Product Review: Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo

againstallodds

I post all my product reviews on my blog but I'm trying to get into the habit of sharing them here as well.

Price: $23.00 for 8.5 fl. oz tube (pictured is the 3.4 fl. oz tube that comes in the kit)

Purchased From: Amazon.com

Promises: For all hair types; ideal for color-treated and chemically processed hair. Lather in this rich, sulfate-free shampoo to gently cleanse, soften, and protect. Natural Awapuhi extract balances moisture for manageability and shine. KeraTriplex, an exclusive blend of keratin protein, rebuilds and repairs for healthy looking hair.

Ingredients: water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, cocamidopropyl betaine, disodium cococamphodiacetate, trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, laureth-4, laureth-23, phenoxyethanol, glycerin, polyquaternium-5, keratin, hydrolyzed keratin, oxidized keratin, hedychium coronarium (white ginger) root extract, polyquaternium-10, hydrolyzed wheat protein, biovlavonoids, citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) peel extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, guar hydroypropyltrimonium chloride, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, magnesium nitrate, fragrance/parfum, benzyl salicylate, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool

Directions: Massage into hair wet. Rinse.

My Assessment: I never really had a moisturizing shampoo simply because I've never really found one that was balanced, that softened yet still imparted my hair with a bit of strength, until now. I had always felt like my staple products where somehow in complete but happy to say this little gem fills the void for me. One of the things I like most about this shampoo is that it has a thick consistency. Its consistency is that of a conditioner rather than a typical shampoo. When I squirt it into my hand, it doesn't move. I can't count how many times I've had shampoo run through my fingers. It's annoying, watching my pennies wash down the drain. The second thing I really like is that it lathers up really well (hence the name). Even when my hair is coated with oil from my hot oil treatment and I'm sudsing my hair for the first time, it still lathers. And now I know, lathering ability and efficiency do not have a linear relationship, but I just love bubbles and a nice lather haha. The third thing I like is that this shampoo is sulfate free shampoo. I don't mind sulfates, but the fact that this shampoo doesn't include them is a plus. The fourth and of course most import thing I like about this shampoo is how it makes my hair feel once I've rinsed it out. My hair feels stronger, without feeling stiff, matted, or dried out, yet softened. Nor does my hair feel stripped or rough. The only con I have about this shampoo is the the price! I think it's a little ridiculous, just my opinion, but yes I still bought it because it's the best shampoo I've come across for my hair.