Product Ingredients...

Do you choose products based on the listed ingredients?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I visited the bss yesterday and found it a challenging exercise. I was looking for a new shampoo and was forced to rely on products I recalled others on the forum had recommended. Having this forum is great for learning about products others are using, but I feel its necessary to know about the listed products. This can enhance a trip to the bss.

Please post any websites or information that helped you and can help new members learn about product ingredients?

My poll is aimed at finding out how many of us know about product ingredients, which is most essential for happy hair growing.

Last edited:

WesternEyes

Yes, i have to. There are certain ingredients that really don't go with my hair, for instance mineral oil, so I always have to rule that out of any product. Then my conditioners and creams have to contain some type of 'cones' in it. So the first thing I do is look at the back of the bottle and wiz through the ingredients.

deedabug

i read the ingredients then if somethin bad is in there that may cause problems or that i have had problems with in the past...i check how far down the bad stuff is on the list..then check the cost...u know if it doesnt work then i'll know if it ws worth the loss lol

star

Knowing the ingredients is the only way to go. It empowers you to know what works for your hair and what does not. ;)

ximenia

I voted yes. I too avoid products with mineral in them and stick to the CG routine. My hair has really thrived since using natural products.

Neroli

While I don't necessarily "ban" any particular ingredients for my hair, I do want to know what's in the products I use and am a LABEL FANATIC in all things, especially food because I DO ban or try to eliminate certain ingredients from my diet.

For skin and haircare, it's not so much a "ban" as it is INFORMATION IS POWER kinda thing. Plus, if the company won't list ingredients on items, I'm wondering, what are they hiding? I mean if they're using good stuff, they should be eager to advertise it because the ultimate best ad is a list of ingredients, IMO. Generally, I refuse to purchase items that don't give full ingredients, I don't care how glowing the reviews or recommendations . . .

CharUK

"Honestly, Truly"
I voted sometimes, I'll work out where the 'bad' ingredient is, then choose.

I *always* look though
x

Divastate

Yes, I absolutely refuse to buy anything that has sulfates, mineral oil, or petrolatum in it. It definitely helped cure me of my PJism because there aren't tons of products that can pass my criteria. I also know there's certain ingredients that my hair really loves so if a product contains enough of those without the bad ones I'm more likely to try it.

Porsche19

I always check the ingredients. Some things my hair just doesn't respond to very well.

I've always got to keep a lookout for petroleum, waxes, drying alcohols, too much mineral oil and too much fragrance.

LadyPBC

I voted sometimes. My preference is for all natural hair products but many times I buy products just cuz you all recommend them - like Skala on sale for $1 at Big Lots and Sabino Moisture Block (also on sale online) like Miss Jessie's Buttercreme I love even though I think it has mineral oil in it (ouch). I will buy some products just because they are all natural without a clue of how to use them.

LaidBak

I have learned that some ingredients just simply don't play well with my hair (glycerin, cones, keratin and collagen proteins). Using them will cause me to have a set-back in the long term so its vital that I look at what's in a product.

beautyaddict1913

I study the ingredients list so it takes me all day in the bss...the workers continuously come up to me and ask "maam are you sure you don't need help with anything?" lol I used to go by products I heard mentioned on here but thats how I ended up with a box full of products with cones and I avoid cones!

The best website I have ever found for educating yourself on ingredients in products. You can literally pull out your whole stash and search each ingredient one by one...this is my go to when I'm unsure!

http://www.tightlycurly.com/Ingredients.aspx

Hope this helps!

belldandy

please go on. i'd love to hear more about that.

it's sad, but products marketed towards blacks tend to have a lot more cheap ingredients like petrolatum (which I find very drying) and mineral oil, as well as waxes. Some white ones do but most don't; even if a white product does have petrolatum or one of the others listed it is not one of the first 4 ingredients. I did notice that white products tend to have a lot of cones but that can be remedied by regular hair washing...i always look because any product might also contain a harsh, drying alcohol or something I may be allergic to.

NIN4eva

I pulled up LHCF on my iphone in the middle of Sally's the other day and started reading ingredients. The sales folk were all, "Can we help you?" And I was like, "Nope."

beautyaddict1913

I pulled up LHCF on my iphone in the middle of Sally's the other day and started reading ingredients. The sales folk were all, "Can we help you?" And I was like, "Nope."

lol...thats me too I always pull out my phone and google something like "metholaxane bad for hair" and I normally get an answer about what it is and what it does!

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
I try to use more natural things in my hair. It took me awhile to realize that most of the products in the bss are not good for out hair at all.
Im still learning about ingredients in hair and skin. Let me tell you when you read and you have knowledge the people in the store get mad when you pick something up and read it. They don't care, they want your money even though it may make your hair drop out on the floor. I know not to buy anything with cones, mineral oil or petromleum in it. Since i have been looking at lables and leaving majority of the crap in the store and indulging in the more natural stuff,stopped with the creamy crack. My hair has grown and gotten stronger. I really wished i had payed attention to my hair because it would be alot further along than it is right now. You live and you learn.

NaturalBoss

I read all ingredients for food, skin and hair because I'm highly allergic to dairy. Since what I'm using right now for my hair is working, I'm just gonna stick with it so I don't have to worry about my allergies, or something not working for my hair.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
it's sad, but products marketed towards blacks tend to have a lot more cheap ingredients like petrolatum (which I find very drying) and mineral oil, as well as waxes.

True. It took me 30 minutes to find a deep conditioner in the BSS because the one I saw someone on Youtube recommend has Mineral Oil as ingredient #2 and so did most of the other ones. I saw one on the shelf advertised as an "Olive Oil" conditioner and the third ingredient was mineral oil while olive oil was at the bottom of the list. :nono:

MarieB

Yep, I always check labels before I buy...even things I've used in the past because sometimes they change their formulas. Especially since I started using BKT's...gotta keep it silky-smooth and stay away from those sulfates/salts!