If you had long (bsl+) relaxed hair, and are now natural or transitioning.. why?

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Wow! How did you manage your hair? And keep it from breaking at the demarcation point?

First, I stopped bonelaxing and transitioned to texlaxed so that made it easier to deal with when I finally decided to transition.

Then...once I decided to transition:

Two step protein treatments every 6 weeks like clockwork.

Deep conditioning once a week and then twice a week once I had about a year's worth of new growth.

Detangling once a week with oil in my hair and on my hands to keep breakage to a minimum.

Trim my ends almost every two weeks to keep them strong.

Wearing buns and ponytails almost exclusively.

Combing once a week with a wide tooth comb.

Work in small sections when manipulating my hair.

Washing and conditioning with my hair in twists or braids. Never loose.

kellistarr

havilland, your transitioning maintenance was well planned. It takes everything you laid out, plus a lot of patience on the side. I know from my first transition that stringy, straggly ends can be so frustrating. I think for me, being familiar with my natural hair and knowing what to expect it, helps with the patience factor. You've motivated me to try and transition for as long as it takes, since I've done the big chop before. I have a so much more knowledge than I did the first time around and I will incorporate some of the tings that you did, like washing and conditioning in sections.

shyekiera

First, I stopped bonelaxing and transitioned to texlaxed so that made it easier to deal with when I finally decided to transition.

Then...once I decided to transition:

Two step protein treatments every 6 weeks like clockwork.

Deep conditioning once a week and then twice a week once I had about a year's worth of new growth.

Detangling once a week with oil in my hair and on my hands to keep breakage to a minimum.

Trim my ends almost every two weeks to keep them strong.

Wearing buns and ponytails almost exclusively.

Combing once a week with a wide tooth comb.

Work in small sections when manipulating my hair.

Washing and conditioning with my hair in twists or braids. Never loose.

Thank you!!!! I am going gonna use this as a lay out. I guess I will be at the beauty supply replenishing my protein treatments.