Protective Bunning Concern

RngdeCurls

I recently decided to start bunning as a protective style but I had a few concerns. The only style that I really like is the top knot, but I know that its not a good idea to wear my bun in the same place everyday. Is there any way to prevent damage without changing my go-to style? Thanks ladies!

The main reason people say to switch where the bun is to prevent stress in the same spot everyday. If you use a hair pin (or other accessory)in different spots to secure your bun instead of an elastic or hair tie in the same spot every day that could offset the damage of your hair accessory damaging that section of your hair.

The main reason people say to switch where the bun is to prevent stress in the same spot everyday. If you use a hair pin (or other accessory)in different spots to secure your bun instead of an elastic or hair tie in the same spot every day that could offset the damage of your hair accessory damaging that section of your hair.

That sounds like a great idea actually. I've been itching to try those Good Hair Days Magic-Grip Pins anyway. :grin:

I wear my bun in the same spot all the time and my hair has grown a lot from wet bunning.

How do you secure your buns?

Those spinny pins are like 8 bobby pins. And I get hardly any stress on my tresses! I highly recommend! :)

via LHCF App

ForumRunner_20130730_195959.jpg

Here ya go!
The Goody ones are the best but they are $$$ unless you catch them on sale or at the Dollar Store.
I'll use the cheap ones too but the coating wears off faster and the ends can be sharp if you're not careful.

I can make buns with just one of these guys strategically placed. I like my Princess Leia buns though so I usually end up using two. :)

Spinny pins? Mind posting a pic? :)

via LHCF App

And my hair isn't nearly as thick as your's, judging by your profile pic (your updo is gorgeous) so if you can get away with just one pin, I should be good. Now I wonder if I can find some instructions online...

Hey fellow bunner! :)

I bun in the exact same spot for months with no problems. I actually get the best retention when I bun daily.

The key for me is keeping my hair super moisturized overall with just a touch of protein for strength.

Uh oh! You might have messed up announcing yourself as an established bunner, I have a million questions. :blush:

You said that you bun daily, are you taking your hair down everyday to moisturize or every few days? And next, what are you using to secure them? Honestly, I'm feeling a little better since you're the second person to say that you didn't have to move your bun around and still retained length. I'm fighting for my top knots! :lol:

I swear by banana clips. For me it is way less stress on my hair and edges than ouchless bands. I credit banana clips for allowing me to still have edges while Bunning religiously!

I swear by banana clips. For me it is way less stress on my hair and edges than ouchless bands. I credit banana clips for allowing me to still have edges while Bunning religiously!

I recently converted to banana clips! I'm amazed at what I can do with them :)

Those who bun in the same spot, what are you using to gather your hair? I'm noticing some breakage from where my ouchless band is, but only on one side of my hair and in one section. Should I moisturize that piece more when I'm bunning?

Uh oh! You might have messed up announcing yourself as an established bunner, I have a million questions. :blush:

You said that you bun daily, are you taking your hair down everyday to moisturize or every few days? And next, what are you using to secure them? Honestly, I'm feeling a little better since you're the second person to say that you didn't have to move your bun around and still retained length. I'm fighting for my top knots! :lol:

RngdeCurls

I take my bun down every night, lightly moisturize the ends and sleep in a loose bun secured with a good day hair pin.

My daily bun is secured with a silk scrunchie or cut-off knee high stocking, bun net, and open-ended wide bobby pins. I'll tag you in one of the bunning threads.

Those who bun in the same spot, what are you using to gather your hair? I'm noticing some breakage from where my ouchless band is, but only on one side of my hair and in one section. Should I moisturize that piece more when I'm bunning?

hypek you can try upping your moisture, but bunning breakage concerns me. Try loosening your band and moving your bun around every other day. When you take your bun down, massage your scalp and lightly moisturize your ends.

Bunning should assist with your retention, not cause unnecessary breakage.

Hmmm, I do all those things, but I use a Goody ouchless hair tie. I think that may be the culprit. I'm going to try a cut stocking or a silk tie and see how that works.

