Pressing Iron + HardHead= HELP!!!! (for my friend)

BonnieB

A close friend of mine who I love and adore is soo hard headed. I am no hair expert, however I know that a ceramic, ionic, tourmaline flat iron is safer to use on your hair (with a heat protectant) than using The " Feather Flat " Iron http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/view_shared?p=606def4a7a363ec681889c&skin_id=1703&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
I wish she was not too embarassed to take a pic of her hair so that I could show you ladies what I am talking about but she air dried her hair after washing and used Smooth n Shine Silk n Smooth heat protectant mixed with CHI silk Infusion and her "stylist" used that iron to straighten her hair. It looked great, I can't fake the funk but now, 4 days later, she's calling me telling me how her hair is dry, shedding, and the ends seems to be splitting and looking extremely damaged.

Getting to the point, she wants to wash her hair, clip the ends, rollerset and straighten her hair again but safely this time. I don't think she should straighten her hair again so soon (she's 4? relaxed with 8 weeks stretched hair.. her newgrowth is managable). She asked me to ask you ladies "the pro's" as she calls yall, to chime in. I wish she would stop being a chicken and take a picture but :ohwell:.
Should she get a protein treatment and then proceed to straighten her hair or should she give her hair a break for now?

We thank you all in advance.
**Wait.. we have a pic (the punk gave in :look:) and her hair is dying to be saved. BTW her hair is naturally dry. Please help.

me 031.jpg

Last edited:

mscocoface

I would recommend she does some deep conditioning and possibly protein before she goes near another heating element.

The experts will chime in but she needs to get the breakage and dryness under control or she will just have more of the same and that won't be good.

Also if she has split ends then she needs to trim them. I don't know of anyway that split ends can be saved. Again, the experts will chime in.

Best wishes to her and you are a really good friend! :)

BonnieB

Thanx. Yes I am, a great friend because her hair was great when she was taking care of it on a regular basis. In 4 months she went from full, thick flowing apl to that. smh. She wants me to help her regain her hair and I'm trying but I hope this time she would listen. Atleast I know she would take advice from you wonderful ladies if she doesn't want to listen to me. My goal now is to hide the heat appliances from her and delete her "stylists" number out of her phone. He is such a problem. He wants the money to do the hair but does not care for the damage he is causing. (smh.)

Last edited:

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Aw, poor thing.

Definitely no heat until she gets the dryness under control. How often does she dc? Does she moisturize? What's her reggie?

She really needs to baby her hair right now, especially those ends. Have her try baggying every day and dc'ing twice a week. Airdry only, no blowdryers or anything.

BeautifulNameX

I think you should get her into protective styles. . .like buns or something and baggy the ends at night for a while put her on bootcamp till summer or somethinggive her a roller set and braid outs!

BonnieB

Aw, poor thing.

Definitely no heat until she gets the dryness under control. How often does she dc? Does she moisturize? What's her reggie?

She really needs to baby her hair right now, especially those ends. Have her try baggying every day and dc'ing twice a week. Airdry only, no blowdryers or anything.

She does not have a reggie but we just talked so until September she would be wearing either a bun, tro strand twists or flat twists as a protective style. Washing her hair every 2 weeks or weekly (if she's rocking a bun for the week), she would continue to moisturize her hair daily and dc under a steam dryer with EVERY wash and not when she feels like it. She would be air drying from now on and using protein treatments every 8 weeks. She wants me to keep an eye on her hair so I would make sure she keeps her ends healthy and dusted or clipped whenever it needs to be. I will have my cousin style her hair in protective styles and I would wash and baby her hair until September. Hopefully she learns from this when her hair is finally back to normal.

I'm still trying to figure how I would make time to do this since im a full time college student, work, hit the gym, wash both of my nieces, older cousin and my own hair on a scheduled basis. But it would work out. She's my friend and she (her hair) NEEDs my help now, more than ever.

BeautifulNameX

Great! Good thing she isnt all stubborn like my friends. . . (insisting on using metal curlers or flat iron for 5 years straight then have to cut off all her hair. and get a short cut and want to complain about having bad hair)

Anywho I hope it works out for you guys!

BonnieB

Thanx. Me 2. Most of my friends were stubborn but once my hair went from short, permed and thin to long thick and natural, most of them changed their hair care routine but the rest was like, well her mother has nice hair so that's why her hair is nice" lol. smh. They"ll see that no matter who your parents are, if you take proper care of your hair it would also look "good".

BUMP... BUMP... BUMP... Bumping for responses!!!!.....