Heat Free & No Protective Styling =

wyldcurlz

I'm trying to GROW my hair as quickly as possible, but I'm not a huge fan of protective styles (i have a round face, buns & the like don't flatter me).

I'd like to get opinions or past success stories with this method:

I'm going to go heat free - no pressing, no flat ironing, no blow-drying - and wear my hair curly with CW's every few days and daily rinses (or dampening my hair daily.) I've found products like Curly Pudding & Gel hold my curls nicely and I have no pouf. So I can wear it down, or pull it into a ponytail.

Will going Heat-Free but not using protective styles help me maximize growth?
Can I reach my goals just as quickly as I would going heat-free WITH protective styles?

My hair is 3b/C
M/C ii/iii
Natural

locabouthair

i just started doing the combination of both. i can't say what the results are because its too soon. leaving the heat alone and wearing protective styles are supposed to help you retain length. i can't say what the results would be if you did one without the other. i think its a good idea to do both so you can maximize your chances of retaining length.

wyldcurlz

hmmm....that's exactly what i'm trying to figure out. i'd like to hear from people who got good or bad results doing this method. my end do tend to split, but i was also getting my hair blown-dry, pressed, flat-ironed &/or curled every week or two.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Can I reach my goals just as quickly as I would going heat-free WITH protective styles?

That's a good question.... I have been doing the no flat-Iron for about 2 months and I am on the 3 month baggie challenge. I had to step off the baggie challenge this week with my phony ponytail, but I am back on it because I wore my transitioning hair ponytail yesterday, and was lookin like a murderer :wasntme: at work, no offense to anyone. So I had to rebound back today with my phony ponytail.

Anwyay, I don't like the protective styles because it appears like it's thinning out my temples. I do wear loose ponytails too, my hair just don't like to be pulled at all. I think that you can have good hair growth with or without protective styles. I've had pretty good growth lately just from staying away from my flat-Iron that I used everyday for 15 years..

Queenie

This is the method I am using. Protective styles cause my hair to break off. :mad: So I don't have a choice. I rarely ever have breakage and no split ends, since I've been doing a few conditioner washes every week. :grin:

Trinity1

wyldcurlz said:
I'm trying to GROW my hair as quickly as possible, but I'm not a huge fan of protective styles (i have a round face, buns & the like don't flatter me).

I'd like to get opinions or past success stories with this method:

I'm going to go heat free - no pressing, no flat ironing, no blow-drying - and wear my hair curly with CW's every few days and daily rinses (or dampening my hair daily.) I've found products like Curly Pudding & Gel hold my curls nicely and I have no pouf. So I can wear it down, or pull it into a ponytail.

My hair is 3b/C

M/C ii/iii
Natural

I can testify that the method of no heat and no protective styling CAN and WILL allow your hair to grow. In my opinion the more I wet my hair the faster it grows. I condition wash every other day and braid my hair every night with lots of carot oil creme and leave in conditioner. In the morning I take it out to wear a fantastic looking braidout style. I just trimmed two inches a little over a month ago because my bra strap length hair was uneven. My hair has since grown past bra strap and its all even so it looks very thick. Thank God I havent had to deal with broken ends from wearing my hair out everyday and I think its because my hair is never dry,its always moist. I have never consistently worn protective styles. I do wear my hair in buns or ponytails sometimes but 90% of the time I wear my hair down.

TeeTee2

imstush

It all depends on the person...what may work for some may not work for others. I rarely wear my hair in protective styles, I do cw every other (or every 3 days) and then i mostly wear it out. My hair grows super fast with out the heat, so this method works for me.

Last edited:

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Hey wyldcurlz!

I prefer using no protective styles and also I am on a low heat regimne with my hair since joining the forum last Oct. My hair has grown and I really do think that lowering the amount of heat I used on my hair and taking my vitamins daily really helped me to achieve more length and thickness! :D

Lorraine

To really maximize your hair growth I would follow your regimen and also pay close attention to your diet. When I eat a lot of sugar, intake caffeine and don't take my hair vitamins my hair won't grow as long nor as strong. Also, watch out for tangling. The longer it gets the more it tangles -- heat or no heat. :yep: