Porosity Control Is the TRUTH!!! (kinda long)

metro_qt

Ok, I love porosity control. It really takes out tangles like butter.
2 weeks ago, I put caruso rollers in my hair, steam curled it to try something different.
My hair hasn't felt the same since then. It's been dry, tangly and breaking off everyday... I deep conditioned with hair mayo and reconstructor every week, and kept conditioner washing everyday... but my hair would soak up the conditioner like water, and still be pretty dry. I wasn't understanding what was happening.

I decided on sunday that I wanted a rinse. ( :mad: )
That was it for my hair. It tangled something fierce. I thought i was going to have to cut the knots and tangles out with scissors.

I combed my hair 'til my head hurt, and I still didn't get all the mats and dreds out.

plus, i had a plastic bag full of hair that came out my head.
I was soooooooooooooooooo sad, because up until that point, i had been taking beautiful care of my hair... no heat since last year... one trim per year... conditioner washing every day, deep conditioning once a week... daily oiling with Evoo and Coconut... etc.

So to lose that much hair was disheartening.
Plus,I still had a head full of dreds.

I went and got porosity control yesterday, and 80% of my matted hair came untagled. and i lost a lot less hair.
(still lost a good ball of hair though...)

anyway. i'm happier than I was yesterday, because i only have a couple of big tangles to take care of,
but, most importantly my hair feels sleeker and not so dry anymore.

The conditioner coats my hair again, like it did weeks ago, instead of being sucked up into it, and remaining dry...

My question is... how much porosity control is too much? Can I use this stuff every day until my hair gets better? or, is it a once a week/once a month type deal?

Also, Can I use anything with it? like protein?

I love the stuff too. But out of lack of knowledge, I limit usage to touch up and hair glaze time only.

I think if you use it consistently each time you have a chemical service - a few days before and a few days after, I think you will find that your hair will bounce back without using it every day. Or try diluting it and not using it full strength if you use it every day.

there are different brands?
I used 'porosity control' by Roux.

and Thanks Gmmp, i will try diluting it if I use it more often...

Does anyone know if steam affects the acidity of hair making it hard to manage?

I wonder why my hair acted up like that...

Oh yea, the rinse I did, there was no ammonia or peroxide in it... I guess rinses just tangles hair real good.....

i loved porosity control*. :love: if it was toxin free i'd use it forever. :( i've found that ORS Replenishing Pak works just as well, smells better and has much better ingredients. :up: I used Giovanni Smooth As Silk Conditioner* on my sew-in and that did a good job too. just gotta try it on my own hair for the final verdict.

Last edited:
My stylist uses the Roux porosity control mixed with the Keracare Humecto conditioner on my hair everytime I have a treatment. He says that you do not need to use too much so he mixes a bigger portion of the Keracare with it.

I've heard some using it along with a deep conditoner and others as a final rinse? What's the best way of using it? I asked b/c I used it once and my hair did not come out the way everyone is talking about. I added it to cholesterol that tangled my hair and nothing happened. I then washed it out and tried again. But it still didn't work. :ohwell:

secretdiamond said:
I've heard some using it along with a deep conditoner and others as a final rinse? What's the best way of using it? I asked b/c I used it once and my hair did not come out the way everyone is talking about. I added it to cholesterol that tangled my hair and nothing happened. I then washed it out and tried again. But it still didn't work. :ohwell:

bumping, because I want to know too...

It's two days later now, and my hair is still 'normal'... I'm so pleased.
i'm just mad that I lost soo much hair though.

I am completely clueless when it comes to Porosity Control poo's. I hear you guys talking about tangles and stuff but isn't it for hair that is porous?

What is porous hair anyway?

My hair holds water, it just doesn't dry well overnight, in fact it takes days to airdry.....do I have a porosity problem?

Someone please shed light on this subject..

TIA

THANK YOU METRO QT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hair has been acting really funky over the last week or so -- dry, frizzy, not responding to conditioner washes and leave-ins. I read your post last night and decided to pull an old bottle of Roux Porosity Control. I had forgotten all about it.

I did a conditioner was with it this morning. My hair looks great! And it feels sooooooooooooo good! It's smooth. No frizz. Less shrinkage.

Thank you!

yeah this stuff great. I can dilute it and make it last longer? I did not know that. I have been following the instructions on the bottle that say apply for a short time. Next time I will mix it with my conditioner.

onepraying said:
I am completely clueless when it comes to Porosity Control poo's. I hear you guys talking about tangles and stuff but isn't it for hair that is porous?

What is porous hair anyway?

My hair holds water, it just doesn't dry well overnight, in fact it takes days to airdry.....do I have a porosity problem?

Someone please shed light on this subject..

TIA

One Praying, if your hair is taking days to airdry. then your hair is good. No. it's Great.
that means it's in really good condition.
My hair wouldn't hold water in the shower, and My hair just up until 2 weeks ago would take days to airdry...

Porous means that your ... well. i'm making it up if I tell you what I think porous is, but it just means (i think) that your cuticles are raised, allowing more product to enter.

