Problems with SEALING

longhaircraver

i AM TRYINg to seal my hair and ends but It doesn't come out correctly! my hair is very wet and when it dries it feels really dry. can someone please tell me what I can use to make it work THANKS:ohwell::ohwell::wallbash:

I seal my wet hair with coconut oil and sometimes shea butter(depends on the mood of my hair). I keep my ends pretty much protected so when I take my bun down they're springy and knot free. When I wear the ends loose or "out" I seal with shea butter because it's heavier and lasts longer.

LHC,

What do you use to moisturize before you seal? What types of conditioners are you using.

LHC,

What do you use to moisturize before you seal? What types of conditioners are you using.

I use pure moisture which is water. When I feel the need to bump it up, if ever, I might throw in glycerin mixed with distilled water and aloe vera gel.

I seal my wet hair with coconut oil and sometimes shea butter(depends on the mood of my hair). I keep my ends pretty much protected so when I take my bun down they're springy and knot free. When I wear the ends loose or "out" I seal with shea butter because it's heavier and lasts longer.

Where do you get your shea butter?

I have two moisturizer...Rusk Smoother as a leave-in and coconut oil/shea butter/glycerin mix (heavier for colder days). I seal with castor oil. It goes on sticky but softens hair like nothing else.

Im new..how do you seal?

This was taken from sistaslicks article on moisture and protein balance...

Also I bolded some information that may apply to longhaircraver.

Sealing in your Moisturizers:
Our hair naturally contains moisture, but because our hair is also naturally porous, keeping the moisture inside is a difficult task. Sources of outside moisture, or external moisture supplementation, are a must for black hair. Water molecules and moisture from these supplemental moisturizing products easily pass into the hair shaft, but they pass out just as easily. The moisture you apply needs to held in by something. Oil.

A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. These molecules are too large to absorbed by the hair strand. Applying oils to the hair and scalp will coat them and trap moisture that is inside on the inside and moisture that is outside on the outside. The key is to lock in the moisture within the strands with your oil. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to eventual dryness. This technique of moisturizing and sealing has really been helpful to me and is a resonating hallmark of my regimen. Moisturizing success is all in the order in which you apply your products.

Sistaslick is definitely a hair expert but I know from other threads that many ladies either
- use water as a moisturizer then seal with oil or
- use an oil before a moisturizer

And these ladies don't experience dryness. I think that if you are having problems sealing it is probably because you don't have enough moisture to begin with or are using the wrong moisturizer or sealer for you.

I actually do an oil rinse in the shower, rinse it out with conditioner, add more conditioner, then seal.

Sistaslick is definitely a hair expert but I know from other threads that many ladies either
- use water as a moisturizer then seal with oil or
- use an oil before a moisturizer

And these ladies don't experience dryness. I think that if you are having problems sealing it is probably because you don't have enough moisture to begin with or are using the wrong moisturizer or sealer for you.

I actually do an oil rinse in the shower, rinse it out with conditioner, add more conditioner, then seal.

I do oils/butters alone as well with no issues , But typically, on a 'full do my hair day' from start to finish, I do my hair in this order

CoWash/Rinse/Oil/Conditioner

so its like I'm sealing in the water, then sealing in the oil , I dunno, but it works:yep:

eta Its been shown that some oils do absorb into the hairshaft

Last edited:
Back