Protective styles for NL/SL hair...

blasianbeauty

For those of you with hair that is between neck and shoulder length - what protective styles do you wear? I tried doing a mini bun, but at this point it's not all that cute and looks a little helpless. :sad: The only other way that I can wear it at this point is like a mohawk in the middle of my head (with a bunch of bobby pins and the hawk starts in the middle of my head, not high up like a rock star). :look: Are there any other protective styles that I can do so that my hair won't rub on my shirts? Thanks. :)

smoothie696

Have you tried a bun cage?

I am not nl/sl anymore, but i know i was for a while, and i wore cornrows and then a wig to get from nl to sl, then to apl. I know wigs aren't for everyone, but thats what i used as a protective style and it worked for me as far as retaining length.

blasianbeauty

I am not nl/sl anymore, but i know i was for a while, and i wore cornrows and then a wig to get from nl to sl, then to apl. I know wigs aren't for everyone, but thats what i used as a protective style and it worked for me as far as retaining length.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm really not a cornrow type girl, and I've never wore a wig in my life! :lol:

Mz.Shug

Roller set your hair and after throw it into a bananna clip! I have a photo in my fotki. PW Hadassah. French braids. French rolls. Bantu knot outs.

ajacks

My protective styles are half-wigs and sew-ins, but since you hate cornrows I would go with braid outs.

chichibean

I wear Scunci octopus clips, they remind me of tarantulas, but they get the job done. Most stores carry them. :)

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100840&navAction=jump&navCount=1&id=prod1401802

Roller set your hair and after throw it into a bananna clip! I have a photo in my fotki. PW Hadassah. French braids. French rolls. Bantu knot outs.

That is exactly what I do... I'm shoulder length right now tryin' to get to APL :rolleyes:
But roller sets and banana clips look great. And when I am doing regular cowashes, I put my wet hair up in a black clip and there is no pulling or strain on my hair!

LaPetiteCoquette

If you're not against using faux hair, you can make a bun with your own hair and then pin a phonytail on or those hair scrunchee things for the illusion of length and fullness. That's what I'm doing for now. Can't wait 'til I can get rid of it! :ohwell:

vestaluv1

I'm shoulder length and the other day I just combed my hair back and rolled my hair inwards from each side, tucking in my ends and using a hairstick to hold the hair up. (Pic in my siggy).

Soliel185

before my hair was long enough for a bun I wore a french twist. It was sleek, protective, and easy to do. You can use Good Day hair pins, they hold really well and won't damage your hair.

smoothie696

Wow...I remember these from YEARS ago! :yep: Would these break off the hair and where are they selling them now?

I have seen some in the BSS, but here is the link where I found this one. They are between 5-10 dollars.

http://www.rhinestonejewelry.com/buncovwhol.html

I been using them for awhile and I havent experienced any breakage. But I would say that when sticking the stick through be gentle and do not force it. Once you get the hang out it you can slip it in and out without any problems.

Hope this helps

NCRapunzel

Thanks for posting this. I've gone from a length of 2.5-3 inches last fall to the nape of my neck. I've worn wigs as a protective style but I'm ready to try something a little different. Unfortunately, my teeny weeny pony's can't be worn out of the house--or at least not without attaching a fake pony for length. I'd love to know what you guys are doing.