Problem Skin? It May Be Your Hair Products!

J 3 a n i O u s

I read this interesting article from a link on my AOL homescreen. Just thought I would share. Kinda makes me wanna go through all my products and see if they contain any on these ingredients because some of them are not only bad for your skin and hair but also bad for your health.

Problem Skin? It May Be Your Hair Products!
Posted Apr 13th 2007 2:35PM by Carmindy
Filed under: Beauty Bar, Hair

Have you ever experienced a break out on your forehead after your hair stylist gave you the new "bangs" of the season? What about the sides of your face feeling dry and itchy after using hairspray? Here is the problem. Many women with sensitive skin can have a reaction to the harsh chemicals and other ingredients that can be found in some of your favorite hair products. It may happen to you even if your skin is normal, dry or oily. Does that mean you need to give up all hair products to ensure a perfect complexion? Not at all, but changing your products when you have a reaction and looking out for some ingredients that may irritate your skin will keep you looking gorgeous.

The top five ingredients that can irritate your skin are:

1. Mineral Oil
A key ingredient in some hair shine and frizz control products, mineral oil is the worst for oily or problematic skin. When it sits on the face for a long period of time it acts like a plastic wrap, cutting off precious oxygen and preventing toxins from escaping the skin which can cause acne.

Arrojo Defrizz Serum ($14) is a great mineral oil-free alternative.

2. DEA, MEA or TEA
DEA (diethanolamine), MEA (monoethanolamine) and TEA (triethanolamine) are hormone-disrupting chemicals found in many shampoos. They're thought to cause cancer so stay away.

Arrojo Daily Shampoo ($10) is an organic, vitamin-rich shampoo.

3. Imidazolidinyl Urea & DMDM Hydantoin
These are preservatives in many hair creams and gels that release formaldehyde, triggering skin irritations and even heart palpitations.

I recommend using preservative-free Phyto Phytolisse Finishing Serum ($22).

4. Fragrance
If you see the word "fragrance" on the ingredient list of your hair product take into consideration that it can sometimes mean up to 400 separate and maybe synthetic ingredients that can cause allergic reactions.

Peppermint oil, among other natural ingredients, gives Aubrey Organics Ginseng Biotin Hair Repair ($15.50) its fragrance.

5. Alcohol
Alcohol dries out hair and skin so if you tend to have dry skin, avoid most hairsprays and volumizers, which contain tons of alcohol.

You can keep your skin clear and your hair beautiful with Nexxus Nexxtacy Alcohol-Free Sustained Hold Style and Finishing Spray ($19.99).