PRODUCT REVIEW: Hair One Cleansing Conditioner for DRY Hair (Olive Oil)

AudraChanell

PRODUCT REVIEW: Hair One Cleansing Conditioner for DRY Hair using Olive Oil (knock-off of WEN)

PRODUCT: Light scent, creamy consistency, pump mechanism works well; used product down to top of label by end of process.

NOTES: Requires a LOT of scalp hair manipulation, 4-6 minutes total so detangling could be an issue

CONTROL: **NO OTHER PRODUCT USED except a little Grape seed oil when half dry. I shampooed my hair in the kitchen sink, but the shower is a better option for the required and to prevent detangling issues.

TIME SPENT: 10 minutes bending over kitchen sink

HAIR STATE: 6 day old flat twists had been moisturized daily so full of product

SUBJECT: 3c, Normal Porosity, Medium Density, Transitioning Hair, 4.5” of natural hair, remaining texturized hair hangs 2” below shoulder

GRADE: B; my hair felt as if I had used a basic shampoo and rinse out conditioner, but not as if had deep condition with a really moisturizing conditioner. I have NOT used WEN to compare.

PROCESS:
1. Rinse hair for 1 minute
2. 5 pumps for crown and 8 pumps for nape
3. Massage scalp for 2-3 minutes, and re-wet hair and add
4. 7 more pumps on length of my hair
5. Rinse for 1 minute and REPEAT PROCESS
6. Leave on 2nd shampoo for 3 minutes detangled with wide tooth comb
7. Rinse out and used 1-3 pumps as leave-in
8. Blow dried half way and added Grape seed oil; dried completely
9. Put in 6 flat twist with side part

REVIEW:
Alas, the gates of heaven and hell remained closed so I’m still on earth after using this cleansing conditioner. I like to ascend, but that could be more from the habit of a traditional shampoo, which lathers and tingles then a deep condition with a cap. The only cleansing conditioner, conditioning shampoo, or 2-n-1 product to truly floor me was Cream of Nature’s Conditioning shampoo. I mean I would knock a senior citizen clean OUT for them to bring that product back! **SNICKER* Okay, okay, I digress, and of course that’s a JOKE, so back to the review!

The smell was light and pleasant and the product felt slightly coating on my skin after I rubbed it into my hands. The bottle didn’t clog and pumped effortlessly each time and I did feel the amount I used was sufficient for my past shoulder length hair.
I used 20 pumps for each shampoo as listed above, and though it did not lather I could feel some sort of mild sensation on my scalp like a very light reaction to menthol.

Because it requires so much scalp manipulation time I decided to massage GENTLY and finger comb thru every 10 seconds or so to prevent tangling. It was definitely more moisturizing than traditional shampoo as I could detangle, but it wasn’t AS moisturizing if I had used my staple conditioner. That’s not a big deal because most fail to do as well on my hair.

I blow-dried my hair with nothing but 2 pumps of the product to see just how moisturizing it truly is. I used a paddle brush, didn’t notice any shine, but also didn’t have much trouble blow-drying, and I don’t blow dry often at all. I wanted more moisture, shine, and a heat protectant so I used a dime-sized amount of Grape Seed oil and thoroughly dried my hair. I then put my hair in 6 flat twists.

For this being a product that served to clean and moisturize my hair I think it did well. My hair didn’t feel rough or as if I had not used any conditioner so I was pleased. Would I purchase again, sure, if it’s n sale, but a final decision will be made after I’ve used it a few more times.

Overall I like the product and will use both bottles unless otherwise compelled by an adverse effect. Considering I liked Hair One, I may try the higher end WEN to see if I experience any notable or remarkable difference to account for the additional $30. Oh, and I do mean remarkable. LOL

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

faithVA

I am a 4b, 75% shrinkage, low porosity natural and I have used this product several times. I started with the samples and then purchased the full bottle. It worked better than the argan and whatever the other is. I also tried several Wen products (fig, pomegrante, 613 or 316 or whatever) and I did not notice enough difference to pay the additional cost.

I don't try to detangle with it because I still use it like shampoo. I only detangle during my DC step. I keep my massaging strickly to my roots so it doesn't really tangle any more than any other shampoo. I also baggy after the first shampoo and before the second.

I like it but not sure I will repurchase. I found the 4 Naturals shampoo to be as gentle and leaves my hair softer. I also like my mudwash better. However, this worked better than 90% of the shampoos I have used and worked better or as good as Wen for me.

I have this product in rotation so I haven't used it in a while. Now that I have my protein straight I may see if my hair likes it better.

Thanks for the review OP.

Lissa0821

I really like Hair One Olive Oil the best (that Argan oil is from the pit of hell). Have used it for years but I am really enjoying VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying Conditioner more. With Hair One, it works best when I wash my hair first with shampoo. If there is any product in my hair, it just makes my hair feel a little coated. I will finish this last bottle but will probably not repurchase it.

AudraChanell

It's great to know you didn't notice much difference. I cannot imagine any product being worth an additional $30. I'd rather live without it. LOL