Quality or Quantity?

cutiestyles

In your experience do you find that you get better results from the more expensive hair care products? Or have you discovered cheaper products that give the some results and some change in your pocket?!
I really like the Keracare line but in the UK its quite pricey so I treat myself now and again. There's so many other products (behind the counter) I'd like to try but they are just too extortionate. What do you think, is it worth splashing out/do you have a combination of both/more or less?

I use a mixture of both. I wash my hair too often to invest in expensive shampoos and conditioners. But, I could not live w/o my Keracare Silken Seal so I will splurge on that. I use CON Ultra Moisturizing Shampoo and I can save money by buying the large Professional size of that. I LOVE the Kenra Platinum line but that is expensive. I just watch for sales and on Ebay for deals. WGO, another staple for me, is $10 around me so that can add up if I use it too often.

I don't think that some of the expensive products give the quality you expect and that some of the cheaper products are better. I think there are some ladies on a K.I.S.S. challage to keep thir products at a minimum so they may have suggestions of good quality inexpensive products.

For me Professional products woork better for my hair. I have tried cheaper items, but I just don't get the same results. I am willing to splurge on professional products because that is what works for me.

nikki1971 said:
For me Professional products woork better for my hair. I have tried cheaper items, but I just don't get the same results. I am willing to splurge on professional products because that is what works for me.
Me too. I think people convince themselves that the cheapies look just as good, but I found the expensive products give you a more "fly" appearance.....

Keep in mind that i am natural and not relaxed so my hair needs may be a little different- i use a lot more conditioner than anything else. i have a mixture of both in my arsenal- but i usually use dominican products or a shampoo concentrate(that i dilute w/ water)- anything else- i get the generic version at Sally's Beauty supply. Some Professional Products work great on myhair, Some do not. I have found quite a few cheapies to mid-range that make my hair look and feel great.

i really havent been able to tell the difference yet...i mean to me expensive products is anything thats over 10.00 is expensive to me haha...i mean i use so many different products but i just havent been consistent to tell yet...

Well the cheapest product I use is CON and I have only found one conditioner (kenra reconstructor $17) that compares to the softness I get from it. I can get the professional size CON for $10 at one BSS. That is a deal. But, I can never use what some people use: the cheap Suave and VO5 stuff :ohwell: . Kenra Platinum and Keracare are so much better for my hair. My new favorite product line is Culture. It's not that expensive, but one container of the MoistureAid Conditioner is $5.29 and I can use a jar and a half after each wash. I wash 2 times a week so it adds up. I went to Rite Aid and bought 4 jars that will only last me 1.5 - 2 weeks. Even my oil, Emu oil, is SO expensive!!! But, there are so many people on the board that have success with cheaper products.

I usually use Aveda, frederic fekkai, Rene Furter, Phyto, and KeraCare. There is a BIG difference between grease shine(sheen) and a natural sheen with little product....It looks nice and healthy to have healthy shiny BOUNCY hair with little product...that comes from healthiness within the hair and not gooked on stuff:lol:

We all have different needs. I find that some cheaper products work for me like Sauve, while some product like Biolage Conditioning Balm :), thats around $20 dollars, does wonders for my hair. Other things like oils can be kinda pricey, but I find I need oils, and conditioners more than any thing else.

So for me it been a mixed between the two.

nikki1971 said:

Same here.

I used to use the redkin line before the hair boards and it did nothing for my hair. It was still short and breaking. Now I use CON and swave humectress and lustraslik conditioner, and my hair has never been better, I guess that it all depends what products work with you hair, regardless of the price. That my 2 cents.

I think it all depends on what your hair likes...I've been using NTM shampoo and conditioners lately and I find it just as moisturizing as the nexxus expensive products i've used in the past (sometimes even better)... my hair loves NTM shampoo and conditioner...but everyone's hair is different...some find cheaper products better and some don't. JMO

Last edited:
Personally for me it's mixed. I have tried expensive salon products that have done nothing for me and I've had wonderful results with some 'cheap' products. To me, it seems like cheap shampoos (with the exception of Cantu shea poo) do nothing but dry out or tangle my hair. WHile more expensive ones such as Nexxus etc work wonders, or anything natural like Jason's works great. With conditioners it seems like the more expensive stuff works wonders for my hair (UBH, ORS, Nexxus) I tend to use the cheap stuff for co-washes and if they are really bad I mix them with olive oil and some cholestrol so that I can get my money's worth.;)

I think a mixture of both is good. most of my products are cheap, shoot I shop at walmart. but, there are a few expensive products that my hair has to have like phytospecific

Personaly mid-high range priced shampoos are better for my hair such as CON, Nexxus, Nioxin, keracare. However, my hair does not respond positively to expensive brand named conditioners....My hair loves VO5 Conditioners and cheaper deep conditioners like dark and lovely ultra cholesterol and their dry hair healer.

I am a PJ Queen and find most salon products on sale for under 5 bucks and some work great and some dont example Nioxin,Redken,Paul Mitchell.
I have cheap conditioners that work great like DDTA and Suave Milk & Honey
a must in my hair regimen.
I think it just depend on what your hair like whether its expensive or cheap I am using what gives me results.

I have been using cheap stuff all my life and i would have never thought that using expensive brands is better. I have ventured off into expensive brands and it is absolutely true. They are better. because they make my hair more easier to handle. I stopped using the drugstore brands (except for NTM). I do love CON, EQP, WGO and that's about it as far as cheapies. I want to try the porosity controls to see if they work for me as well.. Nexxus, Kenra, and keracare are my new faves. I've already sampled all Mizani products and i plan to sample all of my new faves so i can pick and choose the best of the best.... I also want to venture into elucence...... (LAWD, Please don't come out with a new expensive hair product line...)

Back