PROTEIN DIRECTLY AFTER RELAXER? THOUGHTS?

taytay86

Hi Ladies,

I've always learned that protein treatments should be applied on the second wash after the relaxer, not directly after. I was just surfing through youtube and found this relaxer video where they applied protein directly afterwards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu6jOEbn1vQ

Is this correct and OK? Perhaps if you use a mild protein treatment? I mean the hairdressers explaination made sense, but it just goes against everything I've personally learned on this site.

Thanks!

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Protein step is actually fairly common here as far as I've seen. The idea is that since you lose so much protein in the relaxing process, then putting in a quick shot of it just prior to neutralizing (and while your cuticles are all open and stuff) will help give some of that strength back to the hair.

I don't do it personally because I find that just doing my regular protein treatments is enoug, but I know that there are some relaxed ladies here who have had good results doing it.
In any case, I don't think it can hurt, unless the product specifically says not to use it during relaxing, which is the case with Nexxus Emergencee.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I 'prefer' to do it after Rinsing the Relaxer prior to Neutralizing. When I was attempting to do it myself, I always did it that way and usually used a good Protein Rx or Hair Rebuilder etc...because like Chaosbutterfly said, at that time, your Cuticle is open and the bonds of your hair have been broken down to accept the relaxer during the straightening process.

Your hair is most vulnerable at that time. It's then when I like to pull out:

Dudley Hair Rebuilder
Joico K-Pak
Nexxus Keraphix
Sebastian Penetraitt
Redken Deep Fuel
Tigi Dumb Blonde Reconstructor

etc.....to rebuild it. Before I begin to neutralize. My last 2 Relaxers I went to the 'Beauty School' and didn't want to get into the discussion, so I just had them Relax, Neturalize and Slap a Conditioner on it.

They used Affirm 5n1 last time which is a Reconstructor.

Then I slip on a Plastic Cap & Scarf and come home and finish it up. Last time I did my Garlic Treatment and Steamed.

1st Wash Day I re-neutralized did a Protein Rx.

MsBoinglicious

Yes I put protein in my hair after I rinse out the relaxer but before I neutralize it. it makes a big difference in my hair.

prospurr4

I do the protein step as well, after rinsing the relaxer, but before neutralizing. I'm texlaxed and use Revlon Realistic Lye Relaxer.

taytay86

Wow ok thanks ladies. I'm actually surprised at the responses. So please break it down for me: you relax, then rinse well, apply protein then what? Steam the hair as in the video then shampoo out the hair? Or do you just apply the treatment quickly then shampoo out? Also what happens during your first wash after the relaxer? At that point I normally do the protein treatment.

In my mind I'm thinking neutralize as quickly as possible so you don't over process the hair, that's why this is all foreign to me. TIA

Last edited:

LaidBak

I went to one stylist who would regularly do a hard protein treatment after my relaxer (like Aphogee 2 Step). I moved across town and went to a new stylist. When I asked for it from her she said no, because it would cause my hair to snap off. I have been struggling to retain my length, so maybe she is right. *shrug*

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
^ That's weird. I don't think you're supposed to do a hard protein...it can't be good for your hair to be sitting there for that time without being neutralized. Especially if you have to go under the dryer to do the treatment.

My understanding is you relax, rinse well, apply the reconstructor, let it sit for a few minutes, rinse that out, and neutralize well.

I wouldn't want to steam, because I feel that it would be redundant. Steaming opens up your cuticles to let your conditioner penetrate deeply, but since your cuticles are already open from the relaxing process, I don't see the point.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@taytay86

I would Relax, Rinse forever, apply Reconstructor/Protein, Neutralize, (Chelate because I was using no-lye) Do a Garlic Cowash or Alter Ego Garlic Treatment under dryer.:yep:

The Water (Rinsing) is already lowering the PH Balance.

Deep Condition with something moisturizing (I usually Steam).

Rinse DC, use a PC product (right after relaxing I use French Stablizer Plus).

Last edited:

lamaria211

Once when i was relaxed i used Aphogee 2 min reconstructor right after i relaxed and my hair reverted instantly

LaidBak

I know that no-lye kits come with a protein reconstructor, so it seems like a no-brainer that you can and should use protein. But I never thought about the difference between lye and no-lye. I'll have to go back and look at some of my journal entries to see if there was a correlation between relaxers that didn't take and protein use.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
When I used Linange Shea Butter Lye, they recommended the Reconstructor Step prior to neutralizing.:yep:

They even had a separate reconstructor that they sold for this particular step. :yep:

I really liked doing this step prior to neutralizing, while the cuticle is open and to restore the protein lost in the relaxing process, but since I've started going to the Beauty School, I don't want no drama.:look:

Just Relax me, Neutralize me, DC me and let me go home (And Don't Mess Up).:lol:

If I go back to DIY'er, I'll continue to incorporate this step.:yep:

MissTripleChoc

I use a no lye relaxer, I prefer to thoroughly neutralise my hair first before applying a light protein. I fear the longer my hair stays with relaxer in it, will over process my hair.
I like using a light protein after to replace what the relaxer has taken away.

