preparing for my texturizer

Amour

I'm planning on texturizing my hair, probably when I am past the 12month transit/ stretch :). I planning the date for 5th april when I will be on a break for uni.

I have been in wevaes for the majority of my time transitioning. Was wondering whether anyone could give me some tips to help aid me plan my texturizer.

1. What texturizer would you recommend?
I was consider the S-curl for men one, heard quite a few good things about that one, the fact that is for men has been a little bit apprehensive but many ladies have commented on how they have used this with great results.

eta: I've just come across texture my way by Organics which seems to allow you to control the texture to achieve... anyone used this before?

2.What should I do do prep my hair from now until I actually texturize i.e. when should I take my hair out from my weave, should I be doing regular DC's

3. As the texturize is a mild like relaxer, should I leave it on for the desired time or should I half the time and dilute with oil, or add conditioner to my hair?

Also was wondering whether a texturizer helped those who previously had hard to manage, comb style hair or was the managebility similar

eta:
Any tips, suggestions, reviews etc v. much appreciated...
TIA

blue_flower

1. I've used Soft N Beautiful Texture Softner before (12/9- touch up). I liked it better than Motions.

2. I've never had braids before so I wouldn't know what advice to give you. Although I have read from other members it's best to wait 2+ weeks after you take your braids out and do some kind of protein conditioning. I'm sure someone else may have a better suggestion.

3. You should do a strand test first before anything else.

lana

Definitely do the strand test first with whatever texturizer you use. That's my first suggestion.

I used Mizani Sensative Scalp for my texlax experience. I am overjoyed with the results. I have 4a/b hair and it was natural for 6 years but it was finally healthy and even and ready to go back to a more "relaxed" exeprience. I kept most of my texture by only leaving the relaxer on for 7 minutes and mixing in a protein conditioner as well.

Nuetralize several times to be sure to get all the relaxer (texturizer) out of your hair and then deep condition. My next one isn't scheduled until July (I plan to do it myself - again).

Best wishes and take pics!

Amour

lana said:
Definitely do the strand test first with whatever texturizer you use. That's my first suggestion.

I used Mizani Sensative Scalp for my texlax experience. I am overjoyed with the results. I have 4a/b hair and it was natural for 6 years but it was finally healthy and even and ready to go back to a more "relaxed" exeprience. I kept most of my texture by only leaving the relaxer on for 7 minutes and mixing in a protein conditioner as well.

Nuetralize several times to be sure to get all the relaxer (texturizer) out of your hair and then deep condition. My next one isn't scheduled until July (I plan to do it myself - again).

Best wishes and take pics!

still waiting your pictures of your text ;) I will definately take some pictures.

How did u guys do a strand test, i.e. cutting abit of hair or applying the text to a section part of the hair???

Lana would you recommend a relaxer but for less time or a texturizer?

blue_flower, I think I may have heard its best to wait at least two weeks now you say that, dang thats a long time.. My natural hair is soo rebellious that I will definately find it hard to leave out for that amount of time whilst at uni :(
Thanks for the replies guys ;)

lana

Hmm, it's hard to say, I chose a relaxer because that's what I'm used to. I knew that Mizani was trustworthy and sure enough...my hair turned out great.

The only thing I can say is to go with what works for you. I took pictures with a regular camera and just need to get them developed and scanned in. (a lot of work) This is why I need a digital camera. (lol)

I would also wait two weeks after taking out braids. You want your scalp to be in the best possible condition. Oh and make SURE and base your scalp really well. That helped me with no burning or irritation.

I can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Amour

lana said:
Hmm, it's hard to say, I chose a relaxer because that's what I'm used to. I knew that Mizani was trustworthy and sure enough...my hair turned out great.

The only thing I can say is to go with what works for you. I took pictures with a regular camera and just need to get them developed and scanned in. (a lot of work) This is why I need a digital camera. (lol)

I would also wait two weeks after taking out braids. You want your scalp to be in the best possible condition. Oh and make SURE and base your scalp really well. That helped me with no burning or irritation.

I can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Thanks for that, think I wil go with the s-curl texturiser I have alot of good reviews with it...