Porosity or Product problem? Opinions please

blondemane

I have been doing some research and I think my hair low porosity. I did the water test twice and it floated, for days. Nothing I do seems to moisturize my hair. I have tried everything and moisture not being able to get in the strand makes a lot of sense as to how my hair acts. However I don't have the other symptoms of perhaps glossy hair or hair that doesn't take chemical treatments well. About 5 months ago I dyed my hair a little color from a commercial box dye and it took fairly well. Could I still be low porosity?? Or should I just keep product searching. I think I am low porosity and would like to perhaps try a steamer? I read heat helps lift the cuticles and get moisture in

blondemane

I forgot to say that I am a 4b natural, fine strands that have breakage on the ends. I was thinking if I was low porosity that my hair keeps breaking because it isn't getting proper moisture maybe? I currently DC with just a cap for 30 mins. Overnight DCing does not work for me. I don't have a hooded dryer and I don't think I would use it as often as I would a steamer which is why I was thinking about investing in that instead. Thanks!

faithVA

Its still possible you are low porosity. Using the same conditioner does your hair feel differently when you use it with the heat cap vs. without?

After you rinse the conditioner out next time, instead of toweling your hair off, try putting on a plastic cap and sitting under the heat cap for 15 minutes before applying any product. See if that helps any.

I am able to color my hair as well. An overnight DCing does not work for me. I also did not notice any benefit of using a steamer but some low porosity heads do.

What type of products are you using after you DC? Are you using the LOC method? applying and oil and something creamy after you DC?

lamaria211

I agree with faithva. Which products are you currently using? And when is the last time you clarified and done a protein treatment?

Evolving78

you sound low porous to me. i steaming and overnight conditioning doesn't work well for me. i can take color well. it sounds like it maybe a product issue. you may not be using products that are suitable for your hair.

so the questions remain, what products are you using shampoo, deep condition, and moisturize with?

when was the last time you clarified and when was the last time you had a trim and protein treatment? all you may need is a light protein treatment too at least 4-6 weeks since you are natural.

oh and how often are you washing your hair? i know for me i can't go a past a week. my hair is fine and low porous and cannot take a lot of buildup. it will cause dryness and breakage if i wait longer.

blondemane

Thanks for the response yall!
faithVA shortdub78 lamaria211
Hot oil treatment/prepoo-1/2 olive 1/2 coconut oil
shampoo-cream of nature, old white and blue bottle (it does have sulfate in it I think)
conditioner-nexxus humectress, the first time I used I fell in love with the slip but they JUST changed ingredients so back to square one
leave in-carols daughter hair milk originial, I like this
light protein-redken antisnap
seal-hot 6 oil

lamaria211

Thanks for the response yall!
faithVA shortdub78 lamaria211
shampoo-cream of nature, old white and blue bottle (it does have sulfate in it I think)
conditioner-nexxus humectress, the first time I used I fell in love with the slip but they JUST changed ingredients so back to square one
seal-hot 6 oil

Try clarifying and doing a moisture DC with a heavy duty moisturizing conditioner I don't think Nexxus Humectress is one, unless its the one in the jar. Do you have any other deep conditioners in your arsenal? What are your leave ins and moisturizers?

faithVA

[USER=315069 said:
blondemane[/USER];17638657]Thanks for the response yall!
@faithVA @shortdub78 @lamaria211
seal-hot 6 oil

If you are low porosity, then the coconut oil may be a problem. And the redken protein I wouldn't use more often then once every other month or once a quarter. The other products I'm not familiar enough with but they sound ok.

blondemane

Really the coconut oil? I never thought of that. And not many other useful products. I have the keracare deep conditioner...can't think of the name off the top of my head and no real moisturizer I guess. I have elasta qp mango and olive oil butter and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie, my hair used to love these and now they don't

blondemane

If you are low porosity, then the coconut oil may be a problem. And the redken protein I wouldn't use more often then once every other month or once a quarter. The other products I'm not familiar enough with but they sound ok.

maybe I should just prepoo with olive oil? I never thought of coconut oil because I've been using it since I was relaxed

faithVA

maybe I should just prepoo with olive oil? I never thought of coconut oil because I've been using it since I was relaxed

You have to play around with it and see. From what I have read, coconut oil can absorb into your strands, I think the article says it binds to the protein in your hair. When it does that it prevents your hair from absorbing as much water. That's wonderful if you are high porosity or normal porosity, but if you are low porosity you can see how that could be a problem.

Maybe one week prepoo with just the olive oil and the next with both and see if there is any difference.

SunRai Naturals

I had the same issue before I found out that I was low porosity. I've found that using a hooded dryer to help my products penetrate has really changed my hair for the better. I deep condition with a hooded dryer at least once per week.

The kicker is that I also sit under my hooded dryer to help my Leave-in conditioner penetrate. I will put Cantu Leave-in on my hair and then sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes. Literally my hair stays moisturized for at least two days.

Consistently doing this has changed the way that my hair feels and I can tell that it absorbs product better. I only do it about once or twice per week.
Also I make sure that I use shampoo once per week or week and a half to make sure that I don't have product build up. I stay away from cool water (even when rinsing out conditioner and products that close the cuticle-such as Kimmaytube's leave-in. It really is like I have different hair now.

blondemane

I had the same issue before I found out that I was low porosity. I've found that using a hooded dryer to help my products penetrate has really changed my hair for the better. I deep condition with a hooded dryer at least once per week.

The kicker is that I also sit under my hooded dryer to help my Leave-in conditioner penetrate. I will put Cantu Leave-in on my hair and then sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes. Literally my hair stays moisturized for at least two days.

Consistently doing this has changed the way that my hair feels and I can tell that it absorbs product better. I only do it about once or twice per week.
Also I make sure that I use shampoo once per week or week and a half to make sure that I don't have product build up. I stay away from cool water (even when rinsing out conditioner and products that close the cuticle-such as Kimmaytube's leave-in. It really is like I have different hair now.

I have heard this about the leave in as well. Will definitely give this a try. How do you re-moisturize through the week

faithVA I think I will try just olive oil next wash....maybe with some honey added in? My hair seemed to like honey last time

SunRai Naturals

@blondmane- I put distilled water in a spray bottle and I'll spray my hair with water to re-moisturize. If I need something heavier I will spray it with water, followed by a cream leave-in, and then seal with a butter. Then I will baggy for about 2 hours. I feel that using more heat (through the hood dryer) has even made my baggying more effective for my hair.

Fine 4s

Which Cantu leave-in do you use SunRai Naturals?
The one in the container or the orange bottle?
I used the moisturizing oil (the orange bottle) and it felt good going on but still was dry after. I put the oil moisturizer on my air dryed hair.