Protective Styling (buns, rolls) and crispy ends

LovinLocks

"Do not concern yourself with the changing seasons, nor "protecting" your ends during changes of seasons. If you care for your hair appropriately there is no need to focus entirely on protecting the ends from the elements. Even though they are the oldest hair, your weekly treatments if done religously will keep them in relatively good condition. As far as a style, I do not encourage nor do I recommend french rolls, buns or any of that because I know for a fact that when the ends are tucked against the other hair, the other hair takes all the moisture from the ends making them crisp (other clients have experienced the same)." ~ http://www.ubhpublications.com/HairTips/GeneralA.html

Trying to stay awake, I did some surfing and ran into the above excerpt. Me thinks I must put so much oil and condish in my baggy (when baggying) or must use so much product when I bun that I have not noticed the above.

What about you, ladies? :beer2:

I like ma buns/rolls, etc. I'd rather add more oil, condish (whatever) than give 'em up.

Eclass215

Hmmm, I've never thought of that before. I guess the key is just moisturizing no matter what. As long as the ends (and the rest of the hair) stay conditioned and moisturized, it should be ok to expose them. I really don't know, but I'll consider it when styling from now on though.

ElizaBlue

"Do not concern yourself with the changing seasons, nor "protecting" your ends during changes of seasons. If you care for your hair appropriately there is no need to focus entirely on protecting the ends from the elements. Even though they are the oldest hair, your weekly treatments if done religously will keep them in relatively good condition. As far as a style, I do not encourage nor do I recommend french rolls, buns or any of that because I know for a fact that when the ends are tucked against the other hair, the other hair takes all the moisture from the ends making them crisp (other clients have experienced the same)." ~ http://www.ubhpublications.com/HairTips/GeneralA.html

I don't know about this one LovinLocks. The statement seems to contradict itself. If the ends are in relatively good condition and they didn't need protecting why would the other hair be able to take moisture away from the ends and why would they become crisp? If all the hair is the same.

It seems to me that for this to happen the ends would have to be dry already which means they should be babied more and not exposed to the elements.

I personally keep my hair in pin curls. I split it down the middle and pay close attention to my ends with coconut oil. Then I pin curl each side with the ends inside the curl. With all that my ends will still become dry if I wear my hair down for long periods.

HairQueen

I wish this were true then I wouldn't have to wear these protective styles which I hate.

It will be interesting to see the comments people make on this, I don't think many will agree with the statement:nono:

Solitude

When I was in middle school/high school I used to wear buns all the time and it jacked up my ends, but I believe it was my lack of hair care knowledge now.

I have worn buns from time to time since joining LHCF and I use Elasta QP Mango Butter on my ends. They stay nice and soft & moisturized.

Christelyn

I'm going to have to disagree as well. My ends are their driest and crispiest when exposed to the air and elements--they just pop off. When I'm in a bun (which I still do moisturize) my ends feel a whole lot better. Besides, just look around. The women (no matter the color) who wear their hair up most of the time have the longest, shiniest hair. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

LadyPaniolo

Isn't that quote from Cathy Howse? :ohwell:
Um... not to be contraversial, but it took her like 6 years to get as much growth from her program as I got in 2 years by applying what I've learned on LHCF. Actually, I got MORE growth. BCed to a TWA, and now I'm pushing BSL... :grin:

So... yeah. I'm not trying to listen to anything she has to say. :look:

MoniintheMiddle

I have to disagree with this also. I wore my hair in a french roll for like two years. During that time it grew from an earlength bob to apl....and my hair was healthy.

LovinLocks

YESSS! Thus, "I like ma buns/rolls, etc. I'd rather add more oil, condish (whatever) than give 'em up.":clap::yay:

JustKiya

If your hair is 'stealing' moisture from your ends, your hair must not be fully moisturized in the first danngone place, and if the rest of your hair isn't properly moisturized, your ends are (being the oldest) going to be even drier. :rolleyes: That's a load of what a horse leaves behind.

My ends stay softer and more luscious when they are tucked away in the middle of a nest of hair, rather than swinging in the wind.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
I had an issued with this too when I did my buns. Now I just drench my doughnut buns with conditioner and a heck of a lot of oil. No more crispies. :)