Pressing hair with conditioner in it

ComfortablyNumb

Can you press or use high heat on hair that has a non-leave in conditioner in it. I have ion straightening conditioner in my hair and although you are supposed to wash it out, it has become my favorite leave in. However, I have never pressed my natural hair with the conditioner in it and a friend of mine told me that if you use heat on hair that has conditioner in it that is not specifically made as a leave-in, your hair will break off. I would like to know if this is true or will I have to rinse this stuff out and wait for it to dry all over again.

SVT

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ComfortablyNumb said:
Can you press or use high heat on hair that has a non-leave in conditioner in it. I have ion straightening conditioner in my hair and although you are supposed to wash it out, it has become my favorite leave in. However, I have never pressed my natural hair with the conditioner in it and a friend of mine told me that if you use heat on hair that has conditioner in it that is not specifically made as a leave-in, your hair will break off. I would like to know if this is true or will I have to rinse this stuff out and wait for it to dry all over again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always leave some type of conditioner in my hair whether I press it or not, but the amount I leave in before pressing is considerably less than when I'm all natural. For a press, I:

1. deep condition
2. rinse
3. lightly distribute conditioner through my hair
4. distribute oil (castor, olive, jojoba, or combo)
5. braid
6. air dry
7. press

Hope I was helpful!