Pregnant! Any Relaxed/Transitioning/Natural Moms?

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
CONGRATS GIRL!!! I relaxed and got my hair highlighted during both of my preggocy's.. and I use to relax pretty much every 4-5 weeks.. my kids are perfectly fine..

teerama

Hot Mama!
Congratulations!!!

This is my second pregnancy and I have relaxed through each one. I had a 'sister' for my first pregnancy and she said that she would wait until 10 - 12 weeks for a touchup but after that is fine. I have continued my regimen and all has been well. All the recent research I have read states that chemicals from relaxers are only on the hair shaft for a limited period of time (usu. 15 mins.) and do not enter the bloodstream so it is safe to say that you may relax throughout your pregnancy.

PrettyBrownEyes

I kept my hair relaxed and went in for my routine touch-ups while I was pregant up until my 8th month when I decided to get braids. After my 6 week check-up after the baby was born I went back on my relaxed hair schedule.

My hair was fine. It grew faster and thicker but, I think it was from the pregnancy.

JenJen2721

Congrats Nyambura! Welcome to the club! I tried relaxing my hair during the 2nd trimester, but to no avail. No straightening whatsoever happened....it's highly resistant...so I guess I'm unofficially transitioning, I'll decide whether or not to relax again after the baby's born.

/images/graemlins/babyb.gif /images/graemlins/babyg.gif

L.Mo.

I'm in the same boat! Congrats Nyambura!

I'm approaching week 8 for my relaxer -- only approaching week 6 for the pregnancy! Not sure if I can wait until the first trimester is over (Christmas time) before relaxing again. I don't think my 4b hair can take it... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

My cousin is 5 months pregnant and relaxes every 8 weeks. She told me, "Our mom's relaxed when they were pregnant with us and we turned out better than average!!" Ha, ha!

A.Marie

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I relaxed my hair until my fifth month. After that, my hairdresser straightened my roots with the hot comb. I am glad I did it this way, because a lot of women that I know who relaxed until the end had very thin sides. My sides were already thin, so I didn't want to lose anymore hair. My left side thinned out a little, but not as bad as some I've seen.

Nyambura

surfer girl
I know it's belated (I didn't check this thread until last night, lol) but heartfelt: Thank you, ladies!/images/graemlins/kiss.gif Thank you <font color="blue"> Shatani, Brandy, Zoya_j, Shinyblackhair, jellynote, BahamaMama, Honi, Britt, Zola, Ms_Jennifer, Carlie, Buffalo Soldier, Nonie, Tonya, RushGirl, and PBE!</font> It was such a joy for me to read your well wishes. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Crazyabouthair </font> ~ Congratulations on your pregnancy too! /images/graemlins/clap.gif I'm wavering b/t relaxing in the second trimester or skipping chems altogether and braiding/wigging it. I don't dye my hair so no worries on that end at least - that's what the wig(s)'ll be for! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

<font color="blue"> Honi </font> ~ updo's and buns = my middle name. /images/graemlins/smile.gif BUT - some days my hair ... /images/graemlins/confused.gif.../images/graemlins/nono.gif...lol. I know hair is dead but I swear it's got a life of its own some days, even with the updo's. I've seen your pic of you and your little one, and your hair looked *wonderful* - thick, long, full of body. I'm hoping that will happen to me.

<font color="blue">Wildflower </font> ~ thank you for your blessings. /images/graemlins/Rose.gif I'm trying to keep up with my cornrow practice, to get it to the point wear I can do tiny ones -not there yet- and I'm so exhausted. These days, it's go-to-work-come-home-go-straight-to-sleep (yep, at 5 - 6 pm). I'll have to hunt around for braiders again.

<font color="blue"> Ayeshia </font> ~ /images/graemlins/trampoline.gif Babies due all around the same date! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Your god-baby (congratulations!) and GMMP's baby?! Ain't that something? wonderful, wonderful, happy news. /images/graemlins/clap.gif I love babies.

<font color="blue"> Mariaat40 </font> ~ Thank you! I just PM'd you last night. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> GMMP </font> ~ Congratulations on your pregnancy too! Your first little is just as cute and adorable as she can be. /images/graemlins/grin.gif Hadn't thought about the pH shifting (I've so much to learn!) but that makes sense. After all, everything else is shifting. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif Seriously though, that might explain why some things are not working as well on my hair. Thank you for the heads up.

