Protective Stylers: Need Techniques (i.e Buns, French Rolls, French Twist, etc.)

Sweet C

I am trying to incorporate more protective styling into my routine, but I have a hard time achieving a protective style like a bun and it last all day, so here are a few of my questions:

1) What do you use to "slick" back the hair and it hold (preferably without using gel)?

2) How often do you redo the PS (bun, twist, french roll, etc.)?

3) If you take it down at night, what do you do to your hair (oil ends, wet, etc.) then and how do you protect it for sleep (satin scarf, satin cap, braid, etc.)?

goldensensation

I re-do my buns and other updos everyday so that I can moisturize my ends frequently. I've recently found that putting my hair in a ponytail (at night), heavily coating my ends in moisturizers and rolling them (with satin or silky nylon covered sponge rollers) helps to keep them smooth and supple.

Sweet_Ambrosia

1) What do you use to "slick" back the hair and it hold (preferably without using gel)?

I lightly spritz my hair with water apply a small amount of gel (Let's Jam or Eco Styler Gel works well) brush my hair back using a boar brush, then apply the scarf method. Without gel its not gonna hold, I tried it and it didnt work. As long as the gel doesnt contain any alcohol your hair should be fine.

2) How often do you redo the PS (bun, twist, french roll, etc.)?

I redo my buns, ponies and french rolls everyday to moisturze my ends and to keep the style looking fresh and neat, for my braidouts I redo the style every 2-3 days.

3) If you take it down at night, what do you do to your hair (oil ends, wet, etc.) then and how do you protect it for sleep (satin scarf, satin cap, braid, etc.)?

I moisturize my ends lightly, make a braided ponytail and pin it up or apply the baggie method then cover with a satin bonnet or scarf half of the time.

Isis

Once I make my bun or french twist/roll, it stays that way for the rest of the day. I only use my hands to smooth my hair into place.

At night, I take it down and moisturize my ends with either Constant Care for Ends or Protectiv Healthy Ends. Then I make one or two loose twists in the back and pin my hair up with Good Hair Days pins. I protect my hair with a silk or satin scarf and a silk cap over that to keep my hair in place and moisturized.