The rest of my hair is thriving, but that one section gives me pause. I'm also thinking of doing crown braids until that piece grows out as it's right at the line where I secure my tie.

I recently decided to start bunning as a protective style but I had a few concerns. The only style that I really like is the top knot, but I know that its not a good idea to wear my bun in the same place everyday. Is there any way to prevent damage without changing my go-to style? Thanks ladies!

I've worn my bun (well when I could still wear one lol) in the same spot since I was 12 years old :look:

I dont listen to that mess. Only time I've ever seen a problem with wearing my bun in the same spot was with phony ponies and when my hair started to get too heavy for certain spots.

ijs

You ladies have got me feeling real confident about my bunning but I have decided to ditch the elastics. In fact I found this super cute high bun tutorial that I'm hoping can become another staple if it works out right. I'm waiting for my hair to dry a little more before I try it out. Wish me luck! :lachen:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vY6Zwrr7VVs

Why thank you! Your hair seems pretty lush too. Hair pins/clips/spirals are a gal's best friend! :)
Those spiral pins actually have a short learning curve. Or at least they did for me.
I also like these things for voluminous buns and ponytails. I feel like I get a bit more sturdiness than with pantyhose:
http://www.hairbungee.com/
There's tons of knockoff versions which I've found to be generally effective. The cheaper ones you have to be more careful of hair snagging.
The aha moment for me in bunning was realizing that my buns don't have to be tight to be secure or neat.
I think a lot of damage in bunning is just uneven or excess tension.
I find clips and pins, particularly the spirals, to be the least tense on my hair. I haven't quite got the hang of hair sticks but I've seen some pretty buns with those too.
HTH! :)

And my hair isn't nearly as thick as your's, judging by your profile pic (your updo is gorgeous) so if you can get away with just one pin, I should be good. Now I wonder if I can find some instructions online...

via LHCF App

Last edited:
I wear my bun in the same place with no issues. I use a jaw clip to secure my hair, wrap the length around it and secure with hair pins. From a purely cosmetic standpoint, the main issue for me with bunning is making sure I have a fresh edge up at all times, especially when it's later in my relaxer stretch.

From a purely cosmetic standpoint, the main issue for me with bunning is making sure I have a fresh edge up at all times, especially when it's later in my relaxer stretch.

Sorry if this is a dumb Q...
"Edge up" as in with clippers?

Proverbs 31:30

bronzephoenix I bun with a banana clip and that's what I do. I take my hair and fan it out starting from the middle then I start wrapping it around. I use between 2-4 hair pins. One on each side and sometimes one in the front and back. I bun in the same spot and haven't had any issues.

I get something along these lines

Last edited:
bronzephoenix I bun with a banana clip and that's what I do. I take my hair and fan it out starting from the middle then I start wrapping it around. I use between 2-4 hair pins. One on each side and sometimes one in the front and back. I bun in the same spot and haven't had any issues.

Your bun is the bun that mine wants to be when it grows up. You have some beautiful hair! Do you have trouble getting all of your hair into the banana clip and how does it hold throughout the day?

Your bun is the bun that mine wants to be when it grows up. You have some beautiful hair! Do you have trouble getting all of your hair into the banana clip and how does it hold throughout the day?

Thank you lol. Nope I have no problems. I just gather it like I'm doing a ponytail and put the top comb in, and then the back and snap it. You actually have to be careful it's not too tight because these things hold. I've never had a problem with it coming apart or loosening. I always got headaches using hair ties no matter how loose I did them, but since I started using the clips I haven't had that problem.

i had a question for those naturals that bun, do you always do your buns on blown-out or flat ironed hair? or can you just get by with stretching it through braid outs?

I bun at the exact same spot everyday... I take it down every other day to M&S.. I secure with a silk scrunchie, wrap around, and pin up ends.... no retention issues....

I have been bunning my hair for years now and lately I've been wondering if bunning is damaging my edges:sad:

I wear low buns and when properly moisturised, my natural mbl hair can feel heavy. I think I either need a better p/s or start being a str8 natural and wear my hair in looser styles that are less stress on my follicles.

Back