Relaxers and other services performed in a salon will cost $$$ but again only tip towards relaxed heads in spending if naturals hardly ever get anything done in a hair salon.

30something

Relaxed, maybe heat straighten natural in the near future. I hate the self relaxing process, too much work for my taste. I can't seem to find a hair dresser that can relax my hair with in the 20 minute time frame. Its as simple as that :)

Maybe a misconception but natural hair seem like I would have to learn how to style my hair and I'm totally styled challenged like a mo fo. I see girls on campus every one of their natural hair styles is styled soo well, I get so envious.

cia_garces

no friend, they are not the new minority. this is a small sample of women coming on here. most of them just lurk anyway and don't want to join due to the fee.

LMAO I ashamed to say it, but this was SO me. I joined thinking I could post, found out about the fee and thought "Oooh... I gotta pay? Mmm, maybe later." :lachen:Between the tips, the conversation and the bright spot lhcf puts in my day, I think the fee is MORE than worth it. Hell, I've spent more than that on a bad meal. :ohwell:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
lots of people are coming to the light and going natural.

Are you serious?!?!?!? o_O

its funny how almost everyone who's relaxed has to state how they have no desire to transition or go natural in the near future

There is a new thread everyday about someone going natural and wanting to shout it from the mountain tops. Do you see us complaining about it? What's your point?

Although I know they're not going to do it, it would be nice to have a relaxed sub-forum.

sj73

I'm relaxed, but I wish I had the patience to go natural. I don't and it probably won't ever happen. I still get excited when it's time to relax at 12 weeks. Power to the naturals, ya'll have patience that I envy. I'm just focused on healthy, relaxed hair now :)

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I am natural and I have been natural for four years now. I do admit there has been an increase in the amount of women I see wearing natural hair in real life. But at the end of the day, relaxed women still are the majority. More women are likely to be natural on online hair forums IMO because many women are unfamiliar with their natural hair texture and seek refuge on forums, blogs, and youtube to seek information and help.

Quita3514

I'm relaxed and I love it!!! I pondered going naural...back to my roots but after an 8 week relaxer stretch and after that new growth comes in I can't take it I'm dying for a relaxer..I do believe that natural is much better overall for the health of your hair without the damage due to chemicals..

www.startinfromsquareone.blogspot.com

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
adora why? I just got my first wig and I'm kinda excited about it. I can't wait to get more.

i have nothing against wigs.... actually i rocked a half wig for 6months untill i reached apl back in the day.

its just that....I SEEEE FAKE HAIR EVERY WHERE! braid extensions, wigs, weaves, fake buns (i also wore a fake puff). i just wish i saw more african american women with their real hair ya know? *scratchs head* you know what i mean right?

ok, maybe i shouldnt care huh.....

i get alot of white people asking if this is my real hair all the time:perplexed even they cant believe we actually can grow our own hair.

i just wish more of use would sport our own hair a little more.

Hairness

Hi. I'm a tranistioning newbie. I came to this board fully relaxed with no intentions of going natural. I found this board while searching for information about growing my edges back. I lurked for about a month and then I joined. I didn't talk but just did searches and I've learned so much! This board inspired me to go natural. That and I fell in love with my texture!

To further explain, I learned about stretching here. I'd go to the hairdresser every six weeks for a touch up and a trim (no wonder I never gained any significant length). I decided to stretch as I had read on the boards and went for 10 weeks. My hair looked full and had body....then I got a touch up...my hair look thin and my texture was gone (I posted about this back in May). I vowed then and there not to get another straight perm, however, was not going to deal with my natural hair, I was going to texturize! After 12 weeks, that's what I did. I wasn't crazy about that either, it zapped most of my texture. Also, my edges weren't storming back either.

After thinking about it and seeing wonderful examples of beautiful heads of hair on this site, natural and relaxed and reading posts and threads about it, I decided for the health of my hair and the love of my own texture, I was going to transition. This was a personal decision that has nothing to do with anyone else's hair or their reasons to wear it the way they do.

