Protective style suggestions

Rachel

I'm looking for protective style suggestions and air drying tips for shoulder length hair.
I tried putting my hair in a wet bun, but it didn't work to well. The ends came out kringly, strangely bent, and drier than the rest of my hair. I'm not sure if it's my technique or something else?

Rachel

I'm using Nexxus Humectress & Headress. The rest of my hair came out soft, except for the ends and the very top layer of hair. I'm just not sure if my ends came out funny because I did my bun wrong or if they lacked moisture. To be honest I'm not really sure how to put a bun together. I twist my hair (only shoulder length) around than put a scrunchie on top. I was wondering if there was another way of drying the hair after a wash (outside of rollerset)to keep the ends and top of my hair moist. I assumed that's what a protective style was? Again, I'm not really sure what a protective style is either!?!

soulchild

Hmmm, I'm not sure why your ends came out the way they did. The top layer of hair is often drier than the rest because it is always exposed to the air and the elements.

Somehow your ends ended up lacking moisture. Usually in wet buns the hair in the bun remains slightly damp. Maybe you can try braid-outs using a thick butter or the headress (I'm not really familiar with this product) on the ends to protect them. Saturate your hair with water and your moisturizer then seal it.

For the dryness, maybe deep condition more often.

inthepink

I'm wondering if it could be the type of product you used to moisturize your ends. What did you use? Maybe you need to try something different. When I wore a bun, I'd spray my hair with water/conditioner/oil and then put ORS carrot oil or Proclaim coconut oil on the ends. It always came undone still moisturized.

Rachel

Thanks for the advice. It worked!!!
Last night I sectioned my hair into six parts and applied a dime/quarter size amount of Dudley's PCA moisture retainer and a few drops of Shea Butter oils to each section, paying special attention to the ends. I loosely twisted each section into a mini bun and secured with bobby pins. It made a HUGE difference. My hair came out ultra soft and silky with a nice wave. I can't believe the difference it made. I'm going to 'try' and do this every night.

Hairlove, are you concerned at all about the buildup of products on your hair with the oil/moisture mixture? How many times do you wash your hair a week?

Thanks,

Rachel

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
If you roll your hair after it has air-dried, that will take away most of the "air-dried" look.

inthepink

Rachel,

I wash my hair with shampoo every sunday and conditioner wash on wednesdays - so eseentially twice a week. I don't have a concern for product buildup b/c I usually only apply products the day I wash. Daily, I will "typically" mix with a conditioner spray to re-braid my hair and sometimes moisturize my ends after work.

Also, these sprays that I make are mostly water just to get my hair damp again for re-braiding, typically.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Supergirl said:
If you roll your hair after it has air-dried, that will take away most of the "air-dried" look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that Supergirl! Does rolling the hair after airdrying make it smoother?