Protein, Protein, Protein...

JazzAngel

Recently my hair started to break very badly from what may have been a protein overload. I have been trying to moisturise with Nexxus Humectress or on occasions Aussie Moist. Last night I realize that they both have some form of protein.

Can this addition amount of protein be further damaging to my hair? Are there conditioners that do not have protein?

Thanks

JazzAngel

Another question: Aloe Vera Gel is wonderful but Aloe has protein does that mean that it can also be damaging to the hair?

Kaela

I'm sorry that happened to you...I think that even though those two conditioners contain protein, if it is listed towards the end of the ingredients, I would think you should be ok, particularly if the conditioner is marketed as a moisturizer.

I really like Aussie 3 minute miracle. I leave it on w/o heat for several minutes, and I have found that to be fairly moisturizing...and since it is cheap, I think its worth to try. I couldn't find protein as a major ingredient. It does list Hydrolyzed Casein, but I believe that is from milk and it should not harden your hair.

I'd just look at some drugstore brands and check to see if they contain protein, you might be surprised what you find.
As far as aloe, I know that it can harden your hair...many people complained about Cathy howse's deep conditioner hardening their hair and one of the main ingredients is aloe.

I hope other people can contribute their experience here. Best wishes JazzAngel.

brenda55

Hi jazzangel
When ever you use protein conditioner, you must follow up wiht a mosturizing conditioner, like keracare humecto,or a good quality mosturizer. Since hair is about 80 or 90% protein...it will break your hair if you don' know what you are doing. I use a protein conditioner every 4 weeks or right before a relaxer to strengten, then a mosturizing conditioner. alway use a condtioning lye relaxer. If in doubt go to a experienced hair stylist/hairdresser.

JazzAngel

Kaela I like the Aussie Moist it seems to make my hair very soft. It is really cheap and I since I have been trying to condition my hair daily I found it easier because it is so cheap. $4.59. NOt bad! The only thing is that I noticed that it still has protein and really in my case I dont know if that is a bad thing. The Nexxus Humectress also has amino acids as well as Keratin.

I am soo confused about which proteins are drying and which are not.

For example I used an avocado to condition my hair. The after effects were surprising. My hair felt sooo very strong. Unfortunalely a few days later my hair started to break again. I read somewhere that the avocado has protein.

Again which proteins can dry out the hair and which onces are moisturising?

brenda 55 I now know that I should always follow up the protein conditioning with a moisturing conditioner. But, with sooo many conditioners containing some sort of protien which is moisturising and which is strengthening?

By the way for anyone who wants to give their hair a good dose of strengthening conditiong definately try a very ripe avocado. Besides the breaking it was really awesome and my hair was a good bit shinny.

Nyambura

surfer girl
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
JazzAngel said:
Are there conditioners that do not have protein?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi JazzAngel

I like Clairol's Herbal Essences Fruit Fusions conditioners. They're moisturizing and inexpensive.

Kaela

I'm confused on the whole protein thing too, since I'm not completely sure which ones harden and which ones don't...which is why I try to look for concentrations.

I do know that animal protein (aphogee), egg and aloe protein really harden the hair, and protein from milk isn't as strong. But as far as silk, soy, keratin, wheat, etc...I don't really know. I believe that I read somewhere that proteins from non-animal sources are more gentle, but don't quote me on that