PSing and your Hairline

Beautytalk69

I'm still somewhat new to this whole hair thing..so bare with me. I have noticed a lot of women wear their hair up for Protective styling and i was wondering how do you maintain a healthy full hairline? I'm currently doing braids as a ps and when I get length, I will be bunning. Do you ladies have any tips for me or anyone who wants to wear their hair up in a protective style as far as protecting their hairline?

I usually keep my hair in a bun. My hair line hasn't been affected by it because I don't pull it tight at all.

My hairline has taken a beating from my ps choices (weaving). Since now I braid my own hair, I'm very careful about the amount of tension my hairline gets (practically none) and now my hairline has greatly improved.

I alternate between buns and half wigs, the half wigs I remove daily, and moisturize my hairline daily, I also use gel daily,to smooth my edges, have not had any issues , I deep conditon at least once a week, when in half wigs my hair is usually in several plaits and tucked under, when bunning I do 4-5 days at a time, never leaving the bun in overnight,hth

Not sure what types of protective styles you are referring to. Some styles are more edge friendly than others. And if you are talking about adding extension hair that adds to the complexity.

As a previous poster mentioned, keep the tension on the edges to a minimum whether its your own hair or you have hair added to it. If you are natural, you definitely want to keep this area moisturized regularly. I would include massaging this area gently on a regular basis as well.

I typically don't pull on my edges but I don't try to achieve that straight smooth look in the front. My hair is so curly, trying to force it straight is tension in itself.

I stopped using a brush on my edges and I believe it has made a big difference. I spritz my hairline with water, apply some aloe vera gel and use my hands to smooth my hair up. I use a Goody's elastic band for most of my updos and I make sure that it is not tight. I then use a scarf to lay my edges down for 15-30 minutes.

Bunning...I use ORS Edge control and a soft toothbrush - dip it in water and gently brush down those flyaways! Looks shiny and because of this gel - it's never hard.

Right now I am braiding my own hair. Edges are done smaller than the rest of the braids. I dont care if people thinks it looks stupid! I have THIN edges that grow in like 100 different directions. I keep them moisturized with my beloved EVCO. I am also thinking about getting a short microneedler to help grow in some of the weaker areas. HTH.

Bunning...I use ORS Edge control and a soft toothbrush - dip it in water and gently brush down those flyaways! Looks shiny and because of this gel - it's never hard.

Right now I am braiding my own hair. Edges are done smaller than the rest of the braids. I dont care if people thinks it looks stupid! I have THIN edges that grow in like 100 different directions. I keep them moisturized with my beloved EVCO. I am also thinking about getting a short microneedler to help grow in some of the weaker areas. HTH.

What's EVCO? Is that extra virgin coconut oil?

I've also been wearing a loose bun no problems with edges, its actually the fullest its been for a while.

Do you apply gel to your edges..or do you just brush it back?
I use a VERY small amount EcoStyler w/ Argan oil to my edges beause they tend to curl thoughout the day. Not a fan of it though. I need something with a lighther hold. It dries crunchy.

I have a toothbrush set aside w/ my hair tools just I can use it to dip into castor oil and gently brush back my edges/hairline. My hairline stays healthy and thick!

@MsChelle - same here. I use banana clips to create my buns to lessen the tension.

@Beautytalk69 - I use Bee Mine Curly Butter on the nape and edges. I apply it with a toothbrush that's used for hair purposes only. To smooth my hair I rake a fine tooth comb across the top layer of my hair. It's important to note that the comb is not combing thru my strands but gently passing over them for smoothing. No brushing.

Back