taytay86

I know that no-lye kits come with a protein reconstructor, so it seems like a no-brainer that you can and should use protein. But I never thought about the difference between lye and no-lye. I'll have to go back and look at some of my journal entries to see if there was a correlation between relaxers that didn't take and protein use.

why would it be a no brainer? I use botanicals relaxing kit and I've never seen a protein treatment in the box. Come to think of it, when I used other brands, I never saw protein - just the leave in conditioner. Unless thats what you're talking about?

taytay86

When I used Linange Shea Butter Lye, they recommended the Reconstructor Step prior to neutralizing.:yep:

They even had a separate reconstructor that they sold for this particular step. :yep:

I really liked doing this step prior to neutralizing, while the cuticle is open and to restore the protein lost in the relaxing process, but since I've started going to the Beauty School, I don't want no drama.:look:

Just Relax me, Neutralize me, DC me and let me go home (And Don't Mess Up).:lol:

If I go back to DIY'er, I'll continue to incorporate this step.:yep:

LOLOLOLOL:grin:

LaidBak

why would it be a no brainer? I use botanicals relaxing kit and I've never seen a protein treatment in the box. Come to think of it, when I used other brands, I never saw protein - just the leave in conditioner. Unless thats what you're talking about?

My bad, I meant the old school drugstore kits. I've been relaxed for 30+ years so I would think that for me it would be a no-brainer because every kit I had ever used had a reconstructor in it. I don't know why I even questioned the idea.

taytay86

My bad, I meant the old school drugstore kits. I've been relaxed for 30+ years so I would think that for me it would be a no-brainer because every kit I had ever used had a reconstructor in it. I don't know why I even questioned the idea.

Np, thanks for the clarification :)
AND your bun is off the chain btw, how did you get it to look so nice?

LaidBak

Np, thanks for the clarification :)
AND your bun is off the chain btw, how did you get it to look so nice?

Thanks. It was a fluke actually. I was in the bathroom experimenting with some concorde clips that I had just bought. I just twisted my hair and slid one in. I liked it so much that I had to photograph it.

lolascurls

I used to do the protein step before neutralizing when I was self-relaxing! My hair was strong and didn't feel any ill effects from this technique!

Isis33

I use a no lye relaxer, I prefer to thoroughly neutralise my hair first before applying a light protein. I fear the longer my hair stays with relaxer in it, will over process my hair.
I like using a light protein after to replace what the relaxer has taken away.
Hi MissTripleChoc,

How long do you leave in the mild protein conditioner (with or without heat)? Do you also do a moisturising deep condition after that?

mshoneyfly

I have been self-relaxing for about 30 years (since I was14). I have always done the mid-protein step. My current stylist (haven't been since starting my hhj) is trained to use the mizani butter blends system. This relaxer calls for the mid-protein step after rinsing but before neutralizing. I think this is the proper way to do based on explanations given above.

Proteins designed to strengthen should not stay in long. About 5 minutes is long enough. I agree that there is no need to steam

Carmelella

Protein step is actually fairly common here as far as I've seen. The idea is that since you lose so much protein in the relaxing process, then putting in a quick shot of it just prior to neutralizing (and while your cuticles are all open and stuff) will help give some of that strength back to the hair.

I don't do it personally because I find that just doing my regular protein treatments is enoug, but I know that there are some relaxed ladies here who have had good results doing it.
In any case, I don't think it can hurt, unless the product specifically says not to use it during relaxing, which is the case with Nexxus Emergencee.

Dayam! Dayam! Damn!! I didn't know I wasn't suppose to use nexxus emergencee right after. I just did that last week. I gotta read those instructions . It definitely seemed milder than aphogee 2 step though.

hillytmj

I go to a stylist for relaxers and the protein step is included in the Affirm Relaxer System process. It makes sense to me because it seems like the best time to add more strength would be after applying and removing the relaxer. This relaxer system has worked well for me over the years.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm also using Affirm. Yesterday, I used Affirm's Sustenance as my Mid-Step.

My last Relaxer I used Affirm 5n1.

First wash Post Relaxer, I'll use either one of these again this time, under dryer.

Honey Bee

I use Aphogee 2 min for the low pH (4.5, iirc), so I'm kinda neutralizing while I do it. I don't know about reversion. I'm texlaxed, so I actually want a little reversion. I'm always afraid it'll 'take' too well. :ohwell:

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I used Redken DC in the blue jar. I dont care for it period, but its one of those things where if its fixing my hair then it i won't break the relax day regimen. It has protein and ceramides in it. I leave it on for 2 minutes; 5 is too much and causes too much texture.

Please excuse my iPhone; it's trying to get it together

Angelicus

I have been applying a protein-rich conditioner in my hair (not hardcore like Aphogee 2-Step) immediately after rinsing out my relaxer for over 8 years with great success!

MissTripleChoc

Hi sorry for the late response, i use this site on my Ipad and it never tells me I have notifications. I leave the protein on for 2 mins, i don't want to ruin my newly relaxed hair by making it stiff as a board! I use a low PH protein - aphogee 2 min r constructor as that also aids the neutralisation process. HTH