The thing that I love the most about these boards is that I knew I would be supported and get vast amounts of information regarding regimes, products, styles, etc.! And…if I decide to return to relaxing or texturizing, I know I will find a wealth of information here for that too. We should respect each other’s fashion decisions and not disparage someone for their choices. And regarding money, believe me, folks can find ways to spend a lot money on anything, be it for a relaxed head, natural, extensions, etc.!....just like cars, you can buy a Mercedes or a Toyota – the choice is yours. Peace.

brg240

i have nothing against wigs.... actually i rocked a half wig for 6months untill i reached apl back in the day.

its just that....I SEEEE FAKE HAIR EVERY WHERE! braid extensions, wigs, weaves, fake buns (i also wore a fake puff). i just wish i saw more african american women with their real hair ya know? *scratchs head* you know what i mean right?

ok, maybe i shouldnt care huh.....

i get alot of white people asking if this is my real hair all the time:perplexed even they cant believe we actually can grow our own hair.

i just wish more of use would sport our own hair a little more.

Okay I understand, I actually am terrible at being able to tell fake hair from real hair. It has to be really obvious you know or be a ponytail. I guess if I only saw black woman wear fake hair I'd rather see some rock their real hair. But for the last 22 years I have been rocking my real hair, I want to have some fun too.

lol you know I don't really get people asking if my hair is real, but I'm super oblivious so. I get some oh you have so much hair maybe that's their way of asking idk.

Glib Gurl

Honestly, I *love* my relaxed hair . . . and it's not because I'm a self-hating negro. But, my hair is very thick and coarse, so when it's relaxed it still maintains body -- not limp or lifeless at all. I do admit that I'm interested in learning more about how to care for my natural hair . . . if for no other reason than to be able to care better for my new growth and save a little bit of money by not having to get relaxers quite so often. But I love the versatility of relaxed tresses . . . and because I have such strong hair, even when relaxed, it makes a nice curl pattern when wet. I am excited to start playing around more with wash-n-go styles . . . and especially learning how not to experience breakage and dryness with it.

But yeah, I love my creamy crack :love: :lol:

ETA - I have been flipping through books on natural hair care and almost universally the author starts out complaining . . . I mean, talking about how their lives were a living hell when they were getting relaxers . . . they were suffering from burns, breakage and other ailments. But in reading about their experiences, I'm thinking that the problem wasn't so much the relaxers as much as it was that these ladies didn't know how to properly care for their relaxed hair. And I'm not saying this with any judgment . . . before I found LHCF I was a hot mess . . . in fact, if you go back and look at my earliest threads, they all basically boiled down to this: :help: :pullhair: Now that I've been edjumacated by my LHCF sistahs, my hair is :gorgeous:

Last edited:

vtoodler

I would think that it would be difficult to wear natural hair (pressed hair) in warm/humid climates, such as the South. It might also be difficult to wear natural hair if you are an athlete.

Lovelylocs

Relaxed hair checking in!

I never wear wigs or weaves either, just my own long, real, relaxed hair. :yep: And loving it!

Nya33

Status - Relaxed.

Each to their own, want your hair natural enjoy want it relaxed enjoy.

I'm staying relaxed for now :yep:

sj10460

Don't Come for me unless I send for you!
Natural since 2007 and I love it. And hate it. I really miss my relaxers sometimes, especially when I was detangling or air drying. But since I have learned how to properly take care of my hair, I don't think it's neccessary for me to use chemicals anymore. I had my last relaxer in March 07 and not looking back

Stormy

Oh yeah, my former stylist said that only 12% (or maybe she said 20%) of her clients are relaxed, but from what I see relaxed ladies are still the majority and it's on the hair boards that most are natural. Then again so many women are hiding their hair I don't know. IRL they could be natural too.