Cuticles raised is a bad thing, it makes your hair tangly, it makes your hair frizzy.. and it makes your hair act badly.

My hair mats up like dog fur when it's like this. :lachen:

what I read was that your hair's PH balance is out of wack, i think your hair becoming more acid, therefore raising the cuticle.

Porosity control is a Ph balancing conditioner.... so anyone at any point can use it if their hair's Ph goes off, just by using daily styling products...which i think happened to me.

Even shampoo will throw your hair's Ph off...

anyway.
If your hair holds water, and dries evenly hours later, your hair is in great condition.

ravenmerlita said:
THANK YOU METRO QT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hair has been acting really funky over the last week or so -- dry, frizzy, not responding to conditioner washes and leave-ins. I read your post last night and decided to pull an old bottle of Roux Porosity Control. I had forgotten all about it.

I did a conditioner was with it this morning. My hair looks great! And it feels sooooooooooooo good! It's smooth. No frizz. Less shrinkage.

Thank you!

I told you!!!!!!
this stuff is great!!!
when you don't know what else to do... try porosity control!
same with me... smooth, no frizz, less shrinkage...
love this stuff!

I love Porosity Control too. I plan to use it as a treatment shampoo and conditioner in between my Keracare and Kenra shampoo & conditioners.

metro_qt said:
One Praying, if your hair is taking days to airdry. then your hair is good. No. it's Great.
that means it's in really good condition.
My hair wouldn't hold water in the shower, and My hair just up until 2 weeks ago would take days to airdry...

Porous means that your ... well. i'm making it up if I tell you what I think porous is, but it just means (i think) that your cuticles are raised, allowing more product to enter.

Cuticles raised is a bad thing, it makes your hair tangly, it makes your hair frizzy.. and it makes your hair act badly.

My hair mats up like dog fur when it's like this. :lachen:

what I read was that your hair's PH balance is out of wack, i think your hair becoming more acid, therefore raising the cuticle.

Porosity control is a Ph balancing conditioner.... so anyone at any point can use it if their hair's Ph goes off, just by using daily styling products...which i think happened to me.

Even shampoo will throw your hair's Ph off...

anyway.
If your hair holds water, and dries evenly hours later, your hair is in great condition.

That's probably the best explaination I've heard. Thank you!

Is everyone talking about the shampoo or conditioner. Should you use both, or just one? Which one works better?

Hmmm I love Porosity Control conditioner when I use it, it makes my hair so moisurized and frizz free :grin: . I like to mix a little with other conditioners. But I also noticed that when I use it, my hair dries a whole lot faster... is that a bad thing because it's truly moisturized, doesn't shed nearly as much, and looks great but it still dries super fast when I use it. I thought I heard something about when your hair's porous it's dry and holds on to moisture for dear life and takes a long time to dry but when its 'balanced' it accepts moisture easily so it doesn't feel the need to hold on to excess moisture or something.... All this pH business confuses me :confused: .

Hair Porosity:

Porosity is the measure of the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined
by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and inhibits the penetration of the hair shaft by moisture - both moisture going in, and
moisture coming out. When the cuticle is overly compact and prevents the penetration
of the hair by moisture it has low porosity. Hair with low porosity is harder to process,
and is resistant to haircolor and perms. Low porosity hair must usually be softened
prior to other chemical services. Hair with high porosity is hair whose cuticle layer is
open and the hair too-readily absorbs moisture. Overly-porous hair also releases
moisture easily and becomes dry and is easily damaged. Acid-balanced conditioning
treatments are used to contract the cuticle layer and lock-in moisture on overly-porous hair. Extreme caution must be used when performing chemical services on overly porous hair to prevent damage. Haircolor will take much more quickly and strongly in overly porous hair (and semi-permanent and demi-permanent haircolors will fade much more quickly). Perms and straighteners will process much faster in high-porosity hair as well. To determine the porosity of your hair, simply feel it - both when wet and when dry. If the hair feels straw-like and rough when dry, or if it feels gummy or slightly rubbery when wet, then you probably have a problem with overly porous hair.

This is what I found on a clairol hair site about porous hair.

Porosity and Healthy Hair:
The porosity of your hair helps you decide what haircare and styling products are best for you. If hair is too porous, it will absorb too much liquid, which often indicates damage to the hair cuticle, cortex, or both. Choose haircare products that correct over-porous hair, such as Herbal Essences and Daily Defence Conditioner.

Cincysweetie said:
Not that I NEED anymore products :look: , but where can I buy this Roux Porosity Conditioner?

cincy i just saw your album your hair is beautiful! i wish i could get to your length.

latia said:
Hair Porosity:

Porosity is the measure of the hair's ability to absorb moisture. This is determined
by the condition of the hair's cuticle layer (the overlapping scales of the hair shaft), and is rated as low, normal, and high. In normal, healthy hair, the cuticle is compact and inhibits the penetration of the hair shaft by moisture - both moisture going in, and
moisture coming out. When the cuticle is overly compact and prevents the penetration
of the hair by moisture it has low porosity. Hair with low porosity is harder to process,
and is resistant to haircolor and perms. Low porosity hair must usually be softened
prior to other chemical services. Hair with high porosity is hair whose cuticle layer is
open and the hair too-readily absorbs moisture. Overly-porous hair also releases
moisture easily and becomes dry and is easily damaged. Acid-balanced conditioning
treatments are used to contract the cuticle layer and lock-in moisture on overly-porous hair. Extreme caution must be used when performing chemical services on overly porous hair to prevent damage. Haircolor will take much more quickly and strongly in overly porous hair (and semi-permanent and demi-permanent haircolors will fade much more quickly). Perms and straighteners will process much faster in high-porosity hair as well. To determine the porosity of your hair, simply feel it - both when wet and when dry. If the hair feels straw-like and rough when dry, or if it feels gummy or slightly rubbery when wet, then you probably have a problem with overly porous hair.

This is what I found on a clairol hair site about porous hair.

Porosity and Healthy Hair:
The porosity of your hair helps you decide what haircare and styling products are best for you. If hair is too porous, it will absorb too much liquid, which often indicates damage to the hair cuticle, cortex, or both. Choose haircare products that correct over-porous hair, such as Herbal Essences and Daily Defence Conditioner.

Latia,
Thank you for the info!!!

Cincysweetie said:
Not that I NEED anymore products :look: , but where can I buy this Roux Porosity Conditioner?

I almost broke my neck on monday trying to make it to the Sally's before it closed to get this...

I didn't make it.
Surprisingly enough, I went to an around-the-way Bss, and they had it.

try different places in your area, and just ask for a porosity control conditioner.

I'm just praising Roux, cuz that's the only one I know... but i'll bet there are different brands out there...

Latia-

Thanks for the info.

Does this mean, that because it takes my hair so long to dry that I have overly porous hair?

I'm no longer doing chemical processes, so does it really matter for me? I do want my hair to dry quicker, atleast over night...

onepraying said:
Latia-

Thanks for the info.

Does this mean, that because it takes my hair so long to dry that I have overly porous hair?

I'm no longer doing chemical processes, so does it really matter for me? I do want my hair to dry quicker, atleast over night...

No your hair is not overly porous or hardly at all. Your hair is able to retain moisture because your cuticles are not raised. Think of 2 sponges, 1 with holes and 1 without and then pour water on each sponge. The sponge with the holes(porous) would dry faster than the one without because it is unable to hold moisture as long due to the holes (or raised cuticles).

1Specialk said:
No your hair is not overly porous or hardly at all. Your hair is able to retain moisture because your cuticles are not raised. Think of 2 sponges, 1 with holes and 1 without and then pour water on each sponge. The sponge with the holes(porous) would dry faster than the one without because it is unable to hold moisture as long due to the holes (or raised cuticles).

GOOOOOOOOD analogy!

What did you have on your hair with the Caruso curlers, did you use end papers, and how long did you steam the rollers. I have had nothing but great results with the steamer. I am so sorry that you had this experience :( .

BTW, could you please explain porosity control (what is it and what does it do). I see it frequently.

metro_qt said:
Ok, I love porosity control. It really takes out tangles like butter.
2 weeks ago, I put caruso rollers in my hair, steam curled it to try something different.
My hair hasn't felt the same since then. It's been dry, tangly and breaking off everyday... I deep conditioned with hair mayo and reconstructor every week, and kept conditioner washing everyday... but my hair would soak up the conditioner like water, and still be pretty dry. I wasn't understanding what was happening.

I decided on sunday that I wanted a rinse. ( :mad: )
That was it for my hair. It tangled something fierce. I thought i was going to have to cut the knots and tangles out with scissors.

I combed my hair 'til my head hurt, and I still didn't get all the mats and dreds out.

plus, i had a plastic bag full of hair that came out my head.
I was soooooooooooooooooo sad, because up until that point, i had been taking beautiful care of my hair... no heat since last year... one trim per year... conditioner washing every day, deep conditioning once a week... daily oiling with Evoo and Coconut... etc.

So to lose that much hair was disheartening.
Plus,I still had a head full of dreds.

I went and got porosity control yesterday, and 80% of my matted hair came untagled. and i lost a lot less hair.
(still lost a good ball of hair though...)

anyway. i'm happier than I was yesterday, because i only have a couple of big tangles to take care of,
but, most importantly my hair feels sleeker and not so dry anymore.

The conditioner coats my hair again, like it did weeks ago, instead of being sucked up into it, and remaining dry...

My question is... how much porosity control is too much? Can I use this stuff every day until my hair gets better? or, is it a once a week/once a month type deal?

Also, Can I use anything with it? like protein?

locabouthair said:
cincy i just saw your album your hair is beautiful! i wish i could get to your length.
Thank you!!! You will be there in no time!

Thank you Metro_qt! I'm going to check it out some time soon, possibly before my next chemical treatment.

:yep: I LOVE Porosity Control. I use it after I deep condition to prevent my hair from becoming too mushy since I dc weekly. It's amazing.

You can buy PC at Sally's. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else!

Back