<font color="blue"> L.Mo. </font> ~ Congratulations on your pregnancy! /images/graemlins/clap.gif Yes, we may be within the same time-frame. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's hard to believe something so tiny can cause such a physical difference - exhaustion, 24-hour nauseau, etc. Creating a life where none existed before is nothing short of a miracle and blessing from God. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Andreaetta </font>~ I can relate to the thinning concerns. Before I knew I was pregnant, I had massive shedding /images/graemlins/frown.gif and I still have a now silver-dollar (used to be quarter) sized area towards the front where the hair doesn't seem to be growing. If only my braids looked the way I wanted them to, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of chemicals during this period.

<font color="blue"> Teerama </font> ~ Another mommy-to-be! Congratulations on your second bundle of joy! /images/graemlins/cool.gif That's reassuring re: relaxer and scalp contact. I'm wondering if the relaxer will take now. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif If I do go ahead with it, I'll wait until week 14.

<font color="blue"> JenJen </font> ~ Congratulations! /images/graemlins/grin.gif Yay! Will this be your second or third little one? So many mommys-in-waiting (both seasoned and new)! How wonderful! I suspect I might experience what your hair did, when you relaxed in your second trimester. I think my hair texture has changed. It's definitely Type 4 these days and, except for my silver-dollar-sized trouble spot, very lush.

Nyambura

surfer girl
[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
<font color="purple"> Congratulations!!! </font>

The only thing I'd recommend is that whenever you do relax you make sure to do a spot test first. My mom got 2nd degree burns from a relaxer when she was pregnancy because pregnancy can change your skin chemistry quite a bit and make it more sensitive.

I'm pregnant with baby #2 and have taken supplements with both- MSM for joint strength (I get severe pain in my hips without it), prenatal (of course), biotin (naturopathic OB okayed it since many pregnant women wind up with biotin defeciency), and later in the pregnancy I'll take Evening Primrose Oil which is good for regulating hormones and ripening the cervix.

[/ QUOTE ]

Divastate , that icon is hilarious! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif I remember chuckling when I saw it last night. The doc tells me that absent-mindedness is part of the 1st trimester experience but please forgive my unintentional omission of you from my post above! Some days, if my head weren't permanently attached, I think I'd leave it behind somewhere too! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/nono.gif What you say about the scalp makes sense: I hadn't thought about my scalp chemistry changing either, but of course it would. Also, I'm glad you mentioned MSM b/c the doc told me not to take it (only b/c he didn't know what it was and wanted to err on the side of caution). But if you've taken it with no ill effects, I may consider slowly re-integrating it into my diet b/c I sure do miss it - I get excruciating joint pain too. I definitely appreciate the info and the advice you've shared with me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And Congratulations on your pregnancy with Baby #2! /images/graemlins/baby2.gif

Divastate

Nyambra don't even worry about it /images/graemlins/kiss.gif hehe I'm glad it was just an oversite- I was so excited and then thought maybe my post just wasn't showing up or something. The MSM has been a God send for me! I ran out a couple of weeks ago and felt it immediately the next day so I'm faithful with taking it and never ever forget. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful experience

Nyambura

surfer girl
Thank you, sweetie! As I recall, you have a cute son yourself - and your hair is still together! How do you Moms keep your hair looking so good? Seriously, I need help!

A

anks

Congratulations! I didn't relax my hair at all while I was pregnant I wore braids. I will wear them for like a month or two and then wash and deep condition and trim my ends and let it rest for like two weeks and get it braided back. My hair grew a whole lot while I was pregnant. My suggestion is to hold off on the relaxer.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Thank you, tbcool. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I think I've found a decent braider, so if her prices aren't ridiculous, that will be a great way to have a low-maintainance, stylish 'do w/o the daily hassle. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Otherwise, I'll try relaxing in my 13th week.

Dogmd

Congratulations to you! I have been blessed with my first pregnancy as well, and had the same question... My hair has been very resistant to relaxer's lately and I had no idea why.. It was very hard and rough and my routine products had stopped working for me. I plan on trying to wait until month 4-5 before I relax again! My roots are driving me crazy though! My husband and I are in Brazil for a week and the water here has done wonder's for my hair.. It has returned to its soft and silky state!!!
Congrat's again!!